australian embassy next visit to c/mai is 20.5.2015

evenstevens

a very good afternoon to all ockerssmile.png

my super duper agent has just advise me,that our embassy will visit c/mai on 20/52015

@ tamarind village..50/1 rajdamnoen rd t.sri plum a muang c/mai( walking street market)

for passports notarial services ,,stat decs, witnessing documents

hours 8.30am to noon...1 pm to 3 pm

went to their last one 27/2/2015, and impeccable/friendly service was given to me

it appears a visit every three months is now on their agendasmile.png

to make a nice day out, hot chilli resturant is across the road from tamarind village ,great thai cusine at affordable prices

and plenty of parking at the rearsmile.png

Yeh, beauty, bonza mate, cobber.

Seriously, many thanks for the info. Don't think I need their assistance with anything at the moment but is there such a thing as a Mailing List that I can get on, so as to be notified of future visits?

Cheers.

Thanks for letting us know.

But in case your super duper agent's secret access to the Australian Embassy breaks down I wonder if we could impose on the Australian Embassy to inform Thai Visa so that their notification of clinics could be posted on the Chiang Mai site.

Or do they prefer a process of osmosis?

But in case your super duper agent's secret access to the Australian Embassy breaks down I wonder if we could impose on the Australian Embassy to inform Thai Visa so that their notification of clinics could be posted on the Chiang Mai site.

Thankyou so much for this info. Its about time they realised that Thailand is more than BKK.I do hope you're right as regards the 3 monthly visit as I'll certainly take advantage of it later. I wonder if we could talk them into a email Embassy newsletter so we are informed of these things officially?

Looks like they could care less about Chiang Mai.

Australia to open full consulate in Phuket

http://news.thaivisa.com/phuket/australia-to-open-full-consulate-in-phuket/61591/

We've been publicizing it in the CEC e-newsletter for several weeks. Next time they send us an announcement I'll post it here on Thai Visa for those of you who choose not to subscribe to the CEC e-newsletter. (Incidentally, you don't have to be a member of CEC to get our e-newsletter). We also have the announcement on the CM Expats Club Facebook page. Here is the full text of the announcement. There are some important details you may want to read before showing up to see them.

The Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok has planned a consular outreach visit to Chiang Mai on Wednesday 20 May 2015 from 8.30am to 12.00pm and 1.00pm to 3.00pm at the following address:

Tamarind Village Chiang Mai
50/1 Rajdamnoen Road, Tambon Sri Pum
Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai 50200
P: 053 418 896

During this visit, they will provide the following services:
* Passport renewal applications – applicants are reminded bring all original documents, suitable photographs and a photocopy of each document.
* Notarial services
* Statutory declarations for marriage, retirement visas and driving licence renewals
* Witnessing documents

Fees are payable in cash only and applications must supply the exact correct fee. Please contact the Consular section on 02 344 6300 prior to your visit to confirm fees payable. There will not be an appointment system and people can visit at the times indicated.

Full marks to the team here today, I arrived just after opening to find nearly 20 people ahead of me, settled down for a wait but was on the road, paperwork signed and stamped, within an hour.

We need this service in the north and I'll be contacting the department accordingly.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Given that they have kept their word about the next meeting being 3 months after the first, may I ask if this means that Mike is no longer signing off on Stat Dec's?

micheal walthers the ever affable and a true ocker, a legend here by aussie expats who have been greatly touched by his honoury services which he has given here in c/mai has sadly retired as our hon consular in c/mai

hence the visiting consular from bkk,which presently is every three months, and from all reports are giving aussies a 5 star service ,thus keeping a tradition that micheal gave us,over a number of yrs

he is indeed a great aussie. and a super human being, none come better then micheal waltherssmile.png

Given that they have kept their word about the next meeting being 3 months after the first, may I ask if this means that Mike is no longer signing off on Stat Dec's?

He is now retired and no longer the Honorary Consul.

Thank you for the replies - sad for us but good for him. I admire him immensely, the amount of time he gave up to be Honorary Consul should become legendary.

I know that I'm not alone in wishing him well in his retirement, may it be happy and very long.

• 2 months later...

A multi parter....

The Embassy web site still has the Australian consulate as being open at

Australian Consulate
Jinda Charoen Konsong
236 Chiangmai-Doi Saket Road
Amphur Sansai
Chiang Mai, THAILAND
Telephone: (66 8) 1837-7750

Anybody have any recent dealings particularly in regards to the pension declaration for a retirement visa extension. I ask this given last comments by evenstevens, mcm991 and Konini on Michael's retirement. As a side I had a lengthy conversation with an A based DFAT officer just over 6 weeks ago who did mention in passing that another consul was being sought. Have not seen any adverts so I gather its a nomination by the embassy of known suitable candidates (if there are any) rather than an open advert. Has Michael a definite end date or in place until a new appointment which is at a nominated date in the future?

Next part.....given the postings of three monthly visits I take it that another one should be happening mid to late August (or about a month from now) which would negate the need for a Bangkok trip for me if the honorary consulate is no longer a goer. I would have thought that they would have a committed date (for arrangements for travel/accommodation/staffing etc) worked out a long time ago...any info on this. Maybe when they finish up one visit they could confirm the next date (if indeed another visit is certain).

Thanks all......

A multi parter....

Australian Consulate

Jinda Charoen Konsong

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Anybody have any recent dealings particularly in regards to the pension declaration for a retirement visa extension. I ask this given last comments by evenstevens, mcm991 and Konini on Michael's retirement. As a side I had a lengthy conversation with an A based DFAT officer just over 6 weeks ago who did mention in passing that another consul was being sought. Have not seen any adverts so I gather its a nomination by the embassy of known suitable candidates (if there are any) rather than an open advert. Has Michael a definite end date or in place until a new appointment which is at a nominated date in the future?

Next part.....given the postings of three monthly visits I take it that another one should be happening mid to late August (or about a month from now) which would negate the need for a Bangkok trip for me if the honorary consulate is no longer a goer. I would have thought that they would have a committed date (for arrangements for travel/accommodation/staffing etc) worked out a long time ago...any info on this. Maybe when they finish up one visit they could confirm the next date (if indeed another visit is certain).

Thanks all......

Mike Walther is slated to retire in November, I understand, but will retire earlier if a replacement is appointed.

I believe there is a short list of three being considered. I believe one is an Australian who is a paid employee of the Thai police. If this is so it would seem there would be a very strong conflict of interest.

A multi parter....

Australian Consulate

Jinda Charoen Konsong

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Thanks all......

Mike Walther is slated to retire in November, I understand, but will retire earlier if a replacement is appointed.

I believe there is a short list of three being considered. I believe one is an Australian who is a paid employee of the Thai police. If this is so it would seem there would be a very strong conflict of interest.

A multi parter....

Australian Consulate

Jinda Charoen Konsong

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Thanks all......

A multi parter....

Australian Consulate

Jinda Charoen Konsong

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Thanks all......

mambo my old cobbersmile.png

micheal has sadly retired, i have no local grapevine or hot goss that he will be replaced in c/mai,either now or in the future

you are correct in assuming the travelling aussie embassy who have given me impeccable service on both ocassions since micheals retirement that they have visited c/m ai should arr late august

my super duper visa agent pom of O/S visas ,usually emails me well in advance of the dates etc etc of their intended visit,which i will post immediately on this thread,if this indeed happens

perhaps our lovely nancy lsmile.png can also follow up the dates or any infobiggrin.png

a nice early evening to all

Edited by evenstevens

Thanks Saan and evenstevens .......Please God its not one of the Oz Foreign Police Liaison. I notice they have taken down there profiles a while back after some were linked to Loi Kroh bars, "entertainment", questionable web sites, questionable people etc etc. Nothing wrong with the activities themselves but somewhat inconsistent with policing as it is known and certainly not a good image for Hon Consul. I know some that do some very good work but surely they must be held to a higher standard. A few bad apples have really coloured my view of the Foreign Police Liaison. Sometimes I wonder how much the Embassy actually knows for sure as opposed to the promoted selective histories presented by hopeful nominees themselves.

I will flick an email off to the embassy and post any update about the next scheduled visit (if there is one).

My best wishes to Michael in retirement, he must have hit 80 or so by now and I really hope he has a long deserved and pleasant break from business and consulate duties.

Edited by mamborobert

I spoke to Mike W on the phone during his tenure.

It was apparent that he was only authorised to visit prisoners at CNX jail - nothing more.

Now, in Phuket & CNX, not an Australian appointed as Consulate.

Invariably, they are operating from a home office - not exactly in the centre of town.

How do they appoint the Consulate?

Even the Bangladeshi Consulate has an office in Huay Kaew Road. The Japanese & Koreans have consulates a Hillside 4 (Huay Kaew Rd).

Caring for Australians living overseas?

To witness stat dec's, wouldn't the person appointed already have to be in a position (or retired in some cases) to be able to witness, as per lists of authorised people?

To witness stat dec's, wouldn't the person appointed already have to be in a position (or retired in some cases) to be able to witness, as per lists of authorised people?

No. Actually for some Australian Declarations you can use someone who holds the equivalent position here. Most JPs are not authorised outside their own states.

For Declarations at the embassy, as required by government departments here they must apply their stamp (and collect their fee). Some counties embassies allow their Honary consuls to take affadavits etc but the Australian one does not.

True in a sense. I could previously sign stat decs in Australia.

Any Commonwealth Officer (embassy staff) of more than five years standing was usually authorised to sign stat decs and virtually anybody in embassy to certify a true copy.

But here we are dealing with Thai requirements so your standing to sign stat decs that are valid in Australia is of little import. Immigration require the affidavit to be signed by the Embassy and/or Consulate/Honorary Consul.

The embassy web site has been updated and advises the following :

The Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok will be undertaking a Consular outreach visit to Chiang Mai and Phuket as follows:

CHIANG MAI

Friday 4 September 2015 from 8.30am to 12.00pm and 1.00pm to 3.00pm at:
Tamarind Village Chiang Mai
50/1 Rajdamnoen Road, Tambon Sri Pum
Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai 50200
P: 053 418 896

During the outreach visits, we will provide the following services:
* Passport applications – please ensure you bring all original documents and a photocopy of each document with you.
* Notarial services
* Statutory declarations for marriage, retirement visas and driving licence renewals
* Witnessing documents
* Certified true copies of documents (please ensure you bring the original and a photocopy of each document with you)

Fees are payable in cash only. Please contact the Consular section on 02 344 6300 prior to your visit to confirm fees payable.

Edited by mamborobert