Modem as opposed to Router/Modem

ESCAPIS

I have searched high and low for a modem only, within Thailand, with no luck.

All the major Internet Provider supply a Router/Wifi+Modem i one box.

My question is: is it possible to configure the iP provider gadget into a modem only and leave the router business to my Apple Extreme Time Capsule?

The problem arise from double NAT warning that I get when I enable NAT on the Apple Router and the only way to kill it, is to configure the Apple Router as bridge only.

Can anyone help?

ADSL2+ Modem-only devices are rare. But it should be easy to find an ADSL2+ Modem/Router where the Router can be put into Bridge Mode.

But, as Fritzzz25 wrote, you should be able to take the current ISP supplied device,disable its WiFi, and put it into Bridge Mode. The web setup login credentials (name/pass) should have been supplied on the subscription setup sheet, otherwise just call up the ISP and ask.

Visit your local TOT shop at the mall. They stock both ADSL and fibre modems (not modem+router). Although they might be TOT branded, they will work fine with other ISPs (at least in my experience they do).

• 1 month later...

When i installed my Time capsule , apple Singapore wanted to leave my original router in the loop, I told them this would slow it all down they agreed but could not give me a solution, I then got my local TOT man to visit in his time off and we configured it all including the airpot express linked by cat 7 lan cable so now have just one net work covering almost 400 Mts

Apple Singapore wanter me to have two networks

My conclusion is Apple Singapore on Time capsule is not properly trained

I should also not have bought apple time capsules because they are not only more expensive, there is little support from Apple on them and they can not be enveloped in an overall VPN shroud

I love the new mac book but in Thailand/Singapore Apple support is a disaster, so do not buy unless you feel competent enough to do it yourself

Archived