lack of success shopping centre?

bod

I read the other thread about Kad Suan Kaew. I've often wondered why the shopping centre opposite Kad Suan Kaew, which was part of Kad Suan Kaew if I'm correct, was so unpopular already from the beginning, about 20 years ago. You could watch a movie there, I think it was called Vista 12. The big Kad Suan Kaew was "the hottest place in town" and the first of its kind, I think. I digress, but that brings into memory that DK bookshop (quite empty when I visited it last time, while 10 or more years ago it was always crowded) originally was located at Chiang Moi road, I think where the Bata shop is nowadays.

Any explanation for the lack of success of the shopping centre opposite Kad Suan Kaew since its start?

I don't know about when it started but I think the fact that it's not on the street level - and doesn't have street level advertising - is a problem. I don't know what stores are there and am not curious enough to go up and see.

I don't know about when it started but I think the fact that it's not on the street level - and doesn't have street level advertising - is a problem. I don't know what stores are there and am not curious enough to go up and see.

Your description also fits KSG

Whilst KSG may not be the nicest shopping complex in CM it is the best place to actually buy stuff without requiring a bank loan.

The lower rents mean there is a much wider selection of independent shops and not just the big named brands that are the same in every other shopping centre.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can still park in the Huay Kaew 12 shopping area or whatever it's called. In fact it's a great place to park if you're coming down Huay Kaew Rd from the mountain toward the old city.

If memory serves that area was a quite active disco/nightclub area around 2001 or so. I guess the kids moved on to other areas.

Initially the "big" Kad Suan Kaew was a huge success and was so for many years but the shopping center at the opposite side of the road, more or less at the same location, never flourished. So my question remains, why?

Here are my thoughts:

1. The heat and rain of Thailand simply does not allow for open space shopping centers.

2. When they first opened the shopping center did not have any recognizable brand name stores that are so crucial to having a successful shopping center.

3. When they first opened, half of the shopping center was not rented out, not giving a good impression, so it never took off. (it was actually nicely designed and modern when it was new)

Eventually night life took over and when that happens, then there is only one way to go... down.

Even the newer open space shopping center up the street past maya, which I prefer not to name, is having the same problems and having to rely on night life to exist (even so, I don't see how they can).

They (KSK) has the cheek to Charge for Car Parking in what would have to be the WORST Shopping Centre Car Park in Chiang Mai.

None of the new, decent Shopping Centres charge so what is it with these people?

KSG rocks!! The oldest and the best. I can relate to this. Affordable and centrally located. And a great place for seniors ( or perverts as some idiot on this site calls them) to enjoy a stroll and a beverage ( or a couple of pitchers). Oh, and Torrens,

5 or 10 baht to park a motorbike? " another quality expat"

Indeed it does.

What I can see in Thailand is a totally ignorance about Marketing and Planning in most business, and a massive waste of money, even from Thai big companies, and well known franchises managed by Thai people.

They (KSK) has the cheek to Charge for Car Parking in what would have to be the WORST Shopping Centre Car Park in Chiang Mai.

None of the new, decent Shopping Centres charge so what is it with these people?

It's because of it's location. KSK is the only truly centrally located shopping centre, if they didn't charge for parking lots of people who isn't coming for KSK would park there. There would not be any parking left for genuine KSK customers.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Indeed it does.

Not really. From the street level, you can see that KSK has a TOPS, Central Dept store, KFC, Starbucks, Sizzler, Black Canyon Coffee, etc.

From the street level, you can see the place across the street has......a language school?

It's pretty common for people who have business at Suan Dok hospital to park at Kad Suan Kaew and take a song thaew to get to the hospital. Obviously, the modest parking charge doesn't deter Thai people from using KSK as a central parking location.

Here are my thoughts:

1. The heat and rain of Thailand simply does not allow for open space shopping centers.

2. When they first opened the shopping center did not have any recognizable brand name stores that are so crucial to having a successful shopping center.

3. When they first opened, half of the shopping center was not rented out, not giving a good impression, so it never took off. (it was actually nicely designed and modern when it was new)

Eventually night life took over and when that happens, then there is only one way to go... down.

Even the newer open space shopping center up the street past maya, which I prefer not to name, is having the same problems and having to rely on night life to exist (even so, I don't see how they can).

This is the most sense anyone has made on this forum this month. Cut it out please. ;)

I remember when it opened.. Was the best cinema in town for a while, before Major Cineplex opened at Airport Plaza. There was a string of random little shops you walked past on the way to the cinema towards the back.. Mostly special interest / hobby kind of shops, the inevitable 199 Baht clothes shops, etc. Also some small karaoke places.

It probably did okay while the cinema was doing well. But then it falls by the wayside, which everything eventually does, even KSK. And things fall by the wayside even in very prime locations. Then the wait is for one of the big Thai companies to bring in the wrecking ball and start something else. It is the way of things.

DK Books was originally located on Thapae Road. I think there is something like an art gallery in that location now, that never looks open.

I think you're wrong, but I cannot prove it.

You could be right though, but I need to be convicted.

Edited by bod

It was definitely on Thapae Road, but it is possible that I have the wrong building.

Could be.

Are there other people who can confirm this? It's a long time ago, I guess almost 20 years since they moved.

What about "Johpa", is he into books?

Edited by bod

The Harbour.

DK Books was originally located on Thapae Road. I think there is something like an art gallery in that location now, that never looks open.

I think you're wrong, but I cannot prove it.

You could be right though, but I need to be conviNCed.

Fixed that...ermm.gif

First time i visited CM in 2000 i was trying to cross the road outside KSK. There is a painted crossing on the road but locals will never yield to pedestrians so you have wait and wait for a gap and perhaps jog across. In 2000 i thought this place needs a proper pedestrian crossing. Its 2015 now and still no pedestrian crossing installed!

Because its so hard to cross the road it makes that area unpleasant and another reason why the retail place on the other side of the road is not successful. In 15 years of struggling to cross this road i have never gone up the steps to check it out either.

Another stand out place for a pedestrian crossing is Tapae Gate Starbucks. For 15 years i have seen tourists struggling to cross the road and the locals unwilling to stop. This is all around the moat as well. Things like this really show the quality of the people in authority running the City, the Tourism Authority, the highways dept, the city planners( if there are any?) . These people are university educated but don't seem to have a clue about these issues. Very strange IMO.

....but pedestrian crossings are for people!! Cars are never going to stop.

A Thai friend of mine said he didn't think cars had to stop for people!!

It's a fairly lawless city where the ordinary pedestrian is concerned.

First time i visited CM in 2000 i was trying to cross the road outside KSK. There is a painted crossing on the road but locals will never yield to pedestrians so you have wait and wait for a gap and perhaps jog across. In 2000 i thought this place needs a proper pedestrian crossing. Its 2015 now and still no pedestrian crossing installed!

Because its so hard to cross the road it makes that area unpleasant and another reason why the retail place on the other side of the road is not successful. In 15 years of struggling to cross this road i have never gone up the steps to check it out either.

Another stand out place for a pedestrian crossing is Tapae Gate Starbucks. For 15 years i have seen tourists struggling to cross the road and the locals unwilling to stop. This is all around the moat as well. Things like this really show the quality of the people in authority running the City, the Tourism Authority, the highways dept, the city planners( if there are any?) . These people are university educated but don't seem to have a clue about these issues. Very strange IMO.

One can usually sprint across to the Thapae gate grounds but that part of Kochasarn road is a bear to cross. Even worse down by Loi Khroh Rd. In the afternoon when there are just so many cars going fairly fast and hard to find a break in the traffic. Nothing beats Bunrueang Rit road near Suthep in the afternoon. I have waited 10 minutes there to cross and still it is like a Frogger game playing with ones life.

I do not believe however that locals will not yield to pedestrians. I am at that KSK crossing almost every day and I am surprised how many drivers politely slow down lately, even for my bald farang self. Otherwise I use a tactic I learned on my first expat posting in Japan. Let a respectable looking local national, like an old woman or Monk get between traffic and oneself and use them as a blocker.

Even better a nice young woman pushing a pram. No loss of face for the driver and the accompanying blaring horns/obscenity.

Edited by arunsakda

No need to wait for a gap in traffic. Just walk across. Traffic slows & drives around you.

I just do it without thinking about it now and never have a problem crossing the street. I remember it bugged the hell out of me in 1989, when I first got here, though.

No need to wait for a gap in traffic. Just walk across. Traffic slows & drives around you.

I just do it without thinking about it now and never have a problem crossing the street. I remember it bugged the hell out of me in 1989, when I first got here, though.

Used to be a pedestrian myself, all those years ago. Now I'm the pickup driver, don't even touch the brakes, just flow around...... w00t.gif

I used to use this as a cheap form of entertainment - find a nice busy corner with traffic lights and Stop/Walk lights, settle in with a cup of coffee and watch the reactions of tourists who assume drivers will stop at a red light. Lots of jumping out of the way and shouting.