First UK Child Passport

I'm a British National married to a Thai. We have a ten year old daughter who is a Thai national and holds a Thai passport. We have visited the UK in the past on four separate occasions for family holidays.

I want to apply for a UK passport forr my daughter. Do I need to complete a Certificate of Registration/Naturalisation as part of the application? If so, could anyone advice me on how/where I can get hold of said certificate?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've downloaded various application forms, but I'm being a bit stupid on this bit!!

If you married your daughter's mother before or even after the birth your daughter is already British and you just have to apply for a passport. Check this for yourself at https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen. Overseas passport application forms and answers to everything else you need to know are on other sections of that site. Process took about 21 days when I applied a couple of months ago. Cost £76 as I recall.

If you married your daughter's mother before or even after the birth your daughter is already British and you just have to apply for a passport. Check this for yourself at https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen. Overseas passport application forms and answers to everything else you need to know are on other sections of that site. Process took about 21 days when I applied a couple of months ago. Cost £76 as I recall.

Imin a similar boat i have a 6 and 5 yr old and i would like to apply for passports for both, we are maried and were at time of birth, is there anything special you needed to do like ofiicially translate birth certificate etc and if so how did you do it?

Thanks

For children born outside the UK after 1 July 2006 it is not necessary for the British father to be married to the foreign (Thai) mother for the child to be British.

As long as

• the father is named as such on the birth certificate, or can prove by other means that he is the father;
  • the mother was not married to someone else at the time and
  • the father is British otherwise than by descent (see here)

then the child is British.

If the child is not British because they were born before 1 July 2006 and their parents were not married, then it may be possible to register them as British. See Chapter 7A: registration of persons born before 1 July 2006 whose parents were not married (nationality instructions).

If the child is not British for any other reason, then it will only be possible to apply for registration as British if they are resident in the UK with no time restriction on their stay.

Danny, assuming your child is already British, then to apply for her British passport and the documents required, see Overseas British passport applications

You will need your long form birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, not the short form one which contains only your details.

This is to show whether you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent. As your child was born outside the UK, they will only be British if you are British otherwise than by descent.

If you do not have your long form birth certificate you can order one from the GRO. (That link is for people born in England or Wales. If you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland follow the appropriate link from there.)

For children born outside the UK after 1 July 2006 it is not necessary for the British father to be married to the foreign (Thai) mother for the child to be British.

As long as

• the father is named as such on the birth certificate, or can prove by other means that he is the father;
  • the mother was not married to someone else at the time and
  • the father is British otherwise than by descent (see here)

then the child is British.

If the child is not British because they were born before 1 July 2006 and their parents were not married, then it may be possible to register them as British. See Chapter 7A: registration of persons born before 1 July 2006 whose parents were not married (nationality instructions).

If the child is not British for any other reason, then it will only be possible to apply for registration as British if they are resident in the UK with no time restriction on their stay.

That is not quite true. There are other categories where they may be registered, sometimes by right (e.g. parent first generation British by descent and sufficient residence in the UK) and sometimes at discretion (e.g. biological but not legal fatherhood, but no restriction on father's general right to transmit nationality).

Imin a similar boat i have a 6 and 5 yr old and i would like to apply for passports for both, we are maried and were at time of birth, is there anything special you needed to do like ofiicially translate birth certificate etc and if so how did you do it?

Thanks

As well as your full long UK birth certificate mentioned by 7by7, you will also need the originals, copies and certified translations of [a] the child's birth certificate naming you as father, both the child and your wife's tabien bahn house book, plus you should also take your wife's id card or passport.

You won't need marriage certificate (or translation) as your child was born after 1st July 2006. This is only needed if the child was born before that date.

If the child was born before that date and you were not married to the mother either at time of birth or subsequently, then your child can still be British but you have to apply for citizenship to be granted first using form UKF.

I got my translations done via http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Simple process. Contact them, tell them what you need, they will ask for the documents to be emailed, then give you a price, you agree the price (I think I paid about 300 a page + 100 for extra copies) and they will either mail them to you or you can pick them up or they can deliver to a Bangkok hotel etc as required.

Thanks

As well as your full long UK birth certificate mentioned by 7by7, you will also need the originals, copies and certified translations of [a] the child's birth certificate naming you as father, both the child and your wife's tabien bahn house book, plus you should also take your wife's id card or passport.

You won't need marriage certificate (or translation) as your child was born after 1st July 2006. This is only needed if the child was born before that date.

If the child was born before that date and you were not married to the mother either at time of birth or subsequently, then your child can still be British but you have to apply for citizenship to be granted first using form UKF.

I got my translations done via http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Simple process. Contact them, tell them what you need, they will ask for the documents to be emailed, then give you a price, you agree the price (I think I paid about 300 a page + 100 for extra copies) and they will either mail them to you or you can pick them up or they can deliver to a Bangkok hotel etc as required.

Sorry only just saw this, thanks for the advice