Question about marriage visa extension

An American friend of my husband is coming next month to meet a friend of mine, and probably getting married.

He is 62 years old, retired with a $1,000 US monthly retirement income.

My husband told me that he will need to keep a bank deposit here of about $4,000 US for 2 months to qualify for the marriage extension, but if he will not getting married the deposit will have to be about $16,000 US, and made from the US to a Thai bank.

I believe that my husband is right, but I will like to be sure before telling my friend about, and also I will like to know how soon will need to get married to apply for that visa extension after arrival. He is coming with a tourist visa.

Thank you.

Does this "friend" know he is "getting married" to your friend ?

Has the gentleman ever met his proposed "bride" smile.png

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage are

1. 400.000 Bht in a Thai Bank account

OR

2. A certified income of 40,000 Baht/Month.

The US $ currently buys approx 33 Bht and therefore an income of $1000 US/ month will fail to meet option (2) re

I am uncertain what the $16,000 (528,000 Bht) could possibly be related to ..................................

Edited by nzexpat

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai is 400K baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or 40k baht income. There is no requirement to prove the money came from abroad if using the money in the bank option.

For an extension of stay based upon retirement it is 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days (first extension then 3 months) or 65K baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

After he arrives and does get married he should go out for a single entry non-o visa in order to apply for the extension of stay.

OK....About "combination of both"

My husband said that with $1,000 US/month income, to get the combination he needs just to deposit $4,000 in the Thai bank account for the marriage extension, and $16,000 for the retirement extension.

I need to confirm that to my friend. Thank you.

Does this "friend" know he is "getting married" to your friend ?

Has the gentleman ever met his proposed "bride" smile.png

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage are

1. 400.000 Bht in a Thai Bank account

OR

2. A certified income of 40,000 Baht/Month.

The US $ currently buys approx 33 Bht and therefore an income of $1000 US/ month will fail to meet option (2) re

I am uncertain what the $16,000 (528,000 Bht) could possibly be related to ..................................

1) They never met in person, just chatting on skype for the last 3 months....but....she speaks English well.No problem. I married my husband after dating here 6 times in 2 months. We are doing very well, having a lot of good times. I work, he fish, and take care of the garden.

2) I need to confirm numbers for the combination income/bank deposit for marriage extension or retirement extension. The $16,000 is related to the combination for retirement extension with $1, 000 US monthly income.. It is correct?

3) Anyway, money is not a problem. My friend is wealthy. The American is not wealthy, but a very nice guy. Good looking people together....and my husband needs a fishing buddy.

For the extension of stay based upon marriage there is no combination allowed. It is only money in the bank or income.

Only an extension based upon retirement allow for a combination of the 2. Which at $1000 income would require about $12,242 in a Thai bank to go with the income at an exchange rate of 33 baht to the dollar.

Edit; Based upon your last post the 400k baht in the bank in his name only would be an option Their is no requirement to prove it came outside the country or that it is all his money.