22 Thais arrested for deceiving, causing nuisances to foreign tourists

webfact

22 arrested for deceiving, causing nuisances to foreign tourists
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Twenty-two Thais have been arrested for causing nuisances to foreign tourist and luring them to be overcharged at jewellery shops and restaurants, Tourist Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Apichai Thi-amart said Thursday.

He said the group often intercepted tourists at the entrance to Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Pho and lied to them that the temples were closed and took them to venues where they were overcharged for goods and foods.

He said the group had damaged the country's reputation because the victims had posted messages on social media about their plights.

Apichai said the arrests were made after police sent undercover officers, who appear like foreign tourists, to the venues where the group's members were preying on tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/22-arrested-for-deceiving-causing-nuisances-to-for-30260618.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-21

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been going on for decades. I even reported the scammers to the reception at the Wat Pho but then they suddenly didn't speak any english.

It also has been shown on european documentary's in many country's.

One also wouldn't find a metre-taxi in those area's and i bet my hat that's still the same upon today.

"He said the group had damaged the country's reputation because the victims had posted messages on social media about their plights."

One of the oldest and best-known scams in Bangkok, suddenly a problem if authorities lose face. "Crackdown" Thai-style clap2.gif

This has to be one of the most pernicious of Thai scams. One would expect scams in the seedy nightlife venues, but to get scammed at one of Thailand's supposedly most virtuous temples is appalling. It's very telling of how Thais value reputation.

Over 20 years ago has been in various travel books warned of this Bangkok gem scams.
If you google "bangkok gem scams" you get around 3,9 Million hits.
Quite impressive.
I find it hard to applaud here, since 20 years this fraudsters do this scams.
Same people, same plot, same shops
And since over 20 years it is known to the authorities.

Unfortunately, the authorities do not realize what Image damage they have inflicted to their country, by their years of tolerating and passivity.
Looks like: Many honest foreigners are worth less than a few fraudulent nationals.

I believe a Western PR firm should be contracted to help with English language news releases, interviews and PR. Would pay for itself many times over.

"Sir, a news story that only mentions damaged national pride and not the harm to victims is distasteful, arrogant, and bizarre."

This has to be one of the most pernicious of Thai scams. One would expect scams in the seedy nightlife venues, but to get scammed at one of Thailand's supposedly most virtuous temples is appalling. It's very telling of how Thais value reputation.

I wonder what would happen if this was not posted in the CM

On the other hand nothing may happen to them anyway

Ok After reading this and also a few other things over the last few months.....my mind is made up.....PLEEZE KHUN PRAYUT.......PLEEZE STAY ON AS LONG AS YOU CAN AS PM OF THAILAND......this country, the locals and laos the foreigners need a person like you to run this country and make things better.....no other government or political party ever did anything good for this country except you and the NCPO. Please forget about elections and democracy....Thailand was and is not ready for democracy. We needed guided democracy under a governemnet like yours. Please stay on and carry on the good things that you are doing and also be even greater by getting rid of all the old and past politicans and political parties. Confisticate the properties and assets of all the past politicans and their big business conglomerates partners and put allof them in prison without any trials for running this country in a mess the last few decades. We love you Khun Prayuth and the army.

Ok After reading this and also a few other things over the last few months.....my mind is made up.....PLEEZE KHUN PRAYUT.......PLEEZE STAY ON AS LONG AS YOU CAN AS PM OF THAILAND......this country, the locals and laos the foreigners need a person like you to run this country and make things better.....no other government or political party ever did anything good for this country except you and the NCPO. Please forget about elections and democracy....Thailand was and is not ready for democracy. We needed guided democracy under a governemnet like yours. Please stay on and carry on the good things that you are doing and also be even greater by getting rid of all the old and past politicans and political parties. Confisticate the properties and assets of all the past politicans and their big business conglomerates partners and put allof them in prison without any trials for running this country in a mess the last few decades. We love you Khun Prayuth and the army.

'But, but I was on your side - where are you taking me? There must be some mistake here, I am on your side. I say, I AM ON YOUR SIDE! You can't do this to me, I have my right to.....'

Yes confiscate all the assets etc of politicians and so on while making sure transparency as to the wealth of your handpicked NCPO is off limits.

22 tuk-tuk drivers rounded up for cheating tourists

BANGKOK: -- A total of 22 tuk-tuk drivers operating in front of Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) have been arrested by police for cheating tourists wanting to visit the famous temple.

Pol Gen Somyot Pumpunmuang, the national police chief, told a press conference Thursday that the crackdown on the cheating tuk-tuk drivers followed a series of complaints filed with the police by many tourists who reported that they were deceived by the drivers who lied to them that the temple was temporarily closed and then took them to some jewelry shops or restaurants where the drivers were paid commission fees.

The national police chief said that undercover policemen masqueraded as tourists were dispatched to Wat Phra Kaew where they were approached by unscrupulous tuk-tuk drivers and tricked them by taking them to jewelry shops or restaurants where they were prodded to buy jewelry or to eat.

He alleged that the conduct of these drivers had ruined the reputation of Thailand and would affect tourism business. He also warned jewelry shops and restaurants which collaborated with the tuk-tuk drivers to cheat tourists to stop the practice or face legal actions.

The 22 tuk-tuk drivers will face a fine of 5,000 baht for causing public nuisance.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/22-tuk-tuk-drivers-rounded-up-for-cheating-tourists

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-22

22 scammers arrested for preying on foreign tourists

Bangkok:- Tourist police have rounded up 22 alleged scammers for luring foreign tourists from famous tourist destinations in the capital to be overcharged at jewelry shops, restaurants, tailor’s shops and souvenir shops.

The arrests were made in sting operations and Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang, Police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri and Tourist Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Apichai Thi-amart held a press conference at the Royal Thai Police headquarters Thursday to announce the arrests.

Somyot said the 22 scammers damaged the country’s reputation and caused damage to the tourism industry just for their group’s interest.

Somyot said the arrests were made after undercover officers, who look like foreign tourists, were sent to the areas these scammers were preying on tourists.

Somyot said the scammers would wait in front of the Grand Palace, the Emerald Buddha Temple and Wat Pho and would pick tourists who were not accompanied by tour guides.

The police chief said the scammers deceived tourists that the Grand Palace, the Emerald Buddha Temple or What Pho were closed in the morning because of certain rites and they would try to convince the tourists to visit a jewelry shop instead, for example.

Somyot said the deceived tourists later posted their incidents on social network or told TV stations in their countries or filed complaints with the tourist police or even with the Government House

Prawut said the jewelry shops, tailor’s shops and souvenir shops overcharged the tourists and gave up to 30 per cent commissions to these scammers.

The spokesman warned these shops to stop the practice or they would also be charged as collaborators with the scammers.

tvn.png
-- 2015-05-22

The spokesman warned these shops to stop the practice or they would also be charged as collaborators with the scammers.

Pick mushrooms in a national park, get sent to prison for fifteen years. Scam foreigners, get a warning.