Eyeglasses, where can I find a good deal

BarnicaleBob

My eyeglasses are starting to fill up with small scratches which is sometime very annoying when I'm trying to see things. My prescription is good and up to date, all I really need is to order a new pair of glasses. I checked the eye glass place at Big C extra on highway 11 and they wanted 20,000 baht. I would like to find something less expensive, does anyone know where I can find a good deal? PS, I have Varilux lenses now and would like for my new lenses to be of the same type.

This has been beaten to death, and I don't want to start another debate about the dangers of buying from a reputable online seller. Many of us here have used www.zennioptical.com, had them shipped here for 10 usd, and saved a bundle. I believe the anti-scratch coating is free. My day ones are 4 yo, and don't have a scratch on them....they were 6.95 usd. Doing things the harder, more expensive way, is a symptom of TVF. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But they only cost about 3k for thin progressive lens and new frames from Zenni. Have bought 3 or 4 sets over last decade from them and very happy with them.

Maybe but I want frames that I can try on first.

If you take measurements of what fit you now and use that as a basis suspect you will be just as likely to find a good fit as a two minute try-on under pressure to buy better - better - best being sent by the commission lady. All frames on site have full measurements available - at store it is hit or miss in what is a stress factory IMHO. To me the take my time and view at leisure is an advantage - but understand some need to hold things so probably not for them.

If you take measurements of what fit you now and use that as a basis suspect you will be just as likely to find a good fit as a two minute try-on under pressure to buy better - better - best being sent by the commission lady. All frames on site have full measurements available - at store it is hit or miss in what is a stress factory IMHO. To me the take my time and view at leisure is an advantage - but understand some need to hold things so probably not for them.

Not sure what you mean, I never have never dealt with these people home or abroad.

I know what I want, I know where to go and I buy only what fits/suits well and is OK on my pocket.

Some also need to purchase the cheapest possible online, because of needs be.

Pressure is only that if you let it bother you and you are susceptible to suggestions from salespeople. I would never buy shoes online for example unless I had tried them before. Glasses? I don't really care because I'm not vain about how I look and never really bought glasses that I found bothersome. There's no doubt that I would personally be far more likely to find the perfect fit in person for whatever item I want to buy, it comes down to whether the perfect fit or the perfect price is more important. To each his own...

I do know people who have bought online and are perfectly happy with their purchase.

I also know people who have bits of tape all over the place because the nose bridge is too wide, they hurt behind the ear etc.

As said, each to his own.

Anyone prepared to answer the OP's question, as I think he would like to buy them in Chiang Mai.

Edited by uptheos

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. Here is more information:

Yes, I would like to purchase the eyeglasses in the Chiang Mai area so I can try them on, make sure they fit and make sure the lenses are correct before I except them.

I also don't mind spending 5,000 baht or more if I can get a good pair that fit me and that are the correct prescription.

With that in mind, anyone know of a good place, even if it is off the beaten path or someplace just outside the City?

But they only cost about 3k for thin progressive lens and new frames from Zenni. Have bought 3 or 4 sets over last decade from them and very happy with them.

Why?

Measure your old frames, order the same size from Zenni.

And once you find a frame you like, you can order the same again and again.

Zenni are great, totally satisfied and at less than half the price from a Thai optician.

If for any reason you don't like what they sent you, you can keep them and they will refund half your money.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Yes, I would like to purchase the eyeglasses in the Chiang Mai area so I can try them on, make sure they fit and make sure the lenses are correct before I except them.

I also don't mind spending 5,000 baht or more if I can get a good pair that fit me and that are the correct prescription.

With that in mind, anyone know of a good place, even if it is off the beaten path or someplace just outside the City?

You won't find anything below 8,000bht.

That's the price of those lens in Thailand.

Well 8.000 or even 10,000 baht is a lot better the the 20,000 baht one I found. Where can I find them for 8.000 or even 10,000 baht?

Well 8.000 or even 10,000 baht is a lot better the the 20,000 baht one I found. Where can I find them for 8.000 or even 10,000 baht?

Vision Center, up the road from SCB on MoonMuang.

RajWithi Road, or summit like that.

http://a.northernthailand.com/th/chiangmai-expat-and-residents-info/optometrists/481-vision-center.html

Edited by MaeJoMTB

+1

Couldn't imagine buying any other way. I usually try on - on average - 6-8 different frames before I find a pair I am comfortable with. Frames are very reasonably priced at the Vision Center.

+1

Couldn't imagine buying any other way. I usually try on - on average - 6-8 different frames before I find a pair I am comfortable with. Frames are very reasonably priced at the Vision Center.

I agree frames are well priced, but the lens are excessive.

The only reason you need to try on different glasses is because the frames are purchased by the suitcase load in China for pennies.

In a more consumer friendly environment, you could buy them by size and they would fit first time.

Zenni offer full dimensions on every frame they sell, so you can buy without trying on.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

+1

I agree frames are well priced, but the lens are excessive.

The only reason you need to try on different glasses is because the frames are purchased by the suitcase load in China for pennies.

In a more consumer friendly environment, you could buy them by size and they would fit first time.

Zenni offer full dimensions on every frame they sell, so you can buy without trying on.

The wife's uncle owns one of the oldest optical shops in Hat Yai. He travels to China 3 times per year with 3 empty, large suitcases and fills them up with frames that he pays on average 35 Yuan (200 THB) per pair for. He then turns around and sells them for at least 2500 THB per pair. So yes, there are big profits to be made. But they also sell real brand name frames, as does the Vision Center. Mine are made in Italy. I asked and they guaranteed me they are real. I trust the owner of the Vision Center. If he tells me they are authentic, I'll take his word for it. (I don't trust every business owner but I do trust him).

If you are happy with your current prescription they can read that from your lens.

I also like my glasses to fit.

If you opt for Hoya Lens 3500-4000 no more!

Hoya give you a wallet card with your prescription, so if you break them.......

If you are looking for "Varilux" lenses they will not be cheap !

http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/Varilux-Comfort-s/74.htm

Their most expensive lenses were 11,000 baht. I was quoted 23,000 at my local Thai optician.

The OP question was where can I buy cheaper? The answer is UK or almost any other country in the world EXCEPT Thailand.

My glasses ......... all using cheaper frames.

UK 2009, 250gbp (High Street optician) 12,500bht (average price frames)

Thailand 2011 (Top Chaeron) 4,500bht (no frames)

Thailand 2013 (Vision Express) 5,000bht (average price frames)

Thailand 2015 (Vision Express) 8,000bht (poor quality frames)

China/USA 2015 (Zenni) 3,750bht (highest quality frames)

All varifocal high index, nearly the same prescription.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Have you considered lasik surgery as a one-time solution?

I tried that and the twit saidhe could fix one eye to long and one for short.

I guess fixing both for short and correction for long is not a consideration.

I just looked at him in amazement.

Have you considered lasik surgery as a one-time solution?

I tried that and the twit saidhe could fix one eye to long and one for short.

I guess fixing both for short and correction for long is not a consideration.

I just looked at him in amazement.

Pal of mine had this done, several years back, recons it works a treat.