Australian livestock killed with sledgehammers in Vietnam

webfact

NeverSure is right. Probably one of the very few on TV that knows this subject. Look, if you don't like it, think animals are human, etc. then don't eat them or use any of their by products. Worse elk I ever ate was one wounded the day before we had to track down. Stressed, the adrenaline level was high and the meat was inedible. Don't ever think the 'ol sledge isn't still used in the good 'ol US of A. .22 prefered for hogs, sheep, goats etc. for hogs, sheep, goats etc. My grandfather used a S&W .32-20.

NeverSure is right. Probably one of the very few on TV that knows this subject. Look, if you don't like it, think animals are human, etc. then don't eat them or use any of their by products. Worse elk I ever ate was one wounded the day before we had to track down. Stressed, the adrenaline level was high and the meat was inedible. Don't ever think the 'ol sledge isn't still used in the good 'ol US of A. .22 prefered for hogs, sheep, goats etc. for hogs, sheep, goats etc. My grandfather used a S&W .32-20.

Yes. If we killed a distressed animal it got processed into ground meat, portioned and frozen for dog food. I remember hearing a large caliber rifle shot off in the woods one day while I was checking BLM (government) land for strays. It was deer season. Perhaps a couple of minutes later I heard crashing in the brush and then this deer ran out into the opening I was in. It had a broken leg which was swinging.

I had no choice but to pull my rifle and shoot it as it was running. That was the end of my deer season as we got just one tag each per year. There was no way I wanted to shoot it but if I didn't I'd never forgive myself. That nice mule deer went to dog food as we had cattle dogs and no way was anyone else going to eat it. FWIW I was probably all of 14 years old at the most.

Very interesting. Didn't know that adrenaline levels would have such large effect on meat taste. Perhaps feeding the livestock with Prozac and Xanax (along with the usual antibiotics) in the weeks leading up to their execution would provide better tasting meat. After all, antidepressants are bulk fed to domestic animals in the US - come to thin of it they'd probably taste pretty good too.

Rather than get all worked up about how horribly inhumane it is, take up a collection and buy the b*stards some pneumatic retractable bolt guns. Problem solved. Provide them free and maybe Vietnam will vote with Australia at the UN. Nah, moral outrage is far less costly and it feels better too.

What's been happening is the Supply Chain agreements, that incorporated humane treatment of animals, were broken by some of the contracted Vietnamese abattoirs who supplied livestock to small unregulated slaughterhouses where killing by sledgehammers was filmed. So far three of the contracted Vietnamese organisations have had their supply agreements cancelled by the Australians for breach of contract T&Cs.

Dead is dead...unless you're a vegan shut up about it!

Stupid is stupid.

I am sure you would rather be slaughtered quickly as opposed to be slowly and crudely hammered to death.

Internet forums are for discussing stuff, why shut up?

Dead is dead...unless you're a vegan shut up about it!

Stupid is stupid.

I am sure you would rather be slaughtered quickly as opposed to be slowly and crudely hammered to death.

Internet forums are for discussing stuff, why shut up?

Animals don't have a sense of self...only humans (and to some extent chimps, gorillas, and orangutans) have it. Therefore, they don't know they're about to die and have no sense of "death" and what it means in the first place. Therefore, they have no fear or dread of it...the mental aspect of dying that cause the most distress to humans. Animals basically just react to pain...once the beast has been bashed in the head, it's likely it's not feeling much pain after that point.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya