reminder about unexpected dangers of Pattaya’s traffic

Asiantravel

Yup, driving the wrong way on the one way is the norm for the motor bike mafia....they could care less about humans.....IMHO.

I've been hit three times in my ten plus years here in Pattaya and count myself lucky to still be alive....it's only a matter of time before I get hit for six....?. Just hope I'm not too badly hurt so I can whip the shit out of whomever does the deed on me....revenge is best served cold in most cases....time will tell.....rock on!! ??

No sympathy for anyone who chooses to live somewhere where getting hit 3 times in 10 years and says is lucky to be alive. Is Pattaya really that good ( rhetorical ).

i live by the rama4 -sukhumvit junction, i never ever cross on the crossing as , if i did have a death wish, i would use it, no-one ever stops here for pedestrians, i walk 50 metres down the road, cross to the central reservation, and then run like f*k, across the other half of the road, (only to have a near miss by a scooter rider riding up the pavement) just can't win

Yes hadn't been to Bangkok for quite a while until recently and I noticed many more people using the sidewalk to ride their motorcycles. That's another unpleasant experience. As you walk along minding your own business and an aggressive rider comes fast behind you.

Wasn't like that 10 years ago

Edited by Asiantravel

Just look left and right and repeat while you walk slowly and then run if you see any openings. You just have to adjust , sometimes you will learn the hard way if you survive that is.

i live by the rama4 -sukhumvit junction, i never ever cross on the crossing as , if i did have a death wish, i would use it, no-one ever stops here for pedestrians, i walk 50 metres down the road, cross to the central reservation, and then run like f*k, across the other half of the road, (only to have a near miss by a scooter rider riding up the pavement) just can't win

We might live in the same condo! I usually use the footbridge, but I've found crossing at the crossing works best if you stick to the crossing, rather than walking up the central reservation, and eyeball the drivers turning left with your hands held out in a "stop" sign. These might be famous last words...

I dutifully ride my motorbike in the left lane on the Suk like a good girl. Which works fine until I'm coming down the road at speed and someone turns out of a soi to go the wrong way. And then he looks at me like I should move over to get out of his way! We're not talking about a little soi or even Second Road. This is the Talladega Speedway of Pattaya.

I'm starting to think I should move over a lane and just take my chances with getting a ticket. I'd rather pay a fine than get into a head on collision. Of course, then I'd have to worry more about being flattened by a double-decker tour bus. Luckily, I'm finding more and more ways around driving on the Suk each day. It might take me longer, but I've got a greater chance of survival.

Thais, expats, and tourists realize the importance of the police-force in any city, including Pattaya....and we all appreciate the Pattaya police department's concern to stop the motorbikes to see if the drivers have proper documents;however, it is common in any city to also have assigned "foot patrols" commonly known as "beats" - (policemen walking in assigned areas of a city) in order to improve awareness of their presence.

Wouldn't it be a positive addition to the Beach Prominade, 2nd Road, and other areas where there are many pedistrians to have the Pattaya police walking in certain areas of the city? It has been proven in cities around the world that walking policeman in the area plus surveillance cameras, (which the city of Pattaya has already) is a great deterrent to those who choose to not follow city ordinances or want to do an act of crime. If the Pattaya police, (I am not referring to the police volunteers that walk around Walking Street at night time only), carried out foot patrols, it would establish positive relationship between the police department and the local Thais and local "farangs; the police would get to know the local residents and businesses and get familiar with the local concerns of the area. Motorbikes buzzing on the new Beach Road prominade during the day or the katoeys that hang around South Beach Road after midnight to rob some naive tourist could be eliminated by foot patrols.

Just a reminder to people it’s better to look right and left everywhere in this place.

When I moved to Thailand I was advised to look in all directions when crossing the road:

Right, Left, Back, Front, AND UP!!!

You forgot the importance of also looking DOWN.

I was trying to cross a busy one way street in Pattaya. Finally there was a gap in the traffic. I started to move and burned my shin on the exhaust of a motorbike a farang had just manoeuvred out of a parking space into my path.

Thais, expats, and tourists realize the importance of the police-force in any city, including Pattaya....and we all appreciate the Pattaya police department's concern to stop the motorbikes to see if the drivers have proper documents;however, it is common in any city to also have assigned "foot patrols" commonly known as "beats" - (policemen walking in assigned areas of a city) in order to improve awareness of their presence.

Wouldn't it be a positive addition to the Beach Prominade, 2nd Road, and other areas where there are many pedistrians to have the Pattaya police walking in certain areas of the city? It has been proven in cities around the world that walking policeman in the area plus surveillance cameras, (which the city of Pattaya has already) is a great deterrent to those who choose to not follow city ordinances or want to do an act of crime. If the Pattaya police, (I am not referring to the police volunteers that walk around Walking Street at night time only), carried out foot patrols, it would establish positive relationship between the police department and the local Thais and local "farangs; the police would get to know the local residents and businesses and get familiar with the local concerns of the area. Motorbikes buzzing on the new Beach Road prominade during the day or the katoeys that hang around South Beach Road after midnight to rob some naive tourist could be eliminated by foot patrols.

Some great ideas, toenail, but as likely to happen as me flying to the moon. I'm sure many others have actually seen police driving motorbikes on the pavements without a helmet and the notion that they would walk a beat is a fantasy.