Tourist Shot, Killed On Phi Phi

Maejo Man

You get young guys coming here (think they're superman) who don't study the culture and learn about 'face'......then they get drunk...compounds the problem......<deleted> happens.

I'm guessing in his country normally when you 'step outside' to settle a beef it's done with the fists........this ain't his country.........

Extremely sad event, his family will be devastated. :o

R.I.P. young man.

His country ... which is also MY country... indeed IF we have an arguement among people then we'll settle it with the fists...

I'm about his age and I know not to fed up any Thai people, especially not at night because i've seen voilence on the streets at night when I was watching from behind the curtain...

Actually it's the same in every country. Behave, stay out of trouble and don't get drunk !

But NONE of these things gives one a reason to kill someone... This boy was only 24 and probably not aware of the dangers of being 'not in your country'.

As long as i'm in Thailand, i'm sure not going to boost around.. low profile is my tactic...

May he rest in peace and I surely hope his brother doesn't turn out a rascist...

A belgian

Edited by Bates

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a quick translation

The dead guy : 24 years, engineer

His brother : 26, engineer too, was traveling around Asia. Came to Phi Phi.

His young brother joined him on island

Together they have met 1 german girl and 2 french men. They spent all together the saturday evening in a bar.

The big brother left at 1 AM, leaving his young brother with the 2 french men.

At 2h45, he's leaving with his 2 french friends. He's going back to his hotel. At this moment, he is attacked by 4 men (that appeared were waiting for him). One guy goes toward him and shot him in the head.

The police has arrested 4 men. The shooter would be a dive instructor.

The victim's family is talking about a "free murder" (without reasons)

the 4 suspects were transfered on krabi island

The police say : "the cause is a dispute that started inside the bar". The victim's family and friends do not agree, they have doubts about this. They say that the victime was not a "figther", and always tries to cool down situations.

So the familiy is looking for the 2 key witness : the frend men.

But nobody knows their wereabouts !

A freind of mine who's traveled all over Asia, including Thailand told me once that the Thai's are essentially a "warrior" people. I'v always kept this in mind when i'v been in Thailand! It aint wise to upset the locals or get so pissed-up you don't know what your saying.

I'm further reminded of the Thai's warrior instincs when ever i upset my Wife (Thai) all smiles up to a point then...well put it this way i'm nursing my bruises from thrown fruit, mugs and anything else at hand for several days after!

So my message (or rather my Wife's) is, keep your cool, be overly polite and don't travel to far off the beaten track.

Mini-video: Krabi Police took the murderers of a Belgian tourist for reenactment afte

Four men involved in the murder of a 24-year-old Belgian tourist Gregorey Vandervaeren, committed on the night of September 10th in front of Banyan Villa on Phi Phi island of Krabi, have been arrested. Krabi police carried out the swift operation after the incident took place as it was a cold blooded case and involved a tourist. The 4 men were arrested while attempting to flee the island after committing the crime. On Monday afternoon, Pol. Col. Sati Malakanond, Deputy Commander of Krabi Police brought the 4 men for a reenactment at the scene. They were named as Wanchai Lertwilai, age 21 who was the gunman, Theerayut Saratang from Nakorn Srithammarat, Charun Bunchuay from Trang and Worawut Chuaybamrung from Phuket. The shot gun was also seized as evidence by police. Wanchai confessed saying that they had a fight before he shot the man in the head.

The 4 men were detained at Krabi Town police station and were not allowed bail as the case was violent and adversely affects the tourism image for the island.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=187223

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable channel 1 at 10.30pm, & 01.30am, Wednesday 13 September 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

{ Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

You get young guys coming here (think they're superman) who don't study the culture and learn about 'face'......then they get drunk...compounds the problem......<deleted> happens.

I'm guessing in his country normally when you 'step outside' to settle a beef it's done with the fists........this ain't his country.........

Extremely sad event, his family will be devastated. :o

R.I.P. young man.

His country ... which is also MY country... indeed IF we have an arguement among people then we'll settle it with the fists...

I'm about his age and I know not to fed up any Thai people, especially not at night because i've seen voilence on the streets at night when I was watching from behind the curtain...

Actually it's the same in every country. Behave, stay out of trouble and don't get drunk !

But NONE of these things gives one a reason to kill someone... This boy was only 24 and probably not aware of the dangers of being 'not in your country'.

As long as i'm in Thailand, i'm sure not going to boost around.. low profile is my tactic...

May he rest in peace and I surely hope his brother doesn't turn out a rascist...

A belgian

All good advice. I also recommend not wearing gold. I've seen farang here wearing the equivalent of 2 years Thai wages; that's asking to be mugged.

Sorry about your fellow countryman. :D

A freind of mine who's traveled all over Asia, including Thailand told me once that the Thai's are essentially a "warrior" people. I'v always kept this in mind when i'v been in Thailand!

Do you mean "warriors" as in fighting noble wars; or as in cowardly and sadistically murdering unarmed tourists ? Please clarify....

A freind of mine who's traveled all over Asia, including Thailand told me once that the Thai's are essentially a "warrior" people. I'v always kept this in mind when i'v been in Thailand!

Do you mean "warriors" as in fighting noble wars; or as in cowardly and sadistically murdering unarmed tourists ? Please clarify....

Thais, God bless 'em, are not a warrior race, and if so, they are the most spectacularly inept warriors ever. A comparison of the boundaries of Thailand some 100 years ago and today tells you all you need to know about that, or the fact that they could not wrest a tiny island from the Laos a few years back, or... They are part of a culture that generally puts a high value on avoiding conflict. Because so much emotion is constantly held in check, when it gets loose it usually blows big-time, no restraint. The importance of face is another issue.

Edited by qualtrough

New info about the reason of the murder:

according to a Belgian newspaper,

DUTCH

Belg in Thailand vermoord na iPod-ruzie

Gregory van der Vaeren, de 24-jarige man uit Holsbeek die vorige zondag in Thailand vermoord werd, is doodgeschoten door een deejay. De man heeft bekend en riskeert de doodstraf. Gregory had de man in een bar gevraagd om een nummer van zijn iPod te draaien, maar de deejay zag dat niet zitten.

Toen de twee elkaar later op de avond weer ontmoetten, ontstond een woordenwisseling. Toen Gregory de deejay een verwijt naar het hoofd slingerde, trok de man zijn pistool en loste een schot.

Volgens Gazet van Antwerpen beledigde een beschonken Gregory van der Vaeren een Thaise vrouw, waarop de deejay door het lint ging.

------------------

ENGLISH

Belgian murdered over Ipod discussion.

Gregory van der Vaeren, a 24 year old man from Holsbeek (Belgium) whom was murdered in Thailand last sunday has been shot by a deejay. The man confessed and risks death penalty. Gregory had asked the deejay to play a song from his iPod, which was refused.

Later on that night the 2 met again which resulted in a discussion. After Gregory insulted the deejay, the gunner took his pistol and fired a shot.

According to another newspaper, Gregory insulted a Thai woman, which resulted in a fight.

Source: www.nieuwsblad.be

remains very unclear ...

Edited by Bates

A fair point, there is no doubt this is a cowardly act and very sad for the victim and his family. I hope i was not appearing to make light of it with my comments, not my intention at all. As it was my freind who made the comment i cannot be sure what he meant by "warrior people" . I have difficulty articulating what "warrior people" means to me but i guess it's based loosly on historical and cultural ideas i'v aquired through reading, visiting the country and being married to a Thai. Of course i could be talking total ****! and the guy was as you said a sadistic coward.

My wife however has quite strong views about this if a little simplistic/child like. She thinks if you speak bad about another person/their family, cannot control yourself when drunk then you can expect the worse to happen to you. You do not, as she says, know what is in that persons heart and you should always take care of ones self.

My wife however has quite strong views about this if a little simplistic/child like. She thinks if you speak bad about another person/their family, cannot control yourself when drunk then you can expect the worse to happen to you. You do not, as she says, know what is in that persons heart and you should always take care of ones self.

Sounds like good advice to me.

its a tragedy that this drunken farang got a bullet sandwich for his bad manners. :o

but punters must learn to treat thai with respect and dont get to pissed up.

different country , different rules and it never happens to people that play within the rules.

reason being , there's plenty of pissed up farang's with bad attitudes that need sorting out.

now dont spit the dummy punters as its not good that this guy got a bullet, but we all must remember were we are, and what's going down. :D

Its the Thai savages that needs to learn not to murder people in cold blood whenever they lose Face. I don't care if the farang guy spat in his face and called his mother a dirty monkey wh*re, a bullet in the head is never a suitable retort.

Im hoping for the death penalty for the shooter.

its a tragedy that this drunken farang got a bullet sandwich for his bad manners. :D

different country , different rules and it never happens to people that play within the rules.

reason being , there's plenty of pissed up farang's with bad attitudes that need sorting out.

now dont spit the dummy punters as its not good that this guy got a bullet, but we all must remember were we are, and what's going down. :D

Its the Thai savages that needs to learn not to murder people in cold blood whenever they lose Face. I don't care if the farang guy spat in his face and called his mother a dirty monkey wh*re, a bullet in the head is never a suitable retort.

dont know about that my friend as if you spat in my face and called my beloved mother a dirty monkey whore id frigging blow you away in 2 seconds.

and im a placid aussie fella. :D

hang around los a bit longer and you will learn how things work here.

retorts like that get people killed and thats just the way it is and always will be.

the conclusion being,

if you cant understand this very principal, you must never come to thailand. :o

chances are you will go home in a pine box. :D

Sounds like good advice to me.

i'll go one step further,

it is a very brilliant and basic, but true bit of advice.

if the dude had read her words maybe he would be alive today. :D

actually im sure he would be alive today. :o

if the dude had read her words maybe he would be alive today.

If the Thai man in this instance had not been raised as a lunatic, the Belgian would be alive. Why and how did this "man" access a gun so readily? He must have already had it, and for what reason would he have a gun on Phi Phi? If he was not a local, he must have transported it. Why would he bring a gun there? We will soon learn that the gun was not legally owned, and probably a little more about this guys background.

The Thai people are not doing themselves any favors.

Tourist shot, killed on Phi Phi

Police say a 24-year-old Belgian tourist has been shot dead on Thailand's popular Phi Phi island.

Police Colonel Boontawee Toraksa says the man was gunned down in front of a budget beach hotel as he came back from a local bar with two other westerners.

"Witnesses told us three young men approached the Belgian and shot him in the head," he said.

Colonel Boontawee says the two others are unharmed.

He says the Belgian, whose identity is not clear, arrived in Phi Phi last week with a brother.

Police have declined to give further details.

Phi Phi is known for its postcard-perfect beaches and was used as the location for the 2000 Hollywood film, The Beach, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

today's bangkok post

Is it me or does every story about Pi-Pi always end with a reminder that a particular movie was filmed there ? :o

its a tragedy that this drunken farang got a bullet sandwich for his bad manners. :D

dont know about that my friend as if you spat in my face and called my beloved mother a dirty monkey whore id frigging blow you away in 2 seconds.

retorts like that get people killed and thats just the way it is and always will be.

the conclusion being,

:D Yeah, and blow your mates away in the 3rd and 4th second respectively !!

I see it all the time in Phuket, young blokes thinking they can have a go at the weedy Thais, not so weedy when they can bust a cap in yo' ass !! :D

the conclusion being,

:D Yeah, and blow your mates away in the 3rd and 4th second respectively !!

I see it all the time in Phuket, young blokes thinking they can have a go at the weedy Thais, not so weedy when they can bust a cap in yo' ass !! :D

Very true. God didn't make all men equal......Samuel Colt did.

Terry has a valid point though. Always understand your surroundings. Is it me or do all/most of the recent shootings involve alcohol?

BTW, remember the traffic cop in Chiang Mai that shot and killed the Thai guy, his wife, and a family friend before turning the gun on himself? Doesn't matter if you're Thai or farang; cause someone to lose face and you can pay with your life......tit.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

A solid beating with bats? Sure. A bullet in the head? No way.

I understand perfectly how things work with these crazy savages, but whatever the reason, only sociopaths kill people over words. The exception being stone cold bad ass Aussies like you of course.

mate,

im a real good bleeding aussie and avoid trouble like the plague but if someone wants to spit in my eye and abuse my mommy like that, i'll put a cap in there disrespectful arse, no problem at all.

id only do this in aussie as i know the rules, but if a thai done this to me i'd walk away as im not a silly man.

thats why i have a brilliant time in thailand, as i respect people always, and never tackle the thai's.

crazy savages are very harsh words and i always feel its the falang who are sometimes crazy savages themselves.

the falang starts the problem and the thai finish it.

i have absolutely no problem with this as ive seen some shockingly drunken falang get sorted out by my thai friends.

never once have i seen a thai attack a falang for no reason.

can i ask you a question please ?

what has the thais ever done to you to make you so bent and twisted towards them ?

its only the cock heads who have trouble in thailand and 99% of the time its there own doing, like our pissed up friend here.

maybe it does'nt shock me as i know my above statement to be true. :o

If the Thai man in this instance had not been raised as a lunatic, the Belgian would be alive. Why and how did this "man" access a gun so readily? He must have already had it, and for what reason would he have a gun on Phi Phi? If he was not a local, he must have transported it. Why would he bring a gun there? We will soon learn that the gun was not legally owned, and probably a little more about this guys background.

thais love guns, theres a hit man on every corner, life is cheap in thailand.

moral of the story is : be a good punter and you will never have a problem.

lets turn this around shall we,

if the belgian was not a pissed up lunatic being disrespectful to the thai , :D

he would still be alive today drinking a nice glass of lager. :D

if you know anything about thailand you will know this to be fact. :o

I'd appreciate it if you didn't write 'the belgian' :D

Aussies, djeeez :D

I'd appreciate it if you didn't write 'the belgian' :D

Aussies, djeeez :D

jes--sus mate , :D

im only referring to the facts here and the fact is, it was " the belgian " :D

but dont worry about it, as a pissed up aussie would of got the same treatment.

what would you like me to say ?

the pissed up mongolian ?

im sorry, but one must always deal with fact and truth as then one can never be accused of talking <deleted> and distorting the story. :D

We know the rules and thats all well and good. But you cant expect some 20 year old student in a drunken stupor to understand that "disrespecting" a thai guy can get you killed easily.

Shit all i knew about Thailand the first time was that "its totally awesome dude, they are all Buddhist's so its all smiles and love wherever you go"

Apparently the word is that its the safest place in the world. Yeah right.

Besides who here has never gone out of line when you have had to much to drink? Even the calmest and nicest of guys can throw a fit sometimes.

We know the rules and thats all well and good. But you cant expect some 20 year old student in a drunken stupor to understand that "disrespecting" a thai guy can get you killed easily.

Shit all i knew about Thailand the first time was that "its totally awesome dude, they are all Buddhist's so its all smiles and love wherever you go"

Besides who here has never gone out of line when you have had to much to drink? Even the calmest and nicest of guys can throw a fit sometimes.

granted and well said my friend as i also was a loose mother when i first came here and still manage to turn a blinder on some times.

but cricky's mate,

i have always known that i must have my manners on full beam when dealing with the thai and any new country i travel in.

i leave my bad form for the farangs.

im in no way condoning this killing but simply dealing with fact and truth.

maybe theres some one out there who might learn something about the thai mind set and my information might save one persons life.

thats my real aim as there's 33,000 people lurking around this forum.

cheers :o

even young dudes should know not to play silly games in a new country and most people do know this.

Thai men are a bunch weak assed bastards who only know how to fight with help of their gang friends and if that doesn't work they just shoot you. One on one they are nothing. These men who commited this crime should all be executed. There is no excuse for what they did, a cold blooded murder.

Thai men are a bunch weak assed bastards who only know how to fight with help of their gang friends and if that doesn't work they just shoot you. One on one they are nothing. These men who commited this crime should all be executed. There is no excuse for what they did, a cold blooded murder.
" one on one they are nothing "

well this is a very interesting reply :o

id love to see you in action telling the thai men this to there face.

watch out for the thai boxers will you, as they might kick your arse into frigging orbit. :D

granted and well said my friend as i also was a loose mother when i first came here and still manage to turn a blinder on some times.

but cricky's mate,

i have always known that i must have my manners on full beam when dealing with the thai and any new country i travel in.

i leave my bad form for the farangs.

im in no way condoning this killing but simply dealing with fact and truth.

maybe theres some one out there who might learn something about the thai mind set and my information might save one persons life.

thats my real aim as there's 33,000 people lurking around this forum.

cheers :o

even young dudes should know not to play silly games in a new country and most people do know this.

Your information wouldn't save anyones life. Your full of crap and do anything to promote yourself.

Your yet another self appointed Thailand expert that doesn't really know anything.

I'd put more trust in statements made by Donz than anything you've said