running on the beach

h90

I am thinking of starting to run again and have a nice 7km here.

Do I need shoes on the sand?

I walked there today and at close to the water the sand is actually surprising hard. And it is slopping relative strong. Does that angle hurt me?

Can I run there without shoes?

Actually my joints and tendons are all a bit damaged and loose, but currently nothing hurts and I would love if it keeps that way.

Does that put some higher stress than normal running on my legs? Than I might forget about it or start super slow first.

I grew up on the beach in Hawaii and always ran barefoot on the beach. The slope could be a problem, though. If you can run at low tide and find a flatter surface, there would be less chance of hurting yourself. Don’t forget to look out for debris, shells, stones and a variety of other objects that could ruin your run.

Don't know abut running but I used to do a daily couple of kliks walk on the beach just at the waterline and had the cleanest healthiest feet ever.

The sand would remove any hard/loose skin and the water would keep feet and toenails clean.

My feet were wonderful biggrin.png

Don't forget that low tide is never at the same time ; after 8-9 am, it's hot for running, I don't think you can run every day

bare foot, good for running , sand is little bit soft but not too much

Don't forget that low tide is never at the same time ; after 8-9 am, it's hot for running, I don't think you can run every day

I don't worry for the heat. I go with the bicycle at 11 AM for a 3 hour trip. On the beach you have the cooler wind from the sea and I can even jump into the water.

I am not into serious running, just an alternative to the streetbike.

bare foot running on the beach sounds very much like paradise.....

I don't worry for the heat. I go with the bicycle at 11 AM for a 3 hour trip. On the beach you have the cooler wind from the sea and I can even jump into the water.

Running??!!!

This is a cycling forum - get a Fatbike if you want to go on the beach!biggrin.png

Running??!!!

This is a cycling forum - get a Fatbike if you want to go on the beach!biggrin.png

There is no Running forum so this is the closest to it laugh.png

Think of biking without bike......laugh.png

Running??!!!

That's like going for a ride without stopping for a beer, either on the way home or when you finish - sure, its possible, but why?

Running??!!!

That's like going for a ride without stopping for a beer, either on the way home or when you finish - sure, its possible, but why?

stopping for a beer? That's not necessary, there special holders. (Need to be made from carbon for serious drink-biker)

post-12692-0-41868200-1431398648_thumb.j

I on the other hand, have never understood how one could view alcohol and exercise as compatible. I suppose it is possible, but why?tongue.png

Many think like you and drop the exercise tongue.png

After a good training there is nothing better than an ice cold beer. Unfortunately there isn't something like a good beer in Thailand....

It's better to run on the harder sand than any other part of the beach, I did it on and off for many years. The slope shouldn't affect you too much as your foot should be going into it a little and as one poster mentioned, your body will tell you if it does. The only dangers I found with running on that part of the beach were objects in the sand, especially small rocks and boats moored to the beach. It's not always as easy to see them as you might think.

Also, an option for the OP is to Google "minimus trainers" (shoes) as they will offer more protection from some of the debris/hygene hazards found on the beach while also providing the feeling of running/walking barefoot.

Edited by HLover

It's better to run on the harder sand than any other part of the beach, I did it on and off for many years. The slope shouldn't affect you too much as your foot should be going into it a little and as one poster mentioned, your body will tell you if it does. The only dangers I found with running on that part of the beach were objects in the sand, especially small rocks and boats moored to the beach. It's not always as easy to see them as you might think.

I walked there.....I was afraid of glass but to my surprise there wasn't any.....complete bottles, problematic things were higher up at the beach only.

There are sharp edged shells, but they are so brittle that they don't cause any problems.

Time will tell if I am right, or if I have to operate an rusty nail out of my foot sad.png

Just get minimus shoes and save the worry, stitches, tetanus nail infections, ect....

<1,000 thb

Well I love the barefoot thing. So I'll do it barefoot first and after I get problems I'll go with your recommendationlaugh.png

But I have a strong skin on my foot and not easy to get problems (a few times I had to pull some parts out in the workshop but never got an infection).....I'll try but thanks a lot for your recommendation.

• 8 months later...

i beach run alot. i think u should wear running shoes. they absorb shock. also yes. sloping beaches can put stress on one leg . then u turn around and even it out. but much better to run on flat sandy beach. NOW MY QUESTION. IS I LOOK FOR LONG FIRM FLAT SANDY BEACHES TO RUN ON. THE ONLY TWO IVE FOUND IN THAILAND ARE ON LANTA AND KRABI...............ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY OTHERS. I THINK THIER MIGHT BE SHORTER ONES ON PHUKET, BUT U HAVE TO DODGE TOURISTS WHILST RUNNNING. PS. DANANG VIETNAM HAS GOOD RUNNING BEACH. ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY OTHERS IN EITHER CAMBODIA, VIETNAM OR THAILAND OR EVEN PHILLIPINES??