Best fiber optic internet deal currently offered in chiang mai?

wisemonkey

My current contract on the copper line is finishing up this month, looking to upgrade to fiber optic, anyone have good things to say about their current plans? or heard of good promotions/service from providers? Any info appreciated, cheers,

My son has TOT fibre optic at his home - he has the cheapest package but still very fast and reliable and he's very pleased with it. It's only available in some areas in Chiang Mai - just like the 3BB fibre optic - so you really have to call in to one of their shops in the city and ask whether it's available in your location.

True has a good fibre network which offers internet, True vision TV & phone line in bundle package. I live in Saraphi & have been waiting for about 3 years for it to reach here. My wife has it in her shop at Nong Peung and it works well. Depending on where you live it might be a good option for you.

True has a good fibre network which offers internet, True vision TV & phone line in bundle package. I live in Saraphi & have been waiting for about 3 years for it to reach here. My wife has it in her shop at Nong Peung and it works well. Depending on where you live it might be a good option for you.

Thanks this is good info to have because I will probably be moving mid contract so need to ensure that it will be available in both my current location and future one.

I live at Floral Condo pretty much in the heart of CM and all I can get is copper, DSL, 3mb down on a good day. We asked True and 3bb about better service, and they both gave the thai answer: too expensive to run fiber. TIT

I live at Floral Condo pretty much in the heart of CM and all I can get is copper, DSL, 3mb down on a good day. We asked True and 3bb about better service, and they both gave the thai answer: too expensive to run fiber. TIT

Thats crazy because I live in a mooban out here in san sai, out the window can see rice paddies and cows, and a lot of houses here have fiber optic, pretty amazing out in the sticks of san sai we can get it but not in the heart of the city?!

Thats crazy because I live in a mooban out here in san sai, out the window can see rice paddies and cows, and a lot of houses here have fiber optic, pretty amazing out in the sticks of san sai we can get it but not in the heart of the city?!

My office is at Mae Hia and my house in rural Nong Khwai - in both cases 3BB ran new fibre optic cable to each house. I don't think anyone else has it in Nong Khwai, and I was pleasantly surprised that they would do this.

From the various comments above, it appears to me that the companies have carved up the city among themselves with few overlaps so as to avoid direct competition. Or am I just being conspiratorial again? If so, I'll get my meds.

T

You can only get fiber optic in certain moo bans. Talk to your neighbors.

No - neither my home nor my office are located in moobans - both are in Thai villages, but 3BB linked me up.

People who report good speed should test international servers. For example if you take the cheapest Sinet option this is what you get: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666505-sinet-fiber-optic-any-reviews/?p=9204403 — but as was explained in the following post (removed by the moderator), people who subscribe to the higher tier get routed through another international partner/pipeline where speeds are much better (as indicated by the other main contributor to the thread).

I am not yet back in CM, but the Sinet support guy said that I could test their speed for my building before committing, so I have no hesitance in choosing Sinet again when I get back to CM.

And even the cheapest Sinet option still have decent international speeds.

I have Sinet and I get my maximum speed (20 Mbps) when downloading from newsgroups, can watch Netflix in HD and friends of mine who live abroad are able to watch streaming content from my Plex movie server. So upload speed must be pretty decent as well. I applied at Airport plaza and they pulled a cable from their nearest hub and hooked me up in 24 hours.

Edited by stuurman

I'm still waiting for my fibre here in the sandpit. The problem is the civil works and the associated permits. There isn't that much digging I believe, but they are still wary of people hitting cables and pipes.

Maybe that's an obstacle there?

I get 10 Mbps down with 3bb's 590 plan. True told me they were at quota in my building and couldn't provide service. Sinet told me I couldn't get their budget service, but could get FO all the way to my router for 890 or 899+ per month.

Imagine my shock upon learning this after moving here. 3mb.

My True Fiber Optic is definitely a copper cable in my room and condo.

I asked on the Internet section of TV and was informed

'It's optic up to some where then copper cable from wherever.'

TV Internet Forum informs that only CAT and TOT 'Buy' bandwidth from 'Government' all other providers 'Rent' from them.

3BB my phone line connection, refused to install in my Condo.

TOT would install but only on floors 1 & 2, I am on 8, so no go.

True very friendly young sales lady but No disrespect, a sales person with minimal Technical knowledge.

My True connection 15/2 is noticeably faster then my 3BB phoneline.

I would advise anyone considering purchase of a Fibre Optic to spend several hours reading up on TV Internet section and all other info on the net.

One problem that will not go away is the choke point at Singapore where the Optic cable leaves our part of the world to the real world.

The band with is now too small, probably OK when negotiated X years ago so a built in limit on Speed.

Several posters on TV Internet, suggest 'Internet Speed Checks ' are not honest.

john

A User who, Knows Little, but has tried to learn.

I have the 2nd cheapest Sinet fiber, get disconnected frequently (for long periods of time), 300 MS, few hunderd KB/s download speed.

I have Sinet since March, works good, but had one outage for some 45 minutes, I'm on the 15/5 package for 640/month.

Download speed is mostly above the 15 MB/S

In order of preference seems to be

SiNet

3BB

CAT - True

TOT

True uses cable modem tech rather than true fiber.. And I have heard both average and very negative reviews..

I have 3BB here, 30 Mbit which measures up at 35/3 for some reason.. Happy with it, streams HD from outside Thailand etc.