Blend 285 substitute in North America

Methylated Spirits coffee1.gif

EDIT: Ok, maybe I was being a bit harsh. You can actually make your own. The recipe is:

40% Meths

40% Turps

10% Nail Polish Remover

10% Red Bull (for flavour).

Edited by Gsxrnz

EDIT: Ok, maybe I was being a bit harsh. You can actually make your own. The recipe is:

40% Meths

40% Turps

10% Nail Polish Remover

Why did I KNOW some helpful TV member would come up with a non-responsive flame like this? Christ!

Just because Blend is cheap doesn't mean it's bad; it's a plus. To people that like it, it's good. Personally, I'll take Blend over Johnnie Walker any day. But then I drink what I like rather than to impress other people.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question. But I hate to see responses like the one above when a guy is just looking for help.

40% Meths

40% Turps

10% Nail Polish Remover

Why did I KNOW some helpful TV member would come up with a non-responsive flame like this? Christ!

Just because Blend is cheap doesn't mean it's bad; it's a plus. To people that like it, it's good. Personally, I'll take Blend over Johnnie Walker any day. But then I drink what I like rather than to impress other people.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question. But I hate to see responses like the one above when a guy is just looking for help.

Acutally, then answer is NOT that far from the truth... from "maltmileage.com":

"Blend 285 is a concoction of blended spirits produced by the Red Bull Distillery in Thailand. It is described on the company’s website as an “admix spirit, made using a careful blend of local ingredients and imported vatted malt from Scotland.” These local ingredients can either be water, alcohol or whisky so what we have in Blend 285 is a fusion of liquid from Thailand and Scotland.

Blend 285 has remained in my whisky cabinet for over a year, ever since it was placed there after I returned from a holiday in Phuket. While in Phuket I was keen to try a whisky enjoyed by the locals and I purchased this bottle of Blend 285 in a reputable chain of convenience stores for about 200 baht (approx. $6) after a Thai local recommended it. There is not much written about Blend 285 and its contents is seems to be a closely guarded secret – an ideal reason to slip on my Singha t-shirt, order some local Thai food and get into the spirit while I unpack this mysterious blend.
The nose presents with hints of peat within a framework of juicy red apples, cherry jam, dried apricot and soft vanillas. The whiff of new make emerges after a while, relatively acceptable but with what smells like a fair bit of smelly higher alcohols and tails from a distilling run. On the palate the spirit takes on an gelatinous texture and then the flaws emerge – the acrid burn of alcohol seems very much neutral, like a cheap vodka, and that astringent bitterness lingers into the finish with the taste of chemicals and nail polish remover. The nose was definitely promising, but the whisky showed its flaws on the palate. At around $6, I would not buy this whisky. I’m not even sure it should be endured even for free, unfortunately."

40% Meths

40% Turps

10% Nail Polish Remover

It was a simple bit of fun - obviously you didn't get the joke. I would hardly call it a flame, but then I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

I actually do drink the stuff. I alternate between 285 and Sangsom, They're both a cheap and cheerful drink.

And let's face it, if you add a mixer such as coke or lemonade to any whiskey/rum, it equalises the taste such that you may as well drink a cheap one as an expensive one anyway.

However, I couldn't drink 285 neat - try it and you'll see that I'm correct about the flavour/aftertaste of nail polish remover (acetate).

Well I like 285 and want to find that flavor here.

So far I've tried..

Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Chivas Regal, Johnny Walker and I still miss the 285 taste.

Should I try 100 pipers next or what is the closest approximation that you can think off?

40% Meths

40% Turps

10% Nail Polish Remover

Acutally, then answer is NOT that far from the truth... from "maltmileage.com":

"Blend 285 is a concoction of blended spirits produced by the Red Bull Distillery in Thailand. It is described on the company’s website as an “admix spirit, made using a careful blend of local ingredients and imported vatted malt from Scotland.” These local ingredients can either be water, alcohol or whisky so what we have in Blend 285 is a fusion of liquid from Thailand and Scotland.

Blend 285 has remained in my whisky cabinet for over a year, ever since it was placed there after I returned from a holiday in Phuket. While in Phuket I was keen to try a whisky enjoyed by the locals and I purchased this bottle of Blend 285 in a reputable chain of convenience stores for about 200 baht (approx. $6) after a Thai local recommended it. There is not much written about Blend 285 and its contents is seems to be a closely guarded secret – an ideal reason to slip on my Singha t-shirt, order some local Thai food and get into the spirit while I unpack this mysterious blend.
The nose presents with hints of peat within a framework of juicy red apples, cherry jam, dried apricot and soft vanillas. The whiff of new make emerges after a while, relatively acceptable but with what smells like a fair bit of smelly higher alcohols and tails from a distilling run. On the palate the spirit takes on an gelatinous texture and then the flaws emerge – the acrid burn of alcohol seems very much neutral, like a cheap vodka, and that astringent bitterness lingers into the finish with the taste of chemicals and nail polish remover. The nose was definitely promising, but the whisky showed its flaws on the palate. At around $6, I would not buy this whisky. I’m not even sure it should be endured even for free, unfortunately."

Great post 555

Just go to wherever the hobo part of town and ask the ones not drinking Nightrain or Ripple what they are drinking. Sure they can point you in the correct direction.

Since we are at it: A good number of Thai's seem to go for this "Lao Khao". Farangs often are told to "better stay away from it". Isn't it just distilled from rice? What would make it more harmful to Farangs than (for example) Blend 285?

Cheers.

What would make it more harmful to Farangs than (for example) Blend 285?

Methanol.

Great drink, but who turned off the lights?

Methanol? May be the case for some "Home-Brew", but not what can be bought at the 7/11 , with the "Tax-slip" over the top. Many strange things can happen in Thailand, but I don't think 7/11 or Tesco would want to poison their customers, with the blessing of the Thai Government.

To me, it tastes awful. The Thais probably drink it, because it's the cheapest thing around.

Cheers.

What would make it more harmful to Farangs than (for example) Blend 285?

Methanol.

Great drink, but who turned off the lights?

Methanol? May be the case for some "Home-Brew", but not what can be bought at the 7/11 , with the "Tax-slip" over the top. Many strange things can happen in Thailand, but I don't think 7/11 or Tesco would want to poison their customers, with the blessing of the Thai Government.

To me, it tastes awful. The Thais probably drink it, because it's the cheapest thing around.

Cheers.

I don't know why Lao Kwao is so potent but it's definitily toxic. I've had it enough times to treat it with respect. Funny thing is in the deep Isaan when you mix it with certain leaves and other concotions, it becomes a medicine.

So are there no suggestions for a substitute that tastes very close to 285 + coke in the US?

I want something that I combine with coke tasting the same.

You must be at a very advanced stage,,,Time to get help?

Well I like 285 and want to find that flavor here.

So far I've tried..

Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Chivas Regal, Johnny Walker and I still miss the 285 taste.

Should I try 100 pipers next or what is the closest approximation that you can think off?

I used to be a vodka drinker in the UK. Tried 285 when I couldn't get vodka at a local bar here and was pleasantly surprised.

285 is now my usual tipple in Thailand. I drink most spirits neat with ice. Imo 100 Pipers isn't close.

As for Lao kao, Jesus, that stuff is nasty. Smells nasty, tastes nasty and has got to be toxic.