DTAM insists Thai massage did not kill a 37 year old woman

webfact

DTAM insists Thai massage did not kill a 37 year old woman

BANGKOK, 14 May 2015 (NNT)-The Department of Thai Traditional and Complementary Medicine (DTAM) has insisted that the recent death of a 37 year old woman after receiving a massage resulted from heart disease.

According to DTAM Director General Dr. Thawatchai Kamoltham, an autopsy has revealed that the woman died from acute myocardial infarction, commonly known as a heart attack.

He claimed no one has ever died from having a Thai massage since it was invented hundreds of years ago. Most common side effects anyone has ever experienced include having small cuts and dizziness which he said were not of serious concerns.

However, he added that people with contagious diseases or symptoms of illness must not receive any type of massage. They include a 38.5 degree Celsius or higher fever, having an infection, fractured bones, heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, skin disease, cancer, following recent surgery, any wound, osteoporosis and blood vessel infections.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-14 footer_n.gif

When I first came to Thailand, I was sick and visiting a small clinic on Phi Phi for treatment. As I was sitting in the waiting room, I could hear bloodcurdling screams coming from inside the treatment room. I was thinking to myself, what am I doing here! I almost left, but stayed.

Come to find out, it was a backpacker who had his rib dislocated from a traditional Thai massage. I've never had once since that experience.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/can-massage-be-dangerous-104842411582.html

When I first came to Thailand, I was sick and visiting a small clinic on Phi Phi for treatment. As I was sitting in the waiting room, I could hear bloodcurdling screams coming from inside the treatment room. I was thinking to myself, what am I doing here! I almost left, but stayed.

Come to find out, it was a backpacker who had his rib dislocated from a traditional Thai massage. I've never had once since that experience.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/can-massage-be-dangerous-104842411582.html

In my 30 years of Thai massages, I have never allow them to step on me waist up. I would tell them to massage my back using their elbows instead.

About 7 years ago I had my first and last Thai massage. I ended up in Bangkok Phuket hospital for a week. Severe damage to my sciatta. Never again will I go anywhere near a so called Thai massage. Most of the practitioners have no formal qualifications. Just another Thai scam.

About 7 years ago I had my first and last Thai massage. I ended up in Bangkok Phuket hospital for a week. Severe damage to my sciatta. Never again will I go anywhere near a so called Thai massage. Most of the practitioners have no formal qualifications. Just another Thai scam.

Not so much a scam, but definately, most practitioners are untrained.

The list should include pregnancy and menstruation.

There is not the slightest contraindication to massage during menstruation. why on earth would there be?

Massage is also OK during pregnancy as long as it does not involve abdominal massage.

The list should include pregnancy and menstruation.

There is not the slightest contraindication to massage during menstruation. why on earth would there be?

Massage is also OK during pregnancy as long as it does not involve abdominal massage.

That's very dangerous advice. Are you qualified to give it?

(Someone who I know is qualified would say that you are giving potentially fatal advice. That person would say that massaging the lower leg areas during pregnancy can invoke labour.)

You shouldn't have a massage if you have diabetes? That rules out a lot of potential customers - even among Thais.

No sensible reason for not having massage if diabetic. However if there is neuropathy, need to make sure they are gentle on the feet.

The main dangers from Thai massage, if done by a poorly trained person, are musculoskeletal. The "snapping" of fingers and toes can cause dislocations, overly vigorous massage (or massage on people with spinal problems, osteoporosis etc) can cause fractures or worsen underlying musculoskeletal conditions.