Magnitude 7.1 quake strikes in Nepal-USGS

webfact

Magnitude 7.1 quake strikes in Nepal-USGS

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - A strong earthquake shook Nepal on Tuesday, sending people in the capital Kathmandu rushing out on to the streets weeks after a devastating quake killed more than 8,000 people and destroyed hundreds of thousands of homes, eyewitnesses said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a magnitude of7.1 and struck 68 km west of the town of Namche Bazar, close to Mount Everest. Shock waves were felt as far away as the Indian capital New Delhi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Magnitude-7-1-quake-strikes-in-Nepal-USGS-30259889.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

7.4-magnitude quake hits devastated Nepal: USGS

KATHMANDU (AFP) - A 7.4-magnitude earthquake hit devastated Nepal on Tuesday with the epicentre close the border with China, the US Geological Survey said.

Residents of the capital Kathmandu ran out of their houses after the quake struck at 12:35 pm local time, more than two weeks after a 7.8-magnitude quake which killed more than 8,000 people.

The latest quake struck 83 kilometres (52 miles) east of Kathmandu at a depth of 18.5 kilometres, according to the USGS.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/7-4-magnitude-quake-hits-devastated-Nepal-USGS-30259893.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Many damaged buildings will be prone to go down on people again. Tough time there now.

Yeah if there wasnt enough shelters put up then no choice but to back inside a damage house

7.3-magnitude quake hits devastated Nepal: USGS

KATHMANDU (AFP) - A 7.3-magnitude earthquake hit devastated Nepal on Tuesday, sending terrified residents running into the streets in the capital Kathmandu, according to witnesses and the US Geological Survey.

The quake struck at 12:35pm local time in the Himalayan nation some 76 kilometres (47 miles) east of Kathmandu, more than two weeks after a 7.8-magnitude quake which killed more than 8,000 people.

The latest quake hit at a depth of 15.0 kilometres, according to the USGS. It had earlier measured the quake at 7.4.

The tremors in Kathmandu lasted close to a minute according to an AFP correspondent in the city, with the ground swaying. Sirens could be heard soon afterwards although there were no immediate reports of casualties.

The quake was also felt some 1,000 kilometres away in the Indian capital New Delhi where buildings shook and office workers evacuated.

Other cities in northern India were also rocked by the quake, including Bihar where television footage showed residents gathering on the streets.

Another 5.6-magnitude aftershock hit minutes later in Nepal, according to the USGS.

Whole villages were destroyed in the April 25 quake while large parts of Kathmandu were destroyed, leaving tens of thousands homeless.

Relief teams from around the world are still working to provide water, food and medical assistance to Nepalis following the quake.

While nearly all of those killed by the April 25 quake were in Nepal, around 100 victims also died in India and China.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/7-3-magnitude-quake-hits-devastated-Nepal-USGS-30259903.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

The subcontinent today known as India moved in millions of years more than 2000 km from Madagascar to it's current location and formed the Himalaya by immense pressure. To expect it stepped on the brakes just to spare people who build 6 or more story houses in Kathmandu is pretty brave. That's exactly the reason why locals in the area traditionally used to live in tents and light construction buildings for centuries...

If you ignore nature's rules on this planet, you probably have to deal with it.

However, I'm still sorry for all the victims,

Another major quake hits Nepal, epicenter near China border
BINAJ GURUBACHARYA, Associated Press
KATY DAIGLE, Associated Press

KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — A major earthquake hit Nepal in a remote region near the Chinese border on Tuesday, killing at least four people less than three weeks after the country was ravaged by another deadly quake.

The U.S. Geological Survey said Tuesday's quake hit in the early afternoon with a magnitude of 7.3 in an isolated, conservation area between the capital of Kathmandu and Mount Everest.

Several buildings collapsed in the isolated town of Chautara, with at least four people killed, according to Paul Dillon, a spokesman with the International Organization for Migration.

A rescue team from the agency has begun searching through the wreckage of the little town, he said.

Chautara has become a hub for humanitarian aid in the wake of a major April 25 quake that killed more than 8,150 people and injured more than 17,860 as it flattened mountain villages and destroyed buildings.

Tuesday's quake was deeper, however, coming from a depth of 18.5 kilometers (11.5 miles) versus the April 25th quake that hit 15 kilometers (9.3 miles). More shallow earthquakes tend to cause more damage at the surface.

It was followed closely by at least five aftershocks measuring from magnitude 5.6 to magnitude 6.3.

The international airport in Kathmandu, which has become a transport hub for international aid, was closed temporarily, while traffic snarled in the streets of Kathmandu.

"The shaking seemed to go on and on," said Rose Foley, a UNICEF official based in Kathmandu. "It felt like being on a boat in rough seas."

Aid agencies were still struggling Tuesday afternoon to get reports from outside of the capital.

"We're thinking about children across the country, and who are already suffering. This could make them even more vulnerable," Foley said.

In the capital of Kathmandu, the quake sent people rushing outside of their homes. Police gave no immediate estimates of damage.

Indian Embassy spokesman Abhay Kumar said some buildings in Kathmandu collapsed, but he gave no further details about how many or where they were. Experts say the April 25 quake caused extensive structural damage even in buildings that did not topple, and that many could be in danger of future collapse.

Rasmus Baastrup, a Dane from Doctors Without Borders, said in a live interview with Denmark's TV2 channel "I walked out quickly. I couldn't run because the earth was shaking so much that it was impossible to run." Baastrup, speaking from Kathmandu, said he had been told that all staff with Doctors Without Borders were alive but was not more specific.

Norway's Red Cross, which was helping people from the April 25 earthquake at a 60-bed hospital in Chautara in central Nepal, said on Twitter in Norwegian that there were "many injured, several killed" and added that their hospital tents already has gotten patients.

"People are terribly scared. Everyone ran out in the streets because they are afraid of being inside the houses," Norwegian Red Cross Secretary-General Asne Havnelid told Norwegian broadcaster NRK.

At the Norvic Hospital in Kathmandu, patients and doctors rushed to the parking lot.

"I thought I was going to die this time," said Sulav Singh, who rushed with his daughter into the street in the suburban neighborhood of Thapathali. "Things were just getting back to normal, and we get this one."

Nepalese have been terrified by dozens of aftershocks that hit the country in the days following the April 25 quake. Meanwhile, the impoverished country has appealed for billions of dollars in aid from foreign nations, as well as medical experts to treat the wounded and helicopters to ferry food and temporary shelters to hundreds of thousands left homeless amid unseasonal rains and unreachable with landslides blocking many mountain roads.

"This was a jolt just like the big one last month, though it was not that long," said Kathmandu resident Avinav Shrestha. "I was very scared, though. Anything can happen."

Strong shaking was also felt across northern India. In the Indian capital of New Delhi, people scrambled outdoors while buildings swayed.

Across the Nepalese border in Tibet's Jilong and Zhangmu regions, the Earth shook strongly. Tremors were also felt slightly in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa.

"Rocks fell from the mountains," Jilong county government vice chief Wang Wenxiang was quoted as saying by China News Service. "There might be some houses collapsed or damaged. We are now checking on the condition of the people."
___

Associated Press writers Katy Daigle and Tim Sullivan in New Delhi, Ian Mader from Beijing and Jan Olsen in Copenhagen contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-12

Incredibly sad and distressing news, it seems the people who are least prepared for this kind of disaster or those that can least afford it, are the ones to suffer.

The world community must be prepared to step in and assist with the recovery process...

I have have experienced a quake of that magnitude... The largest I've experienced was Northridge 6.7. It was enough to put me on my knees. God help the people in Nepal.

My thoughts and prayers for all those folks and their families. I too experienced the Northridge quake. The after shocks were very unsetteling. The buldings at Rocketdyne were damaged and rocket engines scattered around.

5 killed, 300 injured in latest Nepal quake
English.news.cn

KATHMANDU, May 12 (Xinhua) -- Five people were killed and at least 300 others injured after a powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake hit Nepal on Tuesday.

According to the local media, four people died in Sindhupalchowk, the worst-hit district by the massive 7.9- magnitude on April 24, which has left more than 8,000 people dead. Another person was killed in Teku of Kathmandu in a collapsed building.

Some 300 people have been injured in the powerful tremor, a police officer told Xinhua. According to the Home Ministry, most of the casualties were in Sindhupalchowk and Dolakha.

More than 90 percent of houses have been destroyed in Dolakha, the epicenter of the latest quake.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-05/12/c_134232657.htm

-- Xinhua 2015-05-12

northridge earth quake 6.7 was enough for me to leave Ca.

4:30 A.M. what a wake up call.

i see the "local drunk" was there also.

safest place to go is a door way if the building does not fall down. stay away from windows.

it is sad for Nepal, there will not be much left at this rate.

Incredibly sad and distressing news, it seems the people who are least prepared for this kind of disaster or those that can least afford it, are the ones to suffer.

"The world community must be prepared to step in and assist with the recovery process..."

Sad to say that Immigration and red tape prohibits anyone from assisting immediately when help is needed most. You can't even take the supplies delivered to the Airport last time, out to the needy.

safest place to go is a door way if the building does not fall down. stay away from windows.

I think I might be sleeping in the doorway of a tent...lol..?

I think I might be sleeping in the doorway of a tent...lol..?

When the quake hit very early in the morning, I was in bed. The house was shaking so bad that I couldn't make out the front door. It was flopping like a fish out of water. The worst part of it all was probably the after shocks. They just wear on your nerves to the point of nausea. The Nepalese certainly have my sympathy.

Edited by Local Drunk