Patong Tuk-tuk Driver Denies Tourist R_ape

george

Tuk-tuk driver denies tourist r_ape

PATONG: -- A tuk-tuk driver arrested yesterday afternoon has denied raping a 20-year-old female Australian tourist in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Pol Col Teeraphol Thipjareon, Superintendent of Kathu District Police Station, today told the Gazette, “The suspect has admitted that he took the woman back to her hotel on the night in question but he denies raping her.”

Col Teeraphol declined to comment further.

However, Thai-language daily newspaper Kom Chad Luek yesterday reported that a friend of the alleged victim had told police that before the incident they had been drinking around Soi Bangla.

Just after midnight they hailed a tuk-tuk from the end of the soi and lifted the woman, who was having difficulty walking, into the back of the vehicle, the report said.

The friends gave the driver 500 baht, telling h im to take the woman back to the Merlin Beach Resort at Tritrang Beach, where they were staying. When they arrived back at the hotel, they knocked on the woman’s door to check that she had arrived safely, said the report.

The woman, in tears, said that the driver had raped her at a secluded spot at Tritrang Beach. After he had finished raping her, he took her back to her hotel, the report said.

The report also said that doctors at Patong Hospital, who also declined to give comment to the Gazette, had examined the victim, and told police that the woman had grazes on both elbows and traces of semen in her vagina and underwear. A sample of the semen was taken as evidence.

Two of the woman’s friends who had hired the tuk-tuk for her were asked by officers at Kathu District Police Station to try to identify the assailant from a book of photos of Patong tuk-tuk drivers, the report said.

One of the friends was able to p ick out the alleged attacker and photos of the man were distributed to police throughout the beach resort town.

--Phuket Gazette/Kom Chad Luek 2006-09-09

--

Australian tourist allegedly r_aped

PHUKET: -- Police in the Thai holiday resort of Phuket are investigating the alleged rape of a young Australian tourist.

The 20-year-old was allegedly raped in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The incident is said to have occurred after the woman, whose name and address has not been revealed, had been drinking with friends for several hours on Tritrang Beach.

Pol Col Teeraphol Thipjareon said the suspect, a tuk-tuk (taxi) driver, admitted taking the woman back to her hotel on the night in question but denies raping her.

A local newspaper reported that a friend of the alleged victim told police that after a night's drinking they hailed a tuk-tuk and helped the woman, who was having difficulty walking, into the vehicle, which then drove off.

The friends paid the driver in advance and instructed him to take the woman back to the Merlin Beach Resort at Tritrang Beach, where they were all staying.

When they arrived back at the hotel, they knocked on the woman's door to check that she had arrived safely.

She allegedly appeared in tears and described how the driver had sexually assaulted her before driving her home.

The report also said doctors at Patong Hospital had examined the victim, and told police that they found grazes on both elbows and traces of semen in her vagina and underwear.

A sample of the semen was taken as evidence.

The suspect was picked up by police after the girl's friends identified him from a book of photographs.

--news.com.au 2006-09-09

###################################################

All you need to know about the new Bangkok airport:

Suvarnabhumi Airport Forum

###################################################

Errr.........Ummmmm?.

Yes her friends were irresponsible. they were probably drunk as well.

However, the tuk tuk is a public service employee and he is also a man.

Is it then decreed by the comments posted here as o.k. to rape a drunk woman?.

The fact that she was drunk is irrelevant - if she was raped and that is shown by the DNA then her condition is not an excuse for what is an extremely violent offence.

Any of you guys got sisters or wives or girlfriends who get drunk?.(Sometimes even?)

Cheers,

Couthy.

quote name='britmaveric' date='2006-09-09 19:56:15' post='885979']

Her mates are responsible for this one, would you trust leaving a legless mate in the hands of a stranger? Fking selfish gits. :o

Have to agree with Coutty here - am sure the girl's travel agent forgot to mention that "oh, by the way - don't be getting drunk and expect the taxi / tuk tuk driver to see you safely back to your hotel without R_APING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Another reason to break the strangle-hold of Phuket's tuk tuk transport "MAFIA" (?) - this is outrageous - the story was TOP 4 in the Australian world media today.... :o

It’ll all be shrugged off as one bad apple. It probably won’t be long before we’re reading of a similar case….and it doesn’t just apply to tuk tuk drivers; I can remember a story about a motorbike taxi driver that committed a similar offence here in Phuket.

It should not a big deal for the famous BIB. After all DNA is not a big deal in Thailand, it is a matter of getting a confession, and our friends have been learning from Bush cs.

We all saw the enthousiastic statements from the head of immigration a few weeks back, he didn't mind either to check upon the evidence. Sad that these things happen.

Errr.........Ummmmm?.

Yes her friends were irresponsible. they were probably drunk as well.

However, the tuk tuk is a public service employee and he is also a man.

Is it then decreed by the comments posted here as o.k. to rape a drunk woman?.

The fact that she was drunk is irrelevant - if she was raped and that is shown by the DNA then her condition is not an excuse for what is an extremely violent offence.

Any of you guys got sisters or wives or girlfriends who get drunk?.(Sometimes even?)

Cheers,

Couthy.

quote name='britmaveric' date='2006-09-09 19:56:15' post='885979']

Her mates are responsible for this one, would you trust leaving a legless mate in the hands of a stranger? Fking selfish gits. :o

Have to agree with Coutty here - am sure the girl's travel agent forgot to mention that "oh, by the way - don't be getting drunk and expect the taxi / tuk tuk driver to see you safely back to your hotel without R_APING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Another reason to break the strangle-hold of Phuket's tuk tuk transport "MAFIA" (?) - this is outrageous - the story was TOP 4 in the Australian world media today.... :D

Agree entirely with couthy and Khall here. Her mates are totally responsible for bad judgement, but that is not the same as rape is it? In retrospect, I can see what a dumb move the whole incident was, but I live here, and hindsight is 20/20.

How are they to know that they are visiting a culture where being drunk or vulnerable in variable conditons (out to late, not wearing "proper" clothing, and just, well, vulnerable) is considered an invitation and the woman's fault.

*edit: and in terms of DNA, the tuk tuk driver is going to argue that she gave consent. In this country, she wasn't supposed to report the rape, especially when out alone drunk, she was supposed to crawl away and hide in shame.

Edited by kat

It really does give Patong and Phuket a terrible name, that you can't go out, get drunk and be sure to get home safely. You can't blame the others. The sad fact is that you can't trust a member of the community, having been paid handsomely, to take someone home. Sad sad place and sad sad people

Another reason to break the strangle-hold of Phuket's tuk tuk transport "MAFIA" (?) - this is outrageous - the story was TOP 4 in the Australian world media today.... :o

Have to disagree a little here

Firstly , in a couple of years in Patong I got on great with the tuk-tuk drivers

that park on Bangla. Never had a problem. That's not talking about the "cruisers"

like the guy my GF said was on YaBa and happened to have a gun in his pocket.

There are cowboys and outlaws but I found they were very much in the minority.

Secondly , would these people have done the same thing with her at home (

wherever they come from) ? Just stuffed her in a cruising taxi ?

The tuk-tuk driver deserves whatever he gets. And I've a feeling he will get it.

It’ll all be shrugged off as one bad apple. It probably won’t be long before we’re reading of a similar case….and it doesn’t just apply to tuk tuk drivers; I can remember a story about a motorbike taxi driver that committed a similar offence here in Phuket.

sadly under thai law the ususally get off,his word(a thai) against a falaang,he just has to say she wanted it!!! :o

why do the police have a book of photo's of the tuk tuk drivers?

do they commit crimes that often??

Well, in the states all drivers of a public conveyance must have permit and picture on file. Why would we expect it to be different here?

Those who shoved her in the tuk tuk were real buddies!! Does not exonerate the driver at all but I would hope she changes friends soon.

In the western world our governments also have photos of us, (driving licence, passport) not because we commit crimes, but because they know a percentage of us will. And the blue blooded gang own the prisons, so the quicker they can get us in, the fatter the goose will be at Christmas. The same system the changed for location will be very much the same

Tuk Tuk driver certainly will get his, but bloody hel_l if I'm legless and out of my mind, my mates always taken care of me. Never abandoned me or made my safety the concern of others.

This is the problem people have a mind set that nothing bad happens when you are on holiday and they let their guard down. It's bloody disappointing and I feel for the poor girl - she needlessly was put at risk. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Firstly , in a couple of years in Patong I got on great with the tuk-tuk drivers

that park on Bangla. Never had a problem. That's not talking about the "cruisers"

The tuk-tuk driver deserves whatever he gets. And I've a feeling he will get it.

Well, Farangsay, FIRSTLY - you are a bloke.. good on you that you get on well with the tuk tuk drivers. I'm a woman and I live here... I do not like them - as a rule - but have met a few gems. They don't get away with much on the odd occasion I am unfortunate enough to need their service.... but I would never travel alone with them.

2ndly- how many women do you hear are raped in the major tourism destinations of the world by service providers such as taxi drivers? Generally - it is the driver at risk from the dangeous public!!!

God help Phuket - and Samui, for that matter, if these degenerate creeps keep maiming and killing female tourists...

:D

It is debatable whether or not these friends would have acted in the same manner had they been sober. Even the victim accepted the lift. Obviously being drunk blurs one's vision and thoughts. I think that we should blame all of them for not having someone chosen as staying sober.

As far as how the tuk-tuk driver is concerned, well, anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than 3 weeks knows that most of the ones in Phuket are annoying (and I am being polite). I did not find them to be nearly as bothersome in the North. And, most of them in Phuket are after money. They fake to be helping you. Whatever you are looking for is always 2 km or very far. Test them. Ask them to tell you how far a known location is and you'll know if they are trying to rip you off. In other words, most of them cannot be trusted.

As far as the rape goes, let's remember that many women are not exactly the most reputable kinds out there too. They lie too. (Of course, some men are liars too.) So, it is possible that she did lie. However, assuming she did not let him on or that her behaviour did not make him believe that she was interested (another possibility), this is tantamount to a person walking with a Rolex watch in the middle of Bogota or showing a dog a bowl of water when it has not being drinking for days. As a man, I am very aware of what I should wear and show when I am walking around in poorer places around the world. Of course, if I were to be getting drunk, I might not be as aware or rational and make mistakes. I doubt that this situation would have taken place had those women (or one of them) been sober. If Í were to choose not to wear a condom while having sex with an unknown partner who has VD, even though both parties would be guilty of negligence, I would pay the ultimate penalty, no matter what. NOth aprties would be guilty. One for non-disclosure and one for acting foolishly.

When you make mistakes, you sometimes have to pay the price. So, this is all about negligence, engendered by large consumption of alcohol. And, if the guy did take advantage, it was the girls negligence that provoked it. He was not drunk (one would assume), so I would think that both parties are guilty. This is a grey situation.

Adults have to take responsibilities for their actions.

PS: Even though I know Thailand is a fairly safe place, one should be careful that things at night changes (especially when people drink). That's everywhere in the world. (Also Thai guys must hate farang guys who are stealing their potential GFs. Maybe some of them hate foreigners as a result as well. It must be frustrating for them.)

Sorry for the ... short post. :o

HER mates definately are partly to blame for that

Forgive me but isn't the real crime here the fact that these girls paid 500 baht to a tuk tuk??? :o ouch!

That's the going price (total thievery!) for a short trip in these parts - do you live here? If not - don't comment!!!!

It is debatable whether or not these friends would have acted in the same manner had they been sober. Even the victim accepted the lift. Obviously being drunk blurs one's vision and thoughts. I think that we should blame all of them for not having someone chosen as staying sober.

As far as how the tuk-tuk driver is concerned, well, anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than 3 weeks knows that most of the ones in Phuket are annoying (and I am being polite). I did not find them to be nearly as bothersome in the North. And, most of them in Phuket are after money. They fake to be helping you. Whatever you are looking for is always 2 km or very far. Test them. Ask them to tell you how far a known location is and you'll know if they are trying to rip you off. In other words, most of them cannot be trusted.

As far as the rape goes, let's remember that many women are not exactly the most reputable kinds out there too. They lie too. (Of course, some men are liars too.) So, it is possible that she did lie. However, assuming she did not let him on or that her behaviour did not make him believe that she was interested (another possibility), this is tantamount to a person walking with a Rolex watch in the middle of Bogota or showing a dog a bowl of water when it has not being drinking for days. As a man, I am very aware of what I should wear and show when I am walking around in poorer places around the world. Of course, if I were to be getting drunk, I might not be as aware or rational and make mistakes. I doubt that this situation would have taken place had those women (or one of them) been sober. If Í were to choose not to wear a condom while having sex with an unknown partner who has VD, even though both parties would be guilty of negligence, I would pay the ultimate penalty, no matter what. NOth aprties would be guilty. One for non-disclosure and one for acting foolishly.

When you make mistakes, you sometimes have to pay the price. So, this is all about negligence, engendered by large consumption of alcohol. And, if the guy did take advantage, it was the girls negligence that provoked it. He was not drunk (one would assume), so I would think that both parties are guilty. This is a grey situation.

Adults have to take responsibilities for their actions.

PS: Even though I know Thailand is a fairly safe place, one should be careful that things at night changes (especially when people drink). That's everywhere in the world. (Also Thai guys must hate farang guys who are stealing their potential GFs. Maybe some of them hate foreigners as a result as well. It must be frustrating for them.)

Sorry for the ... short post. :o