Tourist police checking farangs today in Hua Hin

roly

Tourist police in an unmarked car turned up in our street today and handed out forms to farangs. Details requested include name, address, home address, occupation, vehicle details, passport number etc as well as space to draw a map and they also wanted a photo. When asked why the answer was not clear. Any idea why they're asking farangs in hua hin to register? The firm says foreign national registration.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this. Why would Tourist police be asking or telling farlang to give personal details? Unless I am in trouble I wouldn't be giving any details as Immigration has all that info already.

I would want them to tell me what authority they have to do this. May be different if it were immigration doing some crack down.

You see reports like this show up on the forum every so often. Mostly from issan or Chiangmai areas. I've even had a visit from the local cops requesting info a few years ago. Somewhere in the old threads is a copy of the details they required.

A relative is a police capt and he told me they get instructions from higher up to keep a register of Farangs in their area supposedly so the police can help in times of death etc.

A couple of the older threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675485-visit-from-the-police-what-was-that-all-about/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/268332-foreigners-required-to-register-at-local-police-station/

Is this one of the streets full of bars ? A tourist area ?

I'm registered at immigration already and I'm pretty sure I won't be filling out any other forms until my extension.

No this is a quiet residential area.

Is this one of the streets full of bars ? A tourist area ?

I'm registered at immigration already and I'm pretty sure I won't be filling out any other forms until my extension.

No this is a quiet residential area.

That is strange. Were they knocking on doors or just stopping people they stumbled upon ?

In a quiet residential area I doubt there would be too many people walking around so if they were knocking on doors did they knock on only certain doors, doors where they know foreigners live or every door ?

What I'm getting at is : I wonder if they're looking for people who live in properties where the landlords / owners haven't filed the correct paperwork when a foreigner comes to stay.

If it was an immigration thing it would be the immigration police who came looking instead of the tourist police so I doubt it's anything directly related to immigration which is why I'm wondering about the paperwork required for foreigners staying at an address.

The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Firstly, as already mentioned, tourist police do not do immigration work.

People living in houses are unlikely to be tourists, I assume that as soon as you have a non-immigtrant Visa, marriage or retirement etc you are certainly not a tourist.

Tourist police are what it says tourist police they do not work with immigration I had a visit once from immigration police in plain clothes they looked at mine and my wife's passport and were more than happy , what they were looking for was illegal burmese workers

Tourist police in an unmarked car turned up in our street today and handed out forms to farangs.

Are you saying that the tourist police only went up to white skinned people? The title of your post certainly makes this seem sinister, whereas "Tourist Police Checking Foreigners Today" comes off as a bit dull. Nice reporting.

Guess it's about prostitution and scam.

Too many Farangs complain all the time that they get ripped off by bar girls (which they call "prostitutes"), and now Tourist Police tries to find out what's behind it.

Also Farangs complain about being scammed by Thai women quite often. Be glad if they investigate now. You've got nothing to hide, have you?

I had something like this last year in hua hin. It wasn't immigration, it was a govt dept carrying out a sort of census on demographics. But because of language barriers it took me a week to find out what it was about

that kind of folklore police would get two words from me :: <deleted> OFF

they have no legal power anyway

scammers getiing your info to do a nice identity theft

I thought Tourist Police was a regular polie force with a narrowed down portfolio. They have the same authority as most other poilice.

You may be thinking of Tourist Police Volunteers.

I am curious and do not understand. Can someone please clarify this? Are these Thai Police Officers?

Note:

Are these "Tourist Police" Thai Nationals who are, Policemen? Then I guess "Yes Sir" is the only choice...but I would still push back a bit.

If it is those wanna be mall cops ... I have enough shoes, so sacrificing one to insert it where the sun don't shine is a small cost for making a point.

If the Immigration wanted to know who was where they only need look at the 90 day reports.

Without any proof that these were 'real' officials undertaking 'authorised' work then nobody can say what they want falangs addresses for. Possibly they need the addresses of good places to 'rob' or 'raid' for criminal activity as they might not be genuine.

It reminds me of the music license scam in Pattaya with so called 'officials' raiding the bars (with the help of the police) and extorting large sums of cash for 'illegally' playing licensed music. Turns out they had no authorisation to do so by the license holders and it was all a scam.

I would have offered to go to Immigration with them and fill in the form there. If they were genuine they would have agreed, if not they would have b******d off.

Sounds like it could be an ID theft scam to me. Were they in uniform? If not did they identify themselves and show police identification? In any case i doubt I would be filling the form out as I am already correctly registered with immigration and as far as I am concerned that's sufficient to comply with the law. Unless of course the alternative was to get handcuffed, thrown in the back of their car and taken to the Police Station!

hello,

I had no control or distribution of paper by any police department or administration, in my street;

Perhaps they were looking ROLY.

Remember, he had promised to break everything to 3BB. ph34r.pngbeatdeadhorse.gif

And as the police regularly reads the forum THAIVISA. Hein !!!!! cheesy.gif

But to be serious, it is not wrong writes PETERRABBIT

Your making to much out of nothing.

Really? Nothing? Unmarked car.. How do you know these guys are not criminals taking addresses and details of homes to rob later? They have the car details so can see if people are home or not..