Thai Ministries to discuss high cost of medicines, medical services

webfact

MEDICAL SERVICES
Ministries to discuss high cost of medicines, medical services

Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry will today hold a meeting with the Commerce Ministry and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board to discuss the problem of expensive medicines and overpriced medical services.

The move was prompted by a demonstration by the Thai Medical Error Network at Government House to highlight the effect on patients of overpricing at private hospitals.

The Public Health Ministry said it would discuss the matter with concerned agencies and representatives from consumer groups.

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, director-general at the Internal Trade Department, said although the department was responsible for the price of goods, the cost of medicine and medical services is the responsibility of the Public Health by law. Thus, the department will have to decide if it should call for the price of medicine and medical services to be controlled under the Price and Service Act.

"The Public Health Ministry can ask for the Internal Trade Department's cooperation to help control the price of medicine under its lists to ensure fair treatment for consumers," Boonyarit said.

The Public Health Ministry already has a list of generic medicine so that it can control the prices at public hospitals. The ministry could adapt its list of medicines to control the prices at private hospitals as well, Boonyarit said.

In addition, under the current price act, the cost of medicine should be clearly labelled on medicine packages to allow consumers to make a choice.

In a bid to control the price of medical services at private hospitals, every hospital is required to clearly show patients the price of medicine and medical services so that patients can make an informed decision about where they want to be treated.

The Thai Medical Error Network has also called on private hospitals to charge a fair price for emergency services for a period of up to 72 hours per patient. The Public Health Ministry has been asked to find measures to help protect consumers' rights during the current economic downturn.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Ministries-to-discuss-high-cost-of-medicines-medic-30260102.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-15

My usual Doctor at Bangkok Hospital wasn't available recently at the time I visited, and I was shuttled all over the place and ended up seeing a Doctor that specialized in Psychiatry (supposedly) ... a 5 minute consultation (consisting of me telling him what medication I needed) resulted in a 3,000 baht "Doctor's Fee" ... a tad excessive for what was involved and the time involved.

My usual Doctor at Bangkok Hospital wasn't available recently at the time I visited, and I was shuttled all over the place and ended up seeing a Doctor that specialized in Psychiatry (supposedly) ... a 5 minute consultation (consisting of me telling him what medication I needed) resulted in a 3,000 baht "Doctor's Fee" ... a tad excessive for what was involved and the time involved.

Actually not trying to brow beat you but, in developed countries at such a large hospital a visit such as that would cost you 2-3 times that price.

I work in Turkey where medicines (original, made in Germany, etc) are one quarter to one third of Thai prices. That's comparing farmacy prices, let alone the prices charged in hospitals here.

Actually not trying to brow beat you but, in developed countries at such a large hospital a visit such as that would cost you 2-3 times that price.

Agree, which is why some are here. We cannot afford to live in our home countries, in part, due to medical costs. Great money maker for Thailand if they could offer resident expat health insurance for use here in Thailand only, they would serve a need and perhaps be supplementing some of their medical services improvements through further promotion as a center for medicine. Just a thought....

That's why many from developed countries are retiring in this part of the world...

My advice?

Do some research.... There is a new so called trade deal happening, Or trying to..... It is called the TPP or the Trans-Pacific Partnership... Google it and find out what it is about.... If you think meds are expensive now? Just wait.... From what I have gathered, the generic meds will be eliminated, and Big-Pharma is gonna cash in. Do not have a lot on it, since it is being done in secrecy, behind closed doors... I will reserve any comments, until some do some research.

There are 28 chapters to it and all countries that involved in it, at this point are keep the citizenry, in the dark.... Just what I have discovered so far.... But if Obama is behind it? It can not be to good.....

Have a great day....

kilosierra..... wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif