Digital Video Recording On My Pc

bdenner

I have a spare NoteBook with plenty of Hard Drive capacity and, if possible, would like to use it as a DVR from my UBC or PSI decoder.

I guess the device I’m looking for would plug into a USB or PCMCIA slot. It would have to be bi-directional eg. output the Video and audio back to the TV. I see things like the ‘Smart TV Card’ on ebay but they appear to be input devices only for viewing on the NoteBook.

Thank you

I have a spare NoteBook with plenty of Hard Drive capacity and, if possible, would like to use it as a DVR from my UBC or PSI decoder.

I guess the device I’m looking for would plug into a USB or PCMCIA slot. It would have to be bi-directional eg. output the Video and audio back to the TV. I see things like the ‘Smart TV Card’ on ebay but they appear to be input devices only for viewing on the NoteBook.

Thank you

Go to Pantip, 3. Floor, STC! Is in the back left side.

They having USB solutions, the Owner K. Visan and him wife speak english very well and the staff is good trained. They very helpful if problems occurs and have an exelent Service.

Thank you

What you need is called a TV Tuner card

Tv Tuner PCMCIA

TV Tuner USB

They convert your computer to a dvr with scheduled recording ability or live viewing. If you want to view on a regular TV you can connect a video out to the TV or burn a disc and watch it with a dvd player.

P

The trouble with the tuner card is the extra conversion to the RF signal looses quality.

It would be better to find an AV card.

The UBC box already has video and audio outputs and inputs.

These cards exist for desktop machines, but looking at Google I cannot see

one using PCMCIA or USB. :o

However it is something to bear in mind when looking in the shops that others have recommended.

The tuner card will input only, but most notebooks have an s-video socket and audio output so playing the signal back through your TV should not be a problem.

Please let us know what you do find.

The trouble with the tuner card is the extra conversion to the RF signal looses quality.

It would be better to find an AV card.

The UBC box already has video and audio outputs and inputs.

These cards exist for desktop machines, but looking at Google I cannot see

one using PCMCIA or USB. :o

However it is something to bear in mind when looking in the shops that others have recommended.

The tuner card will input only, but most notebooks have an s-video socket and audio output so playing the signal back through your TV should not be a problem.

Please let us know what you do find.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

I have spent most of the weekend on the WEB searching for information about my inquiry without much luck. Some of the hardware suggested above appears to be OK if it has dedicated Video input. I'm not too sure of the terminology used here, I think it is composite video as against a tuner which is something I am not looking for.

Since starting this I have found my Sony Vaio has a (Yellow) 'TV' output socket but when connecting it to the Video connector on the Television nothing happens. EVEREST is reporting that I have an 'Intel AIM TV Encoder' installed and working!

Is this the correct format?

Do I need additional software?

The NoteBook also has an iS400 port. The only info I have on it is it is some sort of formatted link port for Sony products (gaming????).

I have searched various forums etc for answers without luck.