Somyot seeks extra pay for police for 10 months of martial law

webfact

Somyot seeks extra pay for police for 10 months of martial law
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- POLICE COMMISSIONER General Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang will seek government approval for police to be remunerated for service when martial law was imposed in parts of the country from last May to March this year.

He said he would submit the request this week to Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who oversees the Royal Thai Police.

Somyot said police received this privilege when martial law was imposed in 2006. A spokesman said police officials had asked the Cabinet about the policy on privileges for service during martial law.

The Cabinet secretary-general responded that during the period after the takeover the Cabinet did not approve privileges for any government official.

Somyot said he was informed that the military had sought approval for privileges for soldiers.

He said police and soldiers worked together for the country during martial law and deserved to be remunerated for their efforts.

Meanwhile, Somyot said he had ordered an investigation after a retired former senior officer called for police who use state property illegally to be punished.

Somyot said he had no ulterior motive for launching the investigation but had to respond to the complaint.

'No Cabinet reshuffle planned'

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha does not plan to reshuffle his Cabinet, government spokesperson Dr Yongyuth Mayalarp said yesterday.

Yongyuth said the PM wanted each minister to do their jobs as best they can.

Responding to criticism of ministers linked to the economy over their failure to meet expectations, Yongyuth said they had worked to the best of their ability. He said ministers strictly managed the economy based on statistics and history. "These figures are concrete and tangible proof of their performance."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Somyot-seeks-extra-pay-for-police-for-10-months-of-30259786.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-11

Somyots next request will be for compensation for loss of income from his officers bribery and extortion incomes. How can he ask for extra money for the police to do the job they are already paid for? If the police had done their job properly without bias or prejudice and without accepting money to allow people their freedom then perhaps martial law would never have been imposed to begin with

All those who feel the cops deserve a raise, raise their handscoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

And to all those who believe a raise would stop corruption, extortion, and bribery in this country, I have news for you, it wouldn't. Even if you raised the pay from 20,000 to 60,000 a month, most officers have to pay that much to the boss every month just to work at their prefered station. Until there is a stop to "transfer to inactive posts", public trials, incredibly strong jail sentences, and asset seizures, the criminals in bown will continue their side work.......no matter their pay.

In all fairness the policemen have suffered a drop in income and an increase in workload, this would be phrased as an efficiency dividend in other places.

Classic irony and sarcasm - love it!! thumbsup.gif

O/T payments yes, subsistence allowance when seconded elsewhere yes but what's the difference between a roadblock on helmet days / routine checks and under martial law ?

Hard to argue it's more dangerous as there's enough drunk drivers, speeding vehicles, illegal firearm etc. around on a normal day.

We are used to the BIB have to be instructed, urged and so on to do their job at the best of times and now extra payment and this goes for the army too.

It will be interesting to see if the PM risks increasing the turf war by giving one set of chancers more than the other.

In all fairness the policemen have suffered a drop in income and an increase in workload, this would be phrased as an efficiency dividend in other places.

Actually doing their job is bound to be an increase in their work load? I mean, sitting down chatting all day with a cup of tea/coffee (kindly paid for by the public) in front of them was hardly working hard, was it.

By all means, give them more money now that they are doing their jobs, but extra pay for working for a change, NO WAY!!

Edited by lucky11

I do believe to combat police corruption salary must be at least 3-5 times more. But it also means police has to stop extorting and start doing their jobs.

Just a pay rise for the sake of it hardly achieves anything

I do believe to combat police corruption salary must be at least 3-5 times more. But it also means police has to stop extorting and start doing their jobs.

You raise an interesting point which isn't new so a potential question is at what point is someone earning enough that they are not tempted to be corrupt ?

I've heard it said of some politicians, powerful people etc. that they're so rich they don't need to be corrupt but it doesn't stop them.

The obsession with money here is so great, in my opinion, that the majority will never be satisfied and it wouldn't temper the habits of a nation.

Better salaries and conditions of service are a start but must be the velvet glove with the iron fist ready for those that step out of line as opposed to the slap on the wrist mentality that exists and that needs a sea change in the national attitudes and mindset. No time soon if ever..

Keep on dreaming!!

No matter how much you raise their salaries, it will not eradicate the greed in their DNA.

Pongpat and the present Chief of Police Mr Somyot are very good examples of that!!

"Somyot said he was informed that the military had sought approval for privileges for soldiers."

So essentially the military sought combat pay for leading an overthrow of an elected government that will be paid by the people whose government was overthrown.

It would seem the military's occupation and pacification of the Malay-Thais in the South is no different than its occupation and pacification in the North. Both are considered by the Thai mmilitary as COMBAT ZONES.

Edited by Srikcir

so they want more money for being made to do what they are already paid for but have never actually done. This has to be a joke, most people have to do their work to be paid, seems the police prefer not to do the work and have to be paid extra to actually do anything.

Neither the military nor police should get 'hazard' pay for this -- for one, it stopped the rioters of all colors, so there is less danger and stress, and two, anyone in a uniform in ASEAN shakes your hand while using the other hand to pick your pocket.

You can get a Vat claim at the airport, whart about a Police bribe refund as well ??

Do you have a bill? Than try it!!!

But not forget also that if you use a helmet, drive to the rules, don't drive drunken and not phone when driving you pay NOTHING!!!

I worked with someone once who thought that if we paid all our suppliers more they would always deliver on time and without any quality issues.

It never occurred to him that actually getting the right suppliers with the right abilities to start with might be a better start than throwing money at the problem and hoping.

There are some good officers here, but many aren't and aren't ever likely to be capable of doing what's required.

Take more than increasing wages to sort this shit heap out. Corruption usually goes hand in hand with greed.

You can get a Vat claim at the airport, whart about a Police bribe refund as well ??

But not forget also that if you use a helmet, drive to the rules, don't drive drunken and not phone when driving you pay NOTHING!!!

You have to be kidding.

I was pulled over at a check point for having a box in the back of my pickup truck. I blurted out "what in the hell do you think a pickup is for" before It dawned on me they just wanted a couple of hundred baht. An old thai guy was laughing the whole time and after the cop walked away he told me for thai people it is only 100 baht.

You have to be kidding.

I was pulled over at a check point for having a box in the back of my pickup truck. I blurted out "what in the hell do you think a pickup is for" before It dawned on me they just wanted a couple of hundred baht. An old thai guy was laughing the whole time and after the cop walked away he told me for thai people it is only 100 baht.

Your mistake! You should have covered the box up and then there would not be a box to see, so NO box!

In the town where I live the police have definitely been working harder since the military takeover. I have never seen them taking so many on-the-spot bribes fines from kids with no crash helmets and other potential enemies of the state.

I definitely sleep easier in my bed these days.