Used Cars - Where to buy ?

Andyjohn1234

There are the used car "tents" all up and down Sukhumvit. A couple of the bigger ones are next to the Macro in Jomtien and just down from the Cheverolet dealer near North Pattaya road. The other big source for used vehicles are the poster boards at Foodland, Friendship, and Big C Extra markets. (A secret at Foodland) is to ask at the service desk just inside the store to see the "box" for all that ads that haven't been posted yet...then you'll see what hasn't been posted yet.)

The best and cheapest place in all of Thailand for secondhand is in Bangkok, use this.... www.taladrod.com Forget about buying anything from the tents in Pattaya, major rip off!

Edited by LennyW

I recommend buying new, the used car market is still overpriced and new car dealers have excess stock and want your business. If you insist on second hand (maybe have to finance), I recommend Mike's Auto on Sukumwit opposite Makro. I do not trust and cannot recommend the tent directly in front of Makro.

I recommend buying new, the used car market is still overpriced and new car dealers have excess stock and want your business. If you insist on second hand (maybe have to finance), I recommend Mike's Auto on Sukumwit opposite Makro. I do not trust and cannot recommend the tent directly in front of Makro.

I concur, I bought two cars from Mike, a Jazz then a Dmax, both gave me trouble-free motoring.

There are the used car "tents" all up and down Sukhumvit. A couple of the bigger ones are next to the Macro in Jomtien and just down from the Cheverolet dealer near North Pattaya road. The other big source for used vehicles are the poster boards at Foodland, Friendship, and Big C Extra markets. (A secret at Foodland) is to ask at the service desk just inside the store to see the "box" for all that ads that haven't been posted yet...then you'll see what hasn't been posted yet.)

OMGIminPattaya is right on target. There are lots of places up and down Sukhumvit, and the cars/trucks on the lots are way overpriced! If I were you, I would take a look at the poster boards, as OMGIminPattaya mentioned. One more piece of advice: buy from a farang, preferably one who is "going home" and needs to sell his car/truck. Why? Because farangs are, in general, more prone than Thais to do the proper maintenance on their cars/trucks, and you will likely get a much better deal buying from a farang. Good luck!

Some Toyota dealerships offer 2nd hand cars/trucks under what they call Toyota Sure. If I understand correctly it means the used cars they sell have been checked out by their mechanics and come with some kind of warranty. The nearest one to Pattaya I am aware of is around Chonburi I think.

If it would give you additional peace of mind you could also consider looking online for a paint thickness gauge (sometimes called a DFT gauge). They're not so expensive (ballpark U$100 up) and you can use it to give you an idea as to whether the vehicle may have been involved in any accidents. As you inspect the exterior of the car you also take readings of the paint thickness and any areas where the paint is either unusually thick or unusually thin could be the result of an accident and subsequent repair job - perhaps worthy of further inspection. It can be a useful negotiating tool with the salesperson who's telling you the car has never been involved in any accident...

Used cars ..Why to buy ?

Often the same price as a new one ;

No garantee or sometimes a ridiculous three months one and only in the garage which sell the car...

If you drive often on thai roads you can see some strange vehicles which are moving like a crab ;

You cannot know anything about the real kilometrage; anything about accident(s) or not before....

Oh no, never buy a second hand car or truck in Thailand ...