Inquest reveals details of Brits killed in Samui horror crash

webfact

Pair of best friends die after car ploughs into them in horrific Thailand holiday crash
By Katie Storey

sam.jpg
Derek Gent and Mike Holmes were on holiday with their wives Christine and Janet when the crash took place

MANCHESTER: -- Derek Gent, of Croft Head Drive, Milnrow, and Mike Holmes, of Yeomans Close, Milnrow, both 68, who were killed when they were hit by a truck in Koh Samui, Thailand on March 23, 2013.

A pair of best friends were killed on a holiday in Thailand when a speeding car careered out of control and ploughed into them, an inquest heard.

Derek Rodney Gent and Mike Holmes, both 68, who had been pals for more than 30 years, were on a dream trip to the Far East with their wives, Christine and Janet, on the island of Koh Samui when the crash took place.

An inquest at the Phoenix Centre in Heywood heard that the driver of a grey Toyota was attempting to overtake another car on a single lane road at ‘high speed’ when he hit the vehicle and spun out of control.

The Toyota hit both men, who were walking on the pavement alongside the Koh Samui ring road, before smashing into a restaurant on March 23, 2013.

Authorities in Thailand said Mr Gent and Mr Holmes were killed instantly.

Their devastated wives were at their hotel when the tragedy happened.

Speaking at the inquest Mrs Holmes said: “It’s difficult because we only spoke to the staff at the hotel, they were the only ones passing on information.”

The 33-year-old driver was later charged with negligence and given a two-year suspended jail sentence with one year’s probation.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 Baht, approximately £950. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/pair-best-friends-die-after-9235850

-- Manchester Evening News 2015-05-12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly they had just bought some food, I think pizza and were walking back from the hotel . Their mistake was to walk on the left side of the road where they had no chance to avoid a speeding car hitting them from behind. If you must walk on a busy road in Thailand, always walk against the traffic , at least it gives you a chance to escape the situation.

RIP, Derek and Mike.

I'm disgusted with the sentence their killer got.

We may not like the different attitudes in Thailand, but this is the standard sentence where there are no drugs/alcohol involved.

I can absolutely guarantee that if it was a farang that killed 2 Thais in a similar accident, then the sentence and fine would be significantly larger.

The 33-year-old driver was later charged with negligence and given a two-year suspended jail sentence with one year’s probation.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 Baht, approximately £950

That right there tells you all you need to know about Thailand. In most civilized countries, this jerk would be facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and a very long jail stretch.

I love this country, but at times it really is disgustingly sickening.

As again an absolutely farcical outcome. 2 lives worth 1000 pounds and the idiot driver not even jailed. Yet the B2 are incarcerated in the squalid samui jail before they've even been tried for anything.

How do these people sleep at night i wonder. Reprehensible at best

If I remember correctly they had just bought some food, I think pizza and were walking back from the hotel . Their mistake was to walk on the left side of the road where they had no chance to avoid a speeding car hitting them from behind. If you must walk on a busy road in Thailand, always walk against the traffic , at least it gives you a chance to escape the situation.

I think the bigger mistake was made by the insane driver overtaking cars when pedestrians are at risk

anyways.. if you ever wondered why people drive without fear of reprisal..this is it.

Do whatever you want.....even run over a few people......you need only 50,000 baht to walk.

How much would it be if a farang did it?

Furthermore, best you kill the pedestrians....because if they are still breathing, you will be paying more...for hospitals..and other damages.

RIP, Derek and Mike.

We may not like the different attitudes in Thailand, but this is the standard sentence where there are no drugs/alcohol involved.

A disgusting sentence nevertheless and it beggars belief the sentence for such a crime hasn't been increased in these times.

Ofcourse these tragedies will continue to happen until there is visible policing of the roads but..........

RIP, Derek and Mike.

I can absolutely guarantee that if it was a farang that killed 2 Thais in a similar accident, then the sentence and fine would be significantly larger.

You can guarantee nothing , I know a guy who had a deadly accident with a Thai and got off with a fine and he had to give some money to the family of the victim....I forgot how much but it was a few tens of thousands....

That right there tells you all you need to know about Thailand. In most civilized countries, this jerk would be facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and a very long jail stretch.

In most civilised country's ...? are you sure ????

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/scourge-afluenza/

The internet is full of symilar storys from every country....

Comparing a juvenile on home turf in the US does little to answer the question re what would have happened if the roles & nationalities in the original story were reversed.

Comparing a juvenile on home turf in the US does little to answer the question re what would have happened if the roles & nationalities in the original story were reversed.

it also doesnt address the "frequency" this occurs IN Thailand

Understood, however blame in this instance lies exclusively with the idiot at the wheel.

My Mother, God Rest her Soul, taught me that 74 years ago and is the standard procedure in the USA, where I was raised.

So in Thailand Involuntary Manslaughter gets you a 2 years suspended sentence and 50,000.00 BAHT fine ??

The problem is when I studied Law, back in the USA 1974, if you operated a vehicle in a reckless and dangerous way and killed someone it was Criminal Negligence resulting in death, Voluntary Manslaughter !! 10 years to life depending on circumstances. Is Thailand a Great place to live or what ??

Whose son was this driver ?? Where is the Red Bull Twerp that killed the Policeman ??

RIP, Derek and Mike.

I am sure too,

this is max sentence if a Thai kill some farong ( maybee not more than 100 at once )

But if a farang would hit a finger of a Thai pedestrian,

sure he woulkd get great troubles !!

This is our LOS,

why we are still here is my only question ??

RIP in peace, what a cruel and horrible way to go! The anguish the wives must have suffered, a dream holiday turned into a living hell. One can only imagine how many lives were affected, their wives, children, grand children, possibly even great grandchildren given their ages, and lastly all their friends, all who must have suffered with the loss these men. The sentence and fine is a blatant disregard for human life and an insult to all of humanity sad.png Reading this post has given me, an overwhelming feeling of sadness.

RIP, Derek and Mike.

You cannot guarantee any such thing.

I have personal knowledge of a similar case. The farang had a two year suspended sentence. The fine was of course larger.

You should not jump to conclusions.

Juvenile orn home turf is irrelevant,....Just1voice was speaking about civilised countries....ant this was my reply.

No justice system is perfect even in so called civilised countries....

RIP, Derek and Mike.

You cannot guarantee any such thing.

I have personal knowledge of a similar case. The farang had a two year suspended sentence. The fine was of course larger.

You should not jump to conclusions.

He's not jumping to conclusions IMHO. It's a well known FACT that there are different, much higher prices to be paid by farangs compared to Thais for many 'services' all over Thailand. Can you give a justifiable reason why a farang should be fined more than a Thai for what you call a 'similar' case?.

The sentence is absolutely disgusting. This man will go out and kill someone again, I guarantee it. Thailand does not care about lives, that is patently obvious.

I can't tell you how many cars I've seen try to overtake other cars on blinds corners, going up a hill and all kinds of other situations where nobody has any business at all passing. I once watched a bus passing other cars ahead of me going up a hill. He couldn't see what was coming, but he didn't care, he was going to get in front of the car he was passing even if it killed everyone on his bus and the person or persons he hit. He was lucky.

So in Thailand Involuntary Manslaughter gets you a 2 years suspended sentence and 50,000.00 BAHT fine ??

The problem is when I studied Law, back in the USA 1974, if you operated a vehicle in a reckless and dangerous way and killed someone it was Criminal Negligence resulting in death, Voluntary Manslaughter !! 10 years to life depending on circumstances. Is Thailand a Great place to live or what ??

Whose son was this driver ?? Where is the Red Bull Twerp that killed the Policeman ??

So is the US a great place to live and kill without punnishment....things have changed sins your law studies....

http://blogs.redorbit.com/ethan-couch-16-clear-because-of-afluenza/

Archived