Looking to sublet my apartment...Help needed

Hey, wondering if someone could advise me, I took on a 1 bedroomed apartment in a condo in Bangkok but 4 months in and I'm relocating elsewhere. My letting agents seem pretty nice, but what are the laws on subletting? I want to sublet ideally by the end of the month, just get my 2 months deposit back, pack up, and pass on the keys. Is this an option to sublet through the agent? Or do I sublet it privately? Not sure the best way to go about it. Just want to get the deposit back and have someone decent to take over...advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure if you have it in your lease, but in the future always have a 'diplomatic' clause written in, so that if you are relocated by your company, then you can leave and get your deposit back, if you get written proof from the company that they are relocating you.

In this case i would just be open and honest with the agent and the landlord if you have contact with them. They have no obligation to return the deposit, so your only options seem to be try to find someone to move in and take over the lease and pay you the deposit and trust that the landlord is okay with that. If i was a tenant and wanted to move in to your unit, i would be more inclined to wait for you to leave and have a new agreement directly with the landlord.

Most leases have the "No Subletting" cause. If you have a decent landlord, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you find someone to take over your lease, given that he does not loose out on any rent in between.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, sub-letting would not allow you the return of deposit. A sub-letting means you sign a contract with your sub-tenant, while your main lease with the landlord still runs.

Finding a tenant on behalf of the landlord is what you hope to do, in order that the landlord terminates your lease agreement and return your deposit.