how do I change data plans on AIS?

diginomad

Hello,
I am currently on a large data package on AIS. I believe its called MaoMao 799 8gb with 4 free (its a data only package as I don't do voice calls at all, only voip)

Its a bit much for me actually and has now expired.

Does anyone know of any smaller packages than this one and how to deactivate the current one and activate the smaller one?

The best way to sign up for/do any changing of plans on AIS is to go into one of their stores and do it face-to-face. I know that seems ridiculous in this digital age, and it used to be really easy to sign up for/cancel plans just by using a code on your phone, but no more...do it in person. Sometimes by doing that you'll even find out about a better deal you didn't know about on your own.

I agree. Just go into one of their offices and discuss their plans and how each one might meet your needs. I'd suggest one for half that price, or even for as little as 200 baht a month. If you are at home doing most of your calling you'd really use very little of your monthly GB as you'd utilize your wifi from your home service.

I recently did just that. Went to Central Festival in Chonburi and changed to their cheapest package (after realizing the 799 baht MaoMao was WAY more than I needed). I can now walk up to a machine that looks just like an ATM and up my monthly balance. No lines, no waiting, in Thai AND English.

MaoMao 199 = 199 Baht/month for 900 MB ("promotional" 3 x the normal 300 MB). *777*984# to activate

MaoMao 399 = 399 Baht/month for 4.5 GB ("promotional" 3 x the normal 1.5 GB). Includes unlimited AIS WiFi. *777*985# to activate

Dunno how to deactivate a plan. Good luck.

Why would anyone waste their time and effort going to Telewiz or an AIS store when it can be done at home and on your phone.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-postpaid/package-detail.aspx?language=en&package_id=8

Fair enough, but you posted a link to postpaid AIS services.

OP mentions Mao Mao, so he's more likely on a prepaid 12Call sim

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

OP, what size of plan & price range are you after? I deal with 12Call prepaid packages a lot, can make some suggestions

As someone posted further up - call 1175 to cancel your existing plan first (good english operators). They can also advise you on available new plans, or if you find one you want on the 12Call website, simply top up enough credit for the plan price + VAT, then enter the code.

The best way to sign up for/do any changing of plans on AIS is to go into one of their stores and do it face-to-face. I know that seems ridiculous in this digital age, and it used to be really easy to sign up for/cancel plans just by using a code on your phone, but no more...do it in person. Sometimes by doing that you'll even find out about a better deal you didn't know about on your own.

Agree. I went in to one of their offices when I happened to be nearby anyway. Explained my situation and the rep showed me a leaflet with several options, pointed out what would probably be best for me and made the change on the spot.

Probably not worth a special trip just for that, but you're bound to be in a mall where they have an office anyway at some point and, for me at least, seeing what's available and being able to easily compare the options seemed easier. Maybe if you are already are certain which plan you want it wouldn't matter, but sometimes the devil is in the details ... and it does seem the available plans change fairly often.