Rumours On Some Immigration Ruling

Checking on some grape vine, that there is a ruling early next year, they are shipping out those farang who are not paying income tax to the Thai Govt. Any comments but do not welcome any mockery, please.

Hardly think so, as most people don't yet know who the Government is going to be, without what laws they will decide on. :o

The was atime - way back - when farangs had to get tax cxlearance before they were allowed to leave the country - had to show the tax clearance paper at the airport.

It used to be a nightmare and caught every farang regardless if he was working, if he had been here over a period of time - 90 days I think, from memory. They said that even if you were a long stay tourist or were retired, you had to pay tax on the money you brougt into the country to live on. They would "deem" a minimum amount, and you had to spend hours at the tax office, paying your tax and getting the clerarance certificate.

Maybe those times are coming back again? Anyone know for sure? :o

The was atime - way back - when farangs had to get tax cxlearance before they were allowed to leave the country - had to show the tax clearance paper at the airport.

It used to be a nightmare and caught every farang regardless if he was working, if he had been here over a period of time - 90 days I think, from memory. They said that even if you were a long stay tourist or were retired, you had to pay tax on the money you brougt into the country to live on. They would "deem" a minimum amount, and you had to spend hours at the tax office, paying your tax and getting the clerarance certificate.

would a second passport help :-)

would a second passport help :-)

Perhaps ..... if you stood on it , it would make you taller and you might get quicker service at the counter

Given the taxation sections in the Free Trade Agreements that Thailand is busy signing with a number of countries I think this could be very hard to enforce.

The simplest way around this rumoured rule/law would be to claim you paid tax on the money prior to bringing it into Thailand. The money was then imported as part of the requirement of Thai law to comply with visa regulations, house, business, retirement .... The explain that as a result of clause XX of the FTA with my country the money and profits can be repatriated. If there are profits there could well be tax owing there. This tax is declared at home or next port of call for the money :o and it reduces or negates tax to be paid there.

Checking on some grape vine, that there is a ruling early next year, they are shipping out those farang who are not paying income tax to the Thai Govt. Any comments but do not welcome any mockery, please.

They're going to ship out all the western tourists? Who will eat all the German food in Patong?

This is not mockery...I'm serious!!!

And which grape vine have you been checking out these days....the only thing I get from grape vines is grapes!!! I think I'd like to switch vines.

Edited by chownah

Checking on some grape vine, that there is a ruling early next year, they are shipping out those farang who are not paying income tax to the Thai Govt.
If you are talking about foreigners who work illegally in Thailand, there have been laws and regulations for decades to expel them.

Do you fall into this category of tax evaders, perchance, and are concerned for this reason? Or do you have a work permit and pay income taxes?

---------------

Maestro

In a general level you are liable for tax on your income if you stay in Thailand for more than 180 days in any calendar year.

This is applied to those who work in Thailand.

In the case of retirees, there is a general assumption that their income has already been taxed at source.

However it is a good idea to have the documentation to hand to prove this, just in case you are investigated.

In the case of those who live in Thailand, but derive and income from overseas, it also a good idea to have documentation to hand to show it has been taxed.

Thai tax only applies to money remitted to Thailand during the year.

It takes little effort to obtain a Tax Card from your local office and then to make a declaration each year, even if it does show a zero liability.

If you are legally married to a Thai then you can claim and allowance for your spouse.

Taking steps like these will minimise the risk of being thrown out as the authorities tighten up.

I'm another one that's fallen through the cracks and will have to leave Thailand. I've been working here legally (with work permit) as a teacher for 3 1/2 years. I resigned from my job which is effective at the end of this semester so my work permit will be cancelled. I was planning on staying in Thailand working on a business idea in the US and living on US income (I've never worked here illegally).

But with this new law coming into effect, that won't be possible. I'll only be able to stay 90 days and then I'm out.

It's incredibly unfair. I love Thailand, I'm not working here illegally, I spend about 60,000 to 80,000 baht a month here and never cause trouble.

But, I'm 44 years old (don't qualify for the O visa), I'm female (no Thai girlfriend to marry), don't have 3 million baht to invest in Thailand, and do NOT want to go back to teaching here (worst 3 1/2 years of my life teaching). So, basically, I'm screwed.

The plan right now if all this happens, is to leave Thailand in November taking my savings of 1.25 million baht with me. Very sorry, Thailand. I would have stayed, but yet again, you're chasing away the people that are willing to help your country and allowing to remain many people who are only hindering it.

Oh well ..... on to bigger and better things in another country. (Mexico is supposed to be fabulous for people with a bit of money).