I am never wrong driver.

wow64

Driving home last night in the evening rush on Narathiwas Road/Sathorn intersection BKK had a driver in a BMW Z4 consistently driving/merging into my lane. Not sure where he was trying to go.. no indicator just trying to push his way into my lane, I was a bit further ahead then him. He was that close that eventually his mirror got taken off by some part of my car as he went past, I was stationary and in my lane. (I drive a Ford Ranger).

His g/f/gig/Wife then wound down her window and gave us a Thai soup evil star my wife gave her the finger. We were at a red light by this stage and the driver has gotten saying in thai and english " look what you did to my car " and he picked up his rear view mirror "you must be for this'. I told him to f/off and pointed to my dash cam. He then got back in his car.

What the hell? do people just not know how to drive or are they important if in a BMW? I don't get how that was my fault.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More proof (if needed) that the new Ranger is an awesome deterrent to the pushy, 'me first' flash bastard. Last year I was in slow-moving traffic in the left lane on Pattaya Beach road when a Merc decided he would 'push' his way into my lane. Eventually his passenger side wing mirror slipped inside my rear wheel arch where it was snapped off and went spinning across the pavement. Sitting in traffic, the driver got out, picked up the broken mirror and walked up to my window to show me what I had done. I said, "No thanks mate, I already have a couple and I USE THEM."

More proof (if needed) that the new Ranger is an awesome deterrent to the pushy, 'me first' flash bastard. Last year I was in slow-moving traffic in the left lane on Pattaya Beach road when a Merc decided he would 'push' his way into my lane. Eventually his passenger side wing mirror slipped inside my rear wheel arch where it was snapped off and went spinning across the pavement. Sitting in traffic, the driver got out, picked up the broken mirror and walked up to my window to show me what I had done. I said, "No thanks mate, I already have a couple and I USE THEM."

Not working as a deterrent looking at both examples given here.

don't understand the story---merging etc....why not put up the vid?

why didn't you give way?

I was already in the lane, the other driver was trying to merge into my lane, my car was ahead of his.. I didnt have to give way.

Sent from my c64

Don't you understand by now, they have a god given right to pass you on the left, make a new lane at a U-turn, pull out in front of you without looking and of course weave in and out of traffic to gain a fraction of a second to the next stop

It's called Thainess , and the government even supports it

why didn't you give way?

I was already in the lane, the other driver was trying to merge into my lane, my car was ahead of his.. I didnt have to give way.

Sent from my c64

No, maybe you didn't have to give way. But why not give way when it doesn't do any harm and can prevent problems.

why didn't you give way?

Sent from my c64

No, maybe you didn't have to give way. But why not give way when it doesn't do any harm and can prevent problems.
I was stationary in my lane when he hit my car... So not much I could do. I was in the middle lane which goes straight he was in the far right lane which has to turn right and was trying to merge into my lane with no indicators into my stationary car.

Hope this clears it up for you:)

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Don't you understand by now, they have a god given right to pass you on the left, make a new lane at a U-turn, pull out in front of you without looking and of course weave in and out of traffic to gain a fraction of a second to the next stop

It's called Thainess , and the government even supports it

Yes I am starting to see it... Its taken me a bit longer then others but I think I see it now :(

Not all thai have thainess... But when in a car many discover it I'm seeing.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

why didn't you give way?

Sent from my c64

I too have a Ranger, with no bodywork damage, as I'm happy to avoid it, even if it means I lose 5m of valuable road space... Still not been late to any appointment :)

why didn't you give way?

Sent from my c64

I too have a Ranger, with no bodywork damage, as I'm happy to avoid it, even if it means I lose 5m of valuable road space... Still not been late to any appointment :)
Ahh a fellow Ranger driver... I have the Wildtrak. You have a good taste in car ;)

I give way to cars and let people in.. Dont want to dint my car.. I dont usually drive it in BKK especially in the busy times. On this occasion I just dont know where I was meant to go...and really it was not my fault.. what would you have done if stationary in this situation.

Just dont like the guys attitude that it was my fault and I have to pay for his damage for what "I did"... Really I think he was saving face to the girl in the car as he yelled then went back pretty quick. He showed me.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Until the police begin to enforce moving violations, drivers will continue to drive as they please. I am even shocked at my own driving habits here and I have to very careful if I drive back in Canada that I don't slip into Thai driving mode.

Add to that, the belief that the value of your car somehow determines right of way in this country and all of the entitlement crap and face issues. The best you can do is just keep your head on a swivel and drive defensively.

why didn't you give way?

Probably because the behavior of the other driver was to pushy for the op or because the bimmer too expensive. It is annoying to stand in a traffic jam looking at some <deleted> car, five times the price of the own car wink.png - isn't it?

Well that is the way they driving here, if you want to change lanes in a traffic jam here and you make it the same as in civilized country like:

look in your mirrors

turn on your signal

wait for a kind soul to open a gap for you

you stand there for hours.

Here it must come as a surprisetongue.png .

If they see your indicator it immediately triggers the "thai close gap behavior". You can turn on your indicator when you half way in the gap.

We don't change that and we not come here to teach road etiquette. When in Rome etc. etc.

On a side note I don`t find BMW, Mercedes or Fortuner etc. the most pushy drivers in Bangkok. By far the most pushy are the bus drivers, followed by truck drivers ! But you would not want to challenge a maniac who sits all day long on a 35 years old bus, would you? He would rip you Ranger apart and not even look backcheesy.gif

Never mind, I answered mainly because of this:

"His g/f/gig/Wife then wound down her window and gave us a Thai soup evil star my wife gave her the finger"

Is your wife also a foreigner? The finger sign can get you in serious trouble in Thailand, people have been killed for it. I would strongly recommend not to use it.

"My car was ahead of his, I didn't have to give way" - you remind me of my Aunt - the worst driver in the world - she'd say/think "I'm in the correct lane, I'm less than the speed limit, therefore I don't have to budge for anyone"

part of driving is to se the whole situation...........the other driver may have had a compelling reason to change lanes - other traffic, getting to hospital whatever.....or he may have just been bloody-minded, either way I can't see what makes other motorists decide to dig their heels in such an obtuse way; it inevitably raises the stakes and oner or both drivers end up the worse for wear............

you sound by your description of the situation to be a very aggressive person and you allowed your temper to take control.......however bad the other driver was, i think you should seriously be worried about your anger management skills and you ability to assess the overall situation on the road around you ( that fact that you think your vehicle model is significant says a lot too)........rather than just sticking blindly to a highway code that you may or may not have got right.

Edited by cumgranosalum

why didn't you give way?

Probably because the behavior of the other driver was to pushy for the op or because the bimmer too expensive. It is annoying to stand in a traffic jam looking at some <deleted> car, five times the price of the own car wink.png - isn't it?

Well that is the way they driving here, if you want to change lanes in a traffic jam here and you make it the same as in civilized country like:

look in your mirrors

turn on your signal

wait for a kind soul to open a gap for you

you stand there for hours.

Here it must come as a surprisetongue.png .

If they see your indicator it immediately triggers the "thai close gap behavior". You can turn on your indicator when you half way in the gap.

We don't change that and we not come here to teach road etiquette. When in Rome etc. etc.

On a side note I don`t find BMW, Mercedes or Fortuner etc. the most pushy drivers in Bangkok. By far the most pushy are the bus drivers, followed by truck drivers ! But you would not want to challenge a maniac who sits all day long on a 35 years old bus, would you? He would rip you Ranger apart and not even look backcheesy.gif

Never mind, I answered mainly because of this:

"His g/f/gig/Wife then wound down her window and gave us a Thai soup evil star my wife gave her the finger"

Is your wife also a foreigner? The finger sign can get you in serious trouble in Thailand, people have been killed for it. I would strongly recommend not to use it.

Yes I know the finger is a big no no... I get told off when ever I do it... Which is not much anymore.. Misses is thai maybe my giving the finger has rubbed off on her... She seemed very cranky at the way the lady looked at us I think.. I really didnt care.. It was just an evil stare with a bit of a chin thrust.

Sent from my c64

I drive here in BKK everyday mate and I understand how you feel.

I don't mind the van and taxi drivers because although road space hungry, they do give the courtesy of giving way when it's needed.

The Mercedes drivers I find are mostly quite okay as with most others but, the BMW drivers are the worst in my opinion.

If I could wipe off more than a mirror on some of their cars without great repercussions, I'd happily do it.

"My car was ahead of his, I didn't have to give way" - you mind me of my Aunt - the worst driver in the world - she'd say/think "I'm in the correct lane, I'm less than the speed limit, therefore I don't have to budge for anyone"

part of driving is to se the whole situation...........the other driver may have had a compelling reason to change lanes - other traffic, getting to hospital whatever.....or he may have just been bloody-minded, either way I can't see what makes other motorists decide to dig their heels in such an obtuse way; it inevitably raises the stakes and oner or both drivers end up the worse for wear............

you sound by your description of the situation to be a very aggressive person and you allowed your temper to take control.......however bad the other driver was, i think you should seriously be worried about your anger management skills and you ability to assess the overall situation on the road around you ( that fact that you think your vehicle model is significant says a lot too)........rather than just sticking blindly to a highway code that you may or may not have got right.

I guess you missed the one word that made answered every question a person might have asked....BMW.

"My car was ahead of his, I didn't have to give way" - you mind me of my Aunt - the worst driver in the world - she'd say/think "I'm in the correct lane, I'm less than the speed limit, therefore I don't have to budge for anyone"

Ok I am wrong... Next time I will...ummm, pick my car up and carry it to the sidewalk and count to 10.

Do you have a copy of this highway code? I would like to read it.

The vehicle model I stated as its not small car which he cannot see.. Nothing more nothing less... And his mirror got caught in my wheel or wheel arche.

Sent from my c64

I drive here in BKK everyday mate and I understand how you feel.

I don't mind the van and taxi drivers because although road space hungry, they do give the courtesy of giving way when it's needed.

The Mercedes drivers I find are mostly quite okay as with most others but, the BMW drivers are the worst in my opinion.

If I could wipe off more than a mirror on some of their cars without great repercussions, I'd happily do it.

Mate I cant do it... Have a bike for commuting. Takes too much time in the traffic... I just take my car when I am leaving bkk or when its not busy (whens that?). Had the day off when this happened and was returning to BKK landed right in peak hour.

Sent from my c64

Ok I am wrong... Next time I will...ummm, pick my car up and carry it to the sidewalk and count to 10.

The vehicle model I stated as its not small car which he cannot see.. Nothing more nothing less... And his mirror got caught in my wheel or wheel arche.

Sent from my c64

QED.

"Do you have a copy of this highway code? I would like to read it." - you are the one quoting right of way......and now you admit you haven't read that anywhere?

BTW - which side of you was he on? Left or right?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Sent from my c64

QED.

"Do you have a copy of this highway code? I would like to read it." - you are the one quoting right of way......and now you admit you haven't read that anywhere?

Already said... He was on my right in a right hand turn only lane trying to come into the middle lane which I had clear view of and was in..but could not do anything about as I was stationary and so were cars in front and behind. He went forward and took his mirror off.

Ps I am not from the UK.. No need to read the highway code if thats what you are referring too. Didnt say I havnt read it anywhere... You said highway code... Though it was a special code highway users live and die by.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

I drive a BMW and I choose tis car because of the luxury inside, perfect seats good safety. And no it doesn't give me an attitude. Many cars every day force their car in my lane but after all these years in Thailand I swallow my anger and let them in. Not worth a fight. In my opinion nothing to do with BMW drivers very childish..

Sent from my c64

QED.

Already said... He was on my right in a right hand turn only lane trying to come into the middle lane which I had clear view of and was in..but could not do anything about as I was stationary and so were cars in front and behind. He went forward and took his mirror off.

Ps I am not from the UK.. No need to read the highway code if thats what you are referring too. Didnt say I havnt read it anywhere... You said highway code... Though it was a special code highway users live and die by.

Sent from my c64

" No need to read the highway code" - you seem unaware that there is a Thai highway code with and English translation - again you are the one who stated you had right of way - one has to assume you are under the impression you know Thai motoring laws/codes?

Sent from my c64

QED.

Sent from my c64

" No need to read the highway code" - you seem unaware that there is a Thai highway code with and English translation - again you are the one who stated you had right of way - one has to assume you are under the impression you know Thai motoring laws/codes?

I have read the "Land Transportation Act".

Had the same thing at my sons school yesterday. Merc ML 350 on red plates assumed merging fairly doesn't apply to him. I stood my ground and missed him by an inch. He was behind me a but kept pushing. They do this as the majority of people see an expensive car as sign the driver is rich and so has power and so can cause you problems easily and they usually get their way. Next time i will pop my dash cam off, roll down the window and video whats going on. Its usually enough for them to back off. Its unfortunate that the whole country seems to revolve around the vip mentality. Does my head in. Maybe next time he will be smarter and get a police escort to guide him through the trauma of having to line up with the rest of us to pick up theur brats at school. Obviously not that rich they couldnt afford a driver to do this chore for them! Probably had a 4 mill? Baht car on finance, a 2mill baht home and their kids in a 100k a year school....

Sent from my c64

QED.

Sent from my c64

I have read the "Land Transportation Act".

no such thing in Thailand.

I used to have much less problems when I was driving my son in law's rusty and battered truck, now that gets you respect, as in 'this guy has crunched his car before and doesn't care if it happens again'.

There are certain makes of car that seem to cause their drivers to be particularly objectionable. Up here in Isaan, any car with a Bangkok number can be assumed to be a selfish so and so to be avoided, although they do realise that being held up by an accident 400Km from home isn't a good idea though. Usually.

To my mind this Op sums up just about everything that is wrong about Foreign drivers in Thailand....they are arrogant and aggressive and fail to understand that the "rules" they drove by at home are not necessarily applicable here. They also seem to think that every time they have an "incident" of any kind it is the fault of THAI people's "thainess" and present it as if this could only happen in Thailand....this is of course nonsense - Thailand has no more loony drivers than any other country.

what the foreign motorists fail to appreciate is that a good driver adapts to to the environment they are in - whatever the country - and doesn't try to impose their own preconceptions of what is or isn't a good driver. They are in reAlity driving with a bundle of psychological baggage from their home country where doubtless they were a "superb" driver.

try this assessment for size....

Firstly there is perception - “Thai roads are dangerous and all Thai drivers are reckless morons”.

Just take a moment to consider how people who say things like this see themselves and other road users. Indeed can they be aware of, or appreciate the existence of, even half of the other road users they are co-existing with?

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

How people form their opinions on driving can often be quite tenuous. Yet they then talk as if they are authorities on the subject - Why? - If they go to a hospital or clinic and a man in a white coat tells them to do something, they will do it unquestioningly - even if it’s quite personal...but when it comes to driving (like teaching) everyone’s an expert...and better than all other road users to boot.

Foreigners who drive in Thailand frequently turn on the vitriol when it comes to talking about their fellow roads users...automatically excluding themselves from the equation and concomitantly implying that their driving skills are far superior to those of any Thai people.

In Thailand, foreigners who DON’T drive seem to be even more vociferous.

If we are to believe the non- Thais posting on forums like this then we have to conclude that everyone is better than the average driver! Which obviously cannot be the case...

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

For example these were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003)

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do

(King and Parker, 2008)

Not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

· I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

· Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

· Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves.

· Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

· The third-person effect (Davison, 1983).

· High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education

· But not for themselves - for other people.

So - it is quite clear that the OP considers himself blameless in this, but in the end it takes TWO to tango.

Edited by cumgranosalum