Manual vs automatic

I find it hard to understand why someone would hire a driver.....why compound the dangers of the Thai roads by actually paying for someone who is almost certainly less competent than oneself?

If it were me, and the choice was getting onto Thai roads with zero experience or hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch which would allow me to take in the scenery while also tending to my young child, I know which I'd plump for.

"hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch"- really??? you have much greater confidence than I do in Thai training and assessing standards.

Whatever - I think I've made my point. Let the OP decide.
I've hired plenty of drivers in Thailand without any problems (including drivers that work for big hotels).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to understand why someone would hire a driver.....why compound the dangers of the Thai roads by actually paying for someone who is almost certainly less competent than oneself?

If it were me, and the choice was getting onto Thai roads with zero experience or hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch which would allow me to take in the scenery while also tending to my young child, I know which I'd plump for.

"hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch"- really??? you have much greater confidence than I do in Thai training and assessing standards.

Whatever - I think I've made my point. Let the OP decide.
I've hired plenty of drivers in Thailand without any problems (including drivers that work for big hotels).

Statistically that would be the most probable result, but it doesn't mean they would be competent drivers. A short chat about the icons etc dotted about the dashboard could soon put that idea to rest.

Statistically that would be the most probable result, but it doesn't mean they would be competent drivers. A short chat about the icons etc dotted about the dashboard could soon put that idea to rest.

OP - cumgranosalum has made a good point. If you do hire a car, don't forget to pick up a Buddha amulet in a market and glue it to the dashboard. For extra protection get a monk to paint some dots and wavy lines in the roof lining of the car and all will be well.

I believe the OP mentioned he has experience driving in LOS and besides I'd still trust my own driving over ANY Thai or any other driver for that matter regardless.

I just rented a car last week for a week. Being from America, where 95% of the cars are automatic, and shifting is only for the poor, I was happy to find a car to rent that had an automatic transmission. I drove 1500 kilometers, and the car was fine, except it would take 15 seconds to go from 0 - 80 kpm. After that, very good. .I had no problems.

coffee1.gifrolleyes.gifcheesy.gif yes for the poor, Also include the Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi Evo and a countless number of other decently priced performance cars.

http://www.carpages.ca/blog/2014/11/11/2015-volkswagen-gti-6-speed-manual-and-dsg-review/ More nonsense, it is far easier to find a manual here then it is there, at least in real performance models not base models.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Simple answer order which ever car you want, all depends on where you will be driving if in a busy city automatics are great less leg work.

Hitting the open roads with very little traffic then maybe consider a manual.

Personally for me we normally just rent a nice medium sized saloon (Toyota Camry or the same) no worries about the safety features most new cars have airbags etc...............

Due to the intensed trafific here and many times jamed up bumper to bumber you are much better of in an automatic here in Thailand and get a bigcar for you and your familis safety , I been here for a year

Now and I wonder whay I have bin driving a stick shift for so many years. Be careful on the roads when you get here...

I believe the OP mentioned he has experience driving in LOS and besides I'd still trust my own driving over ANY Thai or any other driver for that matter regardless.

With a profile name of girluk77, my assumption was that the OP is female (not that it's particularly germane to the topic in hand). The OP also said:

"I'm already a bit nervous about driving on thai roads and am wondering whether the transition to an automatic would be easy enough or should I try and find a manual car? I've previously lived in Thailand so do know what the roads are like, never drove before though"

You make a fair point however - any road journey in Thailand is not without a certain level of risk. At least if you're driving, you can adjust to conditions accordingly. One problem I suffer from though is carrying a whole set of unconscious/automatic assumptions acquired from driving experience in farangland, they just don't apply here and can get you into trouble. My guess is that phenomenon is even worse if you're new to driving in Thailand. However YMMV as they say.

^Fortunately for me adjustments are just natural and easy, I found my driving there from the states originally, to be far more liberating, as I suspected since returning back I'm far more uptight and stressed driving back here again. Additionally it's far from JUST Thailand, knuckleheads and texters the world over.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hire an auto for a day in your own country ... after a short while you will 'hopefully' wonder why you drive a manual!

I bought a manual Nissan Almera here in Pattaya 3 months ago and I,m more than happy with it- drove back yesterday from Trang 945 kms averageing 85 kms/hour and my fuel consumption was 20.8 kms/litre (58+mpg) two persons plus luggage and I,m normally first away at the lights and passing slow moving waggons uphill is a doddle as I can just change down through the gears-manual every time for me auto,s are for women drivers clap2.gif

I was a bit hesitant to buy an automatic here after driving a manual all my life but I thought of safety and resale value. Once I got in an automatic car there really is nothing to it. If you don't want to move just have your foot on the break. If you're not moving for quite a while shift it in to neutral and put the handbrake on as you would with a manual anyway. If drag racing is what you want then go manual, but since you have the family it makes sense to just use the auto which still has plenty of power just less of a driving experience.

My pick-up is manual and my wife's car is automatic, I will switch from one to the other with no bother. I was once told by an elder in my younger days....never drive an automatic if your own car is manual...."Why" I asked..."because it will make you lazy" he said....once you have driven the automatic, you will never want to go back to the manual,555. He wasn't far wrong....driving an automatic is very easy and suitable to city driving in Thailand where there is a lot of stopping and moving due to the high density of traffic. You could rent one out for a day or two just to get the feel of it and see what you think.

Good luck either way and I wish safe and happy driving for yourself and your toddler. GB.

Think the OP is a fellow Brit.

Tips:

Someone flashes their lights at you here doesn't mean they're allowing you to manoeuvre, it means beware.

Be very aware of motorbikes; better to indicate before changing direction.

I drove a car in the uk last year (Lakes) for the first time in 25 years and was as nervous as hell (I was particularly worried about speed limits). Each country has its driving peculiarities, took me a while to get used to the 'rigid' uk driving conditions after years of 'wild west' Thailand driving. You'll be alright. Book the car, take it easy, be careful and enjoy your trip.

Yes I'm from the UK and female (funny how some people assume you must be male if you're posting on Thaivisa). I've been all over Thailand by car but it was my ex who drove then so I'm well aware of the conditions. I had considered hiring someone but tbh I feel happier and safer driving myself, I have experienced some horrific thai drivers, taxis, buses etc. The past few years I've been over I've always opted for public transport but this time I'll have a car seat and there's no way I'm taking my wee one in a car in Thailand without it

Sent from my C5303 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not the automatic vs manual issue you should be worried about, it is the

loony drivers running red lights long after they have changed, and passing

around blind corners and hills. Automatic vs manual, I drive both and switch

back and forth all the time. If you can walk and chew gum at the same time

you can go from driving a manual to an automatic. Just pay attention to

the other drivers, and that includes the many ex-pats who have adopted

Thai driving habits. whistling.gif

Yes I'm from the UK and female (funny how some people assume you must be male if you're posting on Thaivisa). I've been all over Thailand by car but it was my ex who drove then so I'm well aware of the conditions. I had considered hiring someone but tbh I feel happier and safer driving myself, I have experienced some horrific thai drivers, taxis, buses etc. The past few years I've been over I've always opted for public transport but this time I'll have a car seat and there's no way I'm taking my wee one in a car in Thailand without it

Maybe, using a motorcycle would be an alternative. Air needs not to be bagged and the wee one would be close to your heart most of the time.

post-153532-14315170336203_thumb.jpg

I used to own only manual cars in my home country , but after a visit to the US where almost all cars are automatic , I fell in love with it and never looked back. Here in Thailand you need to focus on the bad traffic so no time to think about gear shifts. Driving automatic is as easy as it gets, you will be comfortable with it in no time.

if you need to think about manual shifting, you simply haven't learned how to do it yet.

Fair enough - it sounds like you're well aware of the local driving scene.

Here's wishing you a very pleasant and safe trip - happy trails!

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

Hire an auto for a day in your own country ... after a short while you will 'hopefully' wonder why you drive a manual!

I bought a manual Nissan Almera here in Pattaya 3 months ago and I,m more than happy with it- drove back yesterday from Trang 945 kms averageing 85 kms/hour and my fuel consumption was 20.8 kms/litre (58+mpg) two persons plus luggage and I,m normally first away at the lights and passing slow moving waggons uphill is a doddle as I can just change down through the gears-manual every time for me auto,s are for women drivers clap2.gif

Talking entirely too much sense Peter.. Some people will never get it, the only thing beneficial to having an auto is the fact that you can do other distracting and dangerous things with the other hand like texting or holding a phone or....................... I can also take my foot completely off the brake at long lights and just rest until I need to move.

My pick-up is manual and my wife's car is automatic, I will switch from one to the other with no bother. I was once told by an elder in my younger days....never drive an automatic if your own car is manual...."Why" I asked..."because it will make you lazy" he said....once you have driven the automatic, you will never want to go back to the manual,555. He wasn't far wrong....driving an automatic is very easy and suitable to city driving in Thailand where there is a lot of stopping and moving due to the high density of traffic. You could rent one out for a day or two just to get the feel of it and see what you think.

Good luck either way and I wish safe and happy driving for yourself and your toddler. GB.

No he wasn't wrong at all, people constantly deny that there is any exercise value to driving a manual but yet what is their primary reasoning behind not having one? Not having to clutch and shift, there is far more benefit that comes from doing those several hundred times in a given trip and with both feet and hands all working together then there is with an automatic by their own logic where you mostly just use one foot. In fact I just got an idea, I'm going to see about an app or one of those meters that measures the amount of exercise one expends use it to measure while driving and have a real world comparison, but at the age of most of the members posting here and their fitness levels it's certain a little exercise would be far more beneficial to them.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The less you need to do whilst driving here the better/safer you will be.

Automatic wins hands down every time.

Except then she'll be putting on make up, or playing with the phone, or tending to the fussy children, all dangerous distractions that have naught to do with being a safe driver in fact are worse. It's not unreasonable either to initially assume the OP might be a female since this sub-forum is predominantly male. Since the OP is female I've considered undeniable driving distractions in that light that regardless of how factual will probably be regarded as sexist in some way. Just to be clear the only change I had to make though was to substitute "rubbing the missus leg" with "putting on make up" but heck being Thailand even that may apply, who knows? Not for me to judge. whistling.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

I used to own only manual cars in my home country , but after a visit to the US where almost all cars are automatic , I fell in love with it and never looked back. Here in Thailand you need to focus on the bad traffic so no time to think about gear shifts. Driving automatic is as easy as it gets, you will be comfortable with it in no time.

if you need to think about manual shifting, you simply haven't learned how to do it yet.

Ut oh! Another sensible response! thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

Maybe, using a motorcycle would be an alternative. Air needs not to be bagged and the wee one would be close to your heart most of the time.

Yah, they come in automatics too.. coffee1.gif

It is not the automatic vs manual issue you should be worried about, it is the

loony drivers running red lights long after they have changed, and passing

around blind corners and hills. Automatic vs manual, I drive both and switch

back and forth all the time. If you can walk and chew gum at the same time

you can go from driving a manual to an automatic. Just pay attention to

the other drivers, and that includes the many ex-pats who have adopted

Thai driving habits. whistling.gif

If you don't adopt similar habits to some level you'll get run over and then you're an even bigger part of the problem and in more danger, it's a defensive tactic just like you can't do ANY business the same way either, you have to be on constant alert for the scam or the con, when in Rome..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The question of automatic versus manual always seems to bring the machos out of the woodwork. In Thailand you need to take your time, not be obsessed by the 'I must overtake this truck' mentality, take it easy. I had a Nissan Navaro manual, now have a Nissan Almera automatic. I get there. I'm not talking about a few thousand a year, I easily do 30 000 Km a year, including a few 10 hour trips. I prefer the Almera, there are few stretches in Thailand where I can safely do 160/170Km/h which I did with the Navaro.

I also have an old manual truck which I use for hauling stuff, no difficulty in changing from one to the other, but I wonder how I drove that bloody thing for two years every day. Driving here for four years and apart from the first week or two of white knuckle driving find it no more stressful than driving in Switzerland where everything is regulated and controlled.

I drove manual trucks for 40 years and bless the day I bought an automatic four door family car.

The key to driving here is not zipping around traffic and saving 5% on your journey time (and increasing the danger of accident by 200%) but intensely observing other road users and anticipating the worst. All the time.

As you might be driving up country you could also consider hiring a pick up ....like a Vigo ir something. They come with manual gear , run on diesel so cheaper fuel , are built stronger than saloons so that in a crash you get more protection , are higher of the ground so a better view and come with a lot of mod cons

Pick ups are not made stronger, the actual passenger compartment is much weaker than a monocoque car.

The OP from the UK has likely never driven rear wheel drive before and something as poorly weight balanced as a pick up so if nervous about manual/automatic it is just another thing to worry about. Along with maybe never having driven anything this big before.