Hardware Failure?

h90

Recently my mainboard died and I got a new one in exchange.

I set up everything new, fresh installed, but I get seldom strange things.

Software shut down, basically that happens to every program, say 3 times a day

Seldom, maybe all 48 hours computer shut down

Seldom maybe all 24 hours a strange freeze.

I don't think it is a driver problem, I think it is hardware, but how to find......

As it is not often, even if I swap memory with my other computer it might run without problems for 2-3 days. And if it is the memory, is it really faulty?

Or it might be the CPU, or as well HD (I had before once HD with the controller board faulty).

Andy smart and easy solution?

My first solution was: give the computer to my staff and buy myself a new one :o:D:D

Has anyone a better idea?

to save me typing and you reading a whole load of "what ifs" and "maybes"

go download yourself a copy of sisoft sandra, have a read - install - and run the "burn-in computer"

its pretty intensive and will get to the bottom of the problems very quickly.

http://www.sisoftware.net/

another program worth a go is Prime95 - again its a number cruncher that utilizes your cpu to breaking point, it also tests memory

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Edited by rio666uk

Who installed the CPU and heatsink/fan? If it was installed improperly, eg. no heatsink compound or too much you could have a heat problem which will make things intermittent. You should have a program that came with the mainboard that allows you to monitor the temperature and see if it is out of spec.

Who installed the CPU and heatsink/fan? If it was installed improperly, eg. no heatsink compound or too much you could have a heat problem which will make things intermittent. You should have a program that came with the mainboard that allows you to monitor the temperature and see if it is out of spec.

the old gigabyte mainboard was broken and the gigabyte service center just gave me a another gigabyte board where I can fit the CPU and memory.

Nothing included!

CPU, the cleaned the surface where it is on the cpu a little bit (but not perfect).

I didn't think for that, because I have most problems in the evening (or it seems like that) and there I have 31 degree in the office while 36 during the day (but extra fan inside, HD have HD fan and it is open and a normal big fin is blowing inside) so I should have less problems in the evening.

Will try Sandra, if it is the CPU I try to improve cooling.

Some general rules of thumb.

Random resets usually indicate power supply problem ie not enough or mboard / case not grounded properly.

Hard Lockups when running are usually heat problems.

Random blue screens could be memory or other hardware failures.

Did you use a UPS? And is the Voltage Stabilizer in that UPS ok?

It is possible that the problems occours about unstable power. But you should keep in mind: the UPS works correct only with a proper power grounding.

To check the correct grounding is quiet easy. If you have a volt-meter, measure between Zero and Line shuld be 220~ V up, than measure between Line and Ground, should be same as between Line and Zero, after measure between Zero and Ground>

In case that your power is 220 V, between Line and Ground 205 V, you should measure between Zero and Ground 15 V. That means that your grounding isn't correct or you've a power leak somwhere, or the UPS/Stabilizer leaking!

All of them can cause problems which are difficult to locate sometimes.

One other thing is the temparature of the RAM or other chips. Try: open the case, place a Fan in front of the open side and run the computer. If still fails I really suggest a power problem.

Did you use a UPS? And is the Voltage Stabilizer in that UPS ok?

It is possible that the problems occours about unstable power. But you should keep in mind: the UPS works correct only with a proper power grounding.

To check the correct grounding is quiet easy. If you have a volt-meter, measure between Zero and Line shuld be 220~ V up, than measure between Line and Ground, should be same as between Line and Zero, after measure between Zero and Ground>

In case that your power is 220 V, between Line and Ground 205 V, you should measure between Zero and Ground 15 V. That means that your grounding isn't correct or you've a power leak somwhere, or the UPS/Stabilizer leaking!

All of them can cause problems which are difficult to locate sometimes.

One other thing is the temparature of the RAM or other chips. Try: open the case, place a Fan in front of the open side and run the computer. If still fails I really suggest a power problem.

No UPS, never had one and the other computer in the office don't have one and run stable, as well before my old mainboard died it run stable.

for temp. yes as I don't have an aircon I have the case open an a normal fan blowing inside.

restarts are seldom, mostly software hang.

Example MP3 player is seldom possible more than 1 hour (different player), but basically all software crashes from time to time.

Restarted computer and read the bios.....

All currencys tell OK (but no value).

System temp tells: 40 Degree

CPU temp: 67 Degree

My office temp is at the moment 31.9 Degree during the day it might to peak to 35.5 degree (everything Celcius).

The system 40 sound high for me.

CPU does not sound that high but if during removing and refit of the heat sink it may not stay flat on it and has a different temp on every side. Is that possible (where do I get that heat sink creme??).

Edited by h90

the old gigabyte mainboard was broken and the gigabyte service center just gave me a another gigabyte board where I can fit the CPU and memory.

Nothing included!

CPU, the cleaned the surface where it is on the cpu a little bit (but not perfect).

I didn't think for that, because I have most problems in the evening (or it seems like that) and there I have 31 degree in the office while 36 during the day (but extra fan inside, HD have HD fan and it is open and a normal big fin is blowing inside) so I should have less problems in the evening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"another gigabyte board where I can fit the CPU and memory.

Nothing included!

CPU, the cleaned the surface where it is on the cpu a little bit (but not perfect).""

Did you APPLY proper thermal grease between heat sink and CPU ????????

Nothing included!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"another gigabyte board where I can fit the CPU and memory.

Nothing included!

CPU, the cleaned the surface where it is on the cpu a little bit (but not perfect).""

aehh....

well.....

just a bit of the old hard remainings from before, which was still there (actually the shop did that).....

Do you think that might be the problem CPU at 67 degree is not that much.....

Edited by h90

67 deg C seems high for CPU. Do a google search for CPU temperature and find what the max is for your CPU. As has been stated before, you may need to get a good heat transfer contact on your CPU w/ a lube.

I had a similar prob w/ a PC. I eventually pitched it. It was probably the MoBo causing the prob.

67 deg C seems high for CPU. Do a google search for CPU temperature and find what the max is for your CPU. As has been stated before, you may need to get a good heat transfer contact on your CPU w/ a lube.

I had a similar prob w/ a PC. I eventually pitched it. It was probably the MoBo causing the prob.

That is definitely high and you can not reuse the old heat sink compound. Should be able to get some new compound at a computer shop with no problem (might have the shop do it). The old has to be cleaned off both the CPU and heatsink thoroughly with alcohol and a thin layer put on top of the CPU. Put a small drop, about the size of a large grain of rice, and spread it thin over the CPU top with the edge of a credit card. Remount the heatsink/fan on top.

It really looks like a bad thermal connection to your CPU.

Edited by tywais

That is definitely high and you can not reuse the old heat sink compound. Should be able to get some new compound at a computer shop with no problem (might have the shop do it). The old has to be cleaned off both the CPU and heatsink thoroughly with alcohol and a thin layer put on top of the CPU. Put a small drop, about the size of a large grain of rice, and spread it thin over the CPU top with the edge of a credit card. Remount the heatsink/fan on top.

It really looks like a bad thermal connection to your CPU.

Running Sandra burn in now.....

Results till now:

Standby voltage started at 4.75 Volt and is now after second circly down at: 3.52 whats that?

The 3.3 volt have a minimum of 3.15 volt

The 12 volt a minimum of 11.73

CPU 1.68

Aux: 2.67

does that undervoltages sound dangerous?

Board is at 39 degree

CPU after 2rd circle at 73 degree

Power/Aux temp: 44 degree

Office at the moment at 44 Degree

External fan blowing inside the computer.

after 3rd circle: 75 degree CPU, I canceled.....

Edited by h90

There is a chance when you put the cooling block back on the CPU after adding a cooling paste that the cooling block tilts when you push the cooling block holders back on their place.

If the cooling block rises on one side of the CPU it will generate airbubbles in the paste and cooling paste with airbubbles has much higher heat resistance.

Finger prints on the surface of chips can also generate hotspots.