Two passports when leaving Thailand?

No problems as they don't stamp the passports in Europe. As long as you have an EU passport.

If you are from outside the EU it might be a different matter. Depends of what passport you do have.

Therefore, entering Sweden with a Swedish passport is no problems. They don't care where you've been.

No stamps. No nothing.

Hi there, and thanks for responding. That helps a little, however let's simply turn the question 180 degrees, because they DO stamp passports in Thailand (or they've always stamped mine) what happens on the return? According to my Thai passport I've left the country a while back, but gone nowhere, and now I'm back. Doesn't this cause problems?

Thanks again

TL

You are entering Thailand with a Thai passport, and leaving Thailand with the same. Then you have both an entry stamp and an exit stamp.

That's all you need. With a dual citicenship you leave and return your other country with your other passport, from whatever country that may be.

If they are questening where you've been, just say Europe, as they don't stamp the passports there. At least not in any country in Europe I've been to, and that is almost all of them.

Well, in former East Germany they did, but that's history now.

Hi again

Ok then. So if my second country DOES stamp passports I have to either start misleading the authorities that I've been instead to Europe (and hope they don't feel inclined to check my previous outgoing flight) or I have to present both passports at all ports to be safe?

Does that sum it up?

Thanks

TL

As far as I remember, non-EU and non-EEA foreigners' passports are stamped upon entry to the Schengen zone. No idea about exiting though. But in any case, the OP doesn't need to explain this as he is a Swedish citizen whose passports are not stamped when entering or leaving the EU zone.

Always follow the rule - In then Out with the same passport, not the other way around.

ie, if you enter any country on one of your passports, then you depart on the same passport. It is logical when you think about it, as from immigration perspective you are clearing your incoming entry as you depart, regardless of whether it is physically stamped into your passport or not. (eg, Thailand stamps you in and out, but the EU doesn't on an EU passport)

Swap in the air if you are planning to change passports when arriving into the next country.

Immigration is not concerned with your exit stamps from your previous country when arriving by air, and as several posters have said, many countries do not provide a stamp anyway.

They are concerned whether your passport allows you entry into their country, and if an appropriate visa is required in the passport you are using.

For airlines - be prepared to show both.

I am a dual citizen, and hold 3 passports. In Thailand, I have never had an issue showing a different passport at check in to the one I entered Thailand on (I do this often)

My wife is Thai with UK Citizenship.

Books tickets and exits UK on UK passport. Enters Thailand on Thai passport with stamped previous Thai exit card.

On exit shows both passports at check-in to prove she doesn't require UK entry visa, and to get a Thai exit card. This has to be stamped by Thai immigration and kept with her Thai passport for later re-entry as she exits on the Thai passport.

Enters UK on UK passport. The officer normally asks a general question as to where she has been.

Had no problems in 11 years.

Incidentally, I believe that Thailand law legally does not recognise dual nationality for a Thai citizen, although I understand the king has dual nationality with the UK. I also understand that people in high places have many many other citizenships.

Incidentally, I believe that Thailand law legally does not recognise dual nationality for a Thai citizen, although I understand the king has dual nationality with the UK. I also understand that people in high places have many many other citizenships.

Thailand does recognize dual nationality for its citizens in its laws.

The King was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts (USA), where I believe his father was studying at Harvard University at the time, but he is not a US citizen. Although by being born in the US the King is entitled to US citizenship I'm sure there are obvious reasons of state for the King not having US citizenship. Not to mention that it would be quite burdensome for the King to be a US citizen since the US Government takes the position that it is entitled to taxes due on the worldwide income of its citizens regardless of where they may reside (a policy shared only with Eritrea among all the countries of the world).

Edit: Eritrea at least gives taxes its nonresident citizen's foreign income at a reduced flat rate. wink.png

Edited by skatewash

Ref: Chulalongkorn Univercity, Author Ms Patarki Khoachan.

Extract: A Thai national who holds dual status through natualization will be considered as an alien, according to the law. They will lose Thai nationality if the government Gazzette has been published.

I can only take what the boffins say as cosha.

Extract: A Thai national who holds dual status through natualization will be considered as an alien, according to the law. They will lose Thai nationality if the government Gazzette has been published.

windas, can you please provide a link/source to the above?

Thanks

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hate to think what "cosha" means or is !

The fact is that many Thais enjoy dual nationality and experience no difficulties with "authority" !

What is a "Univercity" ?

Edited by nzexpat

Dear ARGUS

The Thesis is mainly about children and dual status. The extract is just in answer to SKATEWASH.

There does not appear to be a problem with multi nationality at Thai immigration and as I stated many Thais in the right places have multi nationalities. So I don't believe it will surface as a problem until the distant future.

The site is www.seachula.com/b68.html

Thesis title: "THAI NATIONALS WITH DUAL NATIONALITY STATUS"

Also try searching the UniverSity site, may be more on the subject, I don't have the time I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Dear ARGUS

The Thesis is mainly about children and dual status. The extract is just in answer to SKATEWASH.

There does not appear to be a problem with multi nationality at Thai immigration and as I stated many Thais in the right places have multi nationalities. So I don't believe it will surface as a problem until the distant future.

Also try searching the UniverSity site, may be more on the subject, I don't have the time I'm afraid.

Interesting abstract. After looking into it further, I would withdraw my previous statement: "Thailand does recognize dual nationality for its citizens in its laws" and replace it with something like:

While Thailand seems to frown on dual-citizenship de jure, it nevertheless seems to tolerate it de facto.

It's a complicated matter. For example, it appears it is permissible for children to hold dual-nationality at least until they are 18 at which time they are either required or permitted to renounce one of those nationalities. A think a fair reading of the law indicates that Thailand prefers its citizens to have only Thai citizenship and there is (or may be) a mechanism to deprive citizens of their dual-nationality (involving publishing of names in the Government Gazette), but such a mechanism doesn't appear to be in use (at least I'm unaware of its application). It also appears to matter how the dual-national acquired his or her dual-nationality (birth, marriage, naturalization, etc.). It appears to me to be a subject fraught with ambiguity.

So while Thai dual-nationals do not seem to have a solid positive basis in Thai law, neither do they appear to have much to realistically fear about being stripped of their Thai nationality.

There are a number of threads about this on TV.

Dear ARGUS

Interesting abstract. After looking into it further, I would withdraw my previous statement: "Thailand does recognize dual nationality for its citizens in its laws" and replace it with something like:

While Thailand seems to frown on dual-citizenship de jure, it nevertheless seems to tolerate it de facto.

It's a complicated matter. For example, it appears it is permissible for children to hold dual-nationality at least until they are 18 at which time they are either required or permitted to renounce one of those nationalities. A think a fair reading of the law indicates that Thailand prefers its citizens to have only Thai citizenship and there is (or may be) a mechanism to deprive citizens of their dual-nationality (involving publishing of names in the Government Gazette), but such a mechanism doesn't appear to be in use (at least I'm unaware of its application). It also appears to matter how the dual-national acquired his or her dual-nationality (birth, marriage, naturalization, etc.). It appears to me to be a subject fraught with ambiguity.

So while Thai dual-nationals do not seem to have a solid positive basis in Thai law, neither do they appear to have much to realistically fear about being stripped of their Thai nationality.

There are a number of threads about this on TV.

No mention in the law of 18 being an age where one is required to make a choice, nor is there anywhere in the law which shows a penalty for not doing so.

Having said that the only ambiguity is where one naturalises as a foreigner of their own free will, though as always the proof is in the pudding and to my understanding there has been no announcements in the royal gazette of a Thai naturalising as a foreigner and then losing thai citizenship as a result.

• Like 2