Visa run to Vientiane - Is this the best option for me from BKK?

My current visa expires on the 7th of June.
So I will need to be out of the country that day and return a few days later and am considering a run to Vientiane, apply for a 60 day multiple entry Tourist Visa there and return back.

I believe the process takes about 2 days, so maximum I would be staying in Vientiane is 3 nights.

The cheapest possible route I have found is to go by plane to Udon Thani for around 1000 Baht, then minibus to the border for 200 baht then

bus over the border for 15 baht then from the other side to Vientiane for 300 baht ( per person) by shared taxi.

My question is in 2 parts.

A. Is this a viable route? or there another way I can go and apply for a visa from Bangkok, any other country?

B. If this is the best option for me, is there anyone here looking to do the same trip around the same time, willing to do it with me and share any shareable costs?

If you are on a 60 day tourist visa entry now you can extend it for 30 days at immigration.

You will get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane (not a multiple entry).

You apply the morning of one day and pickup your passport the next afternoon.

A. Your route is certainly the easiest. Laos is the only neighboring country where you can get a 2 entry tourist visa.

I am sure that is all achievable with the EXCEPTION of the "multiple entry Tourist Visa" which does not exist and is , therefore , not available !

Perhaps a double (Two) entry TV is being sought ?

Many thanks for the quick response guys, I have already extended my visa at immigration for another 30 days so I have to leave now in June - what exactly is a double entry Visa?

Do I need to leave the country during the 60 (90) days? or will I be able to stay on in the country , extend to 90 days and not leave until my 90 days is up?

Edited by diginomad

A 2 entry tourist visa allows you to get two 60 day entries that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. After the first 60 days and 30 day extension you have to leave the country to use the 2nd entry on or before your permitted to stay date or the enter before date on the visa (3 months from date of issue in Vientiane).

Vientiane is a good choice if you want to arrive by air and keep costs down. Nok Air has a special price for the month of June to Udon Thani from both Bangkok and Chiang Mai if you book May 11 or 12. I have never needed transport from the airport into town, but I have taken the local minivan service from Central Plaza mall to Nong Khai and it was very cheap, 55฿. I recently returned from another popular place to receive a visa, Savannakhet, Laos and even though I was flying from Chiang Mai I transited through Bangkok so I essentially followed a route that many would take from BK. If you decide on this route and wish to keep costs down fly from DMK to Nakhon Phanom with either Nok or Air Asia and from there it is 100 km to the Thai city of Mukdahan that borders Savannakhet. Arrange a metered taxi to meet you at the airport in Nakhon Phanom or take the public bus (100฿) to take the 18 km ride to the bus station into the city. There you can catch a public minivan for 80฿ to take you directly to friendship bridge in Mukdahan. The authorities will not allow you to cross the bridge on foot and you will need to catch the bus (45฿) to cross the bridge and in theory you could hop back on once you clear Laos Immigration but in practice it will not wait for you if you are getting a visa on arrival. When you clear immigration there will be jumbos (tuk tuks) waiting (price negotiable) to take you wherever you wish to go into Savannakhet. I rented a scooter in both cities and spent a few extra days in each and the conclusion is that I preferred Savannakhet (less visa applicants, friendly locals, maybe cheaper on the ground) over Vientiane,(Udon is closer to the border and Vientiane is a bigger city with more entertianment options) but if you fly (Nakon Phanom or Ubon Ratchathani) you would not make it in time to apply the same day at the consulate.

Edited by kanook
  • Like 2

The easiest visa run is Savannakhet. Go to mo chit station vip bus to Mukdahan 700 baht arrive inh the morning take the international bus to savannakhet stay at Leena guest house for 250 baht eat at Lins Cafe which is an easy walk from the guest house best restaurant in southeast asia!

Submmit your passport at the consulate before 11 am and pick next day at 2pm

Savannakhet is a sleepy colonial era town with no hassles at all including at the consulate.

Do nnot say sawadee kap in Lao or they will think you are an idiot.

Hello is Sabaidee!

Thank you is Cap Chai!

Thats all you need to know..