Do I have to spend 2 days in BKK to be able to get married?

I want to marry my Thai partner of 6 years and I know that will involve a trip to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, but I've read that you need to allow two days to complete all the formalities. Anyone done it?

You could probably manage 1 day in Bangkok for the initial paperwork - get your Statutory Declaration from your embassy, get it translated and stamped at MFA. Depends how quick your embassy is I guess, UK for me was about an hour. Then you can get married wherever you like.

It depends on the time it takes for the statuary delectation. If you get it first thing in the morning then go to get the official certified translation at the MOF then to Lak-Si Amphur and back to the MOF for certified translations. One day is enough. However the marriage takes more than the 15 mins suggested, it's more like an hour.

Congrats with the marriage - we did it last year (not the Aus Embassy) and the procedure is:

1. Docs from Aus Embassy need Thai translation

2. Docs need legalization fra Thai Foreign Ministry

3. Marriage

4. Marriage-docs need English translation

5. Marriage-docs need stamp from both Thai Foreign Ministry + Aus Embassy

I would def set 2 days off to do it as you have to meet very early at Thai Foreign Ministry as they only take the first 100 same day.

This is how I remember it but PM me if you are in doubt as the info on the internet - also TV - are quite useless (Rules change all the time)

Best of luck

Edited by Johnny S

I don't know how much time you need for the Australian embassy (I'm European), but you don't need to waste your time at the MFA. Simply connect with the local Amphur office and let them handle the paperwork, once you have the embassy docs.

That will save you a lot of time and possibly even money at the end. Just to give you an example, me and my wife was turned down by the MFA since the didn't recognize the signature of the person from our embassy! Not worth the hassle.

Hi Giddyup,

Congratulations. My wife and I (both Brits), married in Chiang Mai 13 years ago but were misled by the British Consulate into thinking we didn't need to go to Bangkok... Two days before the show, we found that we did! But when we went to get our documents translated, the lad in the translation shop said he'd go for us - it cost about the same as two people's train fares to Bangkok so we snapped up the offer. It meant the the Amphoe part - as romantic as getting your car taxed, as others have observed - was delayed a few days but it just means that we've got two wedding anniversaries, 543 years and 8 days apart.

Good luck.

I don't know how much time you need for the Australian embassy (I'm European), but you don't need to waste your time at the MFA. Simply connect with the local Amphur office and let them handle the paperwork, once you have the embassy docs.

That will save you a lot of time and possibly even money at the end. Just to give you an example, me and my wife was turned down by the MFA since the didn't recognize the signature of the person from our embassy! Not worth the hassle.

So, are you saying I only need to visit the Australian Embassy, then bring the paperwork back to my local Amphur office in Pattaya and they can handle everything else? I don't want to get back from BKK and the Amphur office tells me that I need to go back and see the MFA.

same 4 hrs used company, embassy, back to office they translated documents then to gov office sign two bits of paper done.

How much did the company charge?

mate i don't know as my missus paid but i doubt you'd get change out of a couple of hundred dollars

After you leave the Embassy go to the corner with the Shell gas station and turn left

On the right side about 100 meters down is a company that do the translation and for another 2000 hath will take all the papers to the MFA for you then send copies to you with EMS

I hate Bkk and this was so easy to do

done this two month ago go to the australian embassy bangkok web site look for the married in thailand site and follow that you can even down load the statutory decaration form if been married before have to take papers to , had my translation done in pattaya in soi lankie about six shops up on the left from family mart other corner 7/11, 340 bt a page get your passport main page done to will take over night then you can go to the thai consural when you have all this done then you can go to the amphoe

After you leave the Embassy go to the corner with the Shell gas station and turn left

On the right side about 100 meters down is a company that do the translation and for another 2000 hath will take all the papers to the MFA for you then send copies to you with EMS

I hate Bkk and this was so easy to do

That sounds easy enough, thanks.

same 4 hrs used company, embassy, back to office they translated documents then to gov office sign two bits of paper done.

How much did the company charge?

mate i don't know as my missus paid but i doubt you'd get change out of a couple of hundred dollars

Don't know how long ago you got married, but a quick Google search sees companies charging around 30,000 baht, or nearly $1200 in Aussie money. That's way more than the $200 you estimated.

mate i asked missus and she said 20000 bht,i'll find name of company

I thought it would have been a lot more than $200. I think we'll take a bus trip up this week, I figure if I go to the Aussie embassy, take the paperwork around the corner and pay them the 2000 plus the translation fee, it will still cost me less than 5000 baht.

Just a personal story, so forgive me.

The last time I got married I showed up with my golf clubs in the back seat of the car.

My intended said..."Why are your golf clubs in the car?"

I responded with..."This isn't going to take all day, is it?"

As said, after getting your 'Permission to Marry' letter from the embassy just give it to any decent translation shop and they will translate, get the documents legalised and post to you by EMS for around 3,000 baht. If you take your documents to Lak Si yourself you may not always get them back same day unless you pay for express service. As UK embassy was as usual chock a block with people needing consular services by 8:30am, I had to pick up my docs after lunch; translator told me my translation would not be ready in time to get there same day let alone collect. By my reckoning the cost of an extra night in the hotel, train and taxi fares for me and the wife and meals would have cost me as much anyway - and i hate big cities. Also you don't want to be stuck on a friday waiting at Lak Si - any problems and a weekend wasted ...

Translation shoud not be more than 400 baht. Express service at the Consular department is 800 baht and you have to be there before noon or even 11. Regular service is 400 baht and for an additional 65 baht the Consular Department will send it to your home by EMS within 1 week.

You can even mail documents to the consular department, but the procedure is outlined in Thai only on their website.

3000 baht seems a bit pricy.

Translation shoud not be more than 400 baht. Express service at the Consular department is 800 baht and you have to be there before noon or even 11. Regular service is 400 baht and for an additional 65 baht the Consular Department will send it to your home by EMS within 1 week.

You can even mail documents to the consular department, but the procedure is outlined in Thai only on their website.

3000 baht seems a bit pricy.

And the 30,000 baht the agencies charge is even pricier! However, if I can shortcut the whole procedure by getting the company who translates the documents to also visit the Consular Dept. and in turn have it EMS'd to me, I don't mind. It might save me having to spend a night in BKK, which would add at least another 2000 baht to the bill.