New Visa Rules

fourbaht

Visa Regulations and how they affect you  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So basically 80% of the poll says they dont give a rats ass. All they need to do is wait as there ship will come in. It was already stated in another thread that someone applying for a marriage visa had to show 800K in a thai bank. what's next? 1.6 mil for retirees? glad to see so many happy folks over these developments. careful what u wish for

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood why people who stay in Thailand a long time use 30 day entry without visa, when other options are available. I am under 50, do not work and do not have a Thai wife. I have lived here for four years. In a year that I go back to be UK a get a one year multi entry non-immigrant visa from Hull. If I do not go to the UK I get a triple entry tourist visa in Penang. There is nothing to suggest that either of these options will disappear. In my view cheaper and much less hassel than monthly "visa" runs

Actually, the writing is on the wall about serial tourist visas from places like Penang. It is unclear yet whether that will tighten or not, but the new rules are clearly targetting permanant tourists ...

As far as consistently getting one year multi O's, I get the impression that is easier to get from the UK than other countries. You couldn't exactly guarantee being able to get a new one every year. They ask for a REASON, yes?????

Yes, the reason I give on the application is "visiting friends in Thailand"

Seems like I'll be getting lucky, current holders of the investment visa will be grandfathered in and will keep getting extensions on the 3 million.

Only new applicants will be out of luck.

Shame really, because in my opinion it was one of the few schemes which did make sense...

Seems like I'll be getting lucky, current holders of the investment visa will be grandfathered in and will keep getting extensions on the 3 million.

Only new applicants will be out of luck.

Shame really, because in my opinion it was one of the few schemes which did make sense...

Well at least that`s some good news :o

I have never understood why people who stay in Thailand a long time use 30 day entry without visa, when other options are available. I am under 50, do not work and do not have a Thai wife. I have lived here for four years. In a year that I go back to be UK a get a one year multi entry non-immigrant visa from Hull. If I do not go to the UK I get a triple entry tourist visa in Penang. There is nothing to suggest that either of these options will disappear. In my view cheaper and much less hassel than monthly "visa" runs

Tip Top advice.

Now it's about the only option for those who wish to live here but don't qualify for a retirement visa.

I have had five Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'O' visas from Hull. They served me well until I qualified for my retirement visa.

Anyone who is currently doing visa runs every 30 days but has the means to go to the UK for a few days could do a lot worse that at least check out this option. The paperwork and formalities are minimal and the Hull Consulate's service second to none in my experience.

The only problem is if immigration look at these types of visas as well?? the way they have done the others I would have thought that changes would be made to them as well

I don't think they will change the Non O imm Visa as it is a big money spinner for them. Not only that there must be a visa for those who have spouses that don't live here. A tourist visa would not be enough for a guy with a Thai wife.

I know this is being discussed elsewhere but as it affects Pattaya probably more than most cities I just wondered what every ones views were on how the new regulations affect the city we call home.

very good news for thailand !

same rules in europe (shengen visa) usa canada australia all golf country ............................

why thailand must be the rubish can of the world ??

better to clean !!

here here

This all comes down to how long people will have to stay out of Thailand after that third month.

If it's five days, people will hang out in Cambodia for five days, etc.

This will help Cambodia's tourism industry on the border towns.

The mini-bus businesses won't go under. They'll only lose 33% of their business. And they'll probably offer the multi day cheap package for people who have to stay out of Thailand for however many days it is. If they do this, they won't lose any business at all. Except for the long timers who decide to say good-bye to Thailand for good.

This all comes down to how long people will have to stay out of Thailand after that third month.

If it's five days, people will hang out in Cambodia for five days, etc.

This will help Cambodia's tourism industry on the border towns.

The mini-bus businesses won't go under. They'll only lose 33% of their business. And they'll probably offer the multi day cheap package for people who have to stay out of Thailand for however many days it is. If they do this, they won't lose any business at all. Except for the long timers who decide to say good-bye to Thailand for good.

After the third month you must wait 90 days if you want to return without a visa from an embassy/consultate outside Thailand. You are allowed 3 stamps within 90 days, after that you must get a regular visa. In theory, if you border hopped on 3 consecutive days and got stamped you would have to wait almost 6 months (less 3 days) for re-entry without a visa. There's long threads on this subject in the Visa and Immigration Forums.

I have no idea what the Thai government hopes to accomplish. I can understand if the purpose was to get rid of some of the bottom feeders. I know a few and I'm sure you guys know a few that would NOT be missed by anyone.

Tampering with the 3 million baht investment visa is really stupid. These guys are certainly NOT bottom feeders. Going a little further, I think 65,000 baht per month income for a retirement visa is also WAY out of line. I know guys who get Social Security of between 40,000 and 50,000 per month. They can't get a retirement visa but their income is many time that of the average Thai.

I am not affected because I am fortunate that my monthly income is considerably above the 65,000 baht requirement. It also is stupid that they have decided that two can live cheaper than one. If you don't have the minimum monthly income and are single, you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. If you are married to a Thai that drops to 400,000.

For years the government has allowed crooked lawyers to set up bogus companies for farangs to own land. Now they have decided that this is NOT legal? Lawyers are permitted to draw up contracts that say anything you want the contract to say. Those contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. WHY??? I personally have no problems and I have a legal Thai wife but it's an ill wind that is blowing.

I have no idea what the Thai government hopes to accomplish. I can understand if the purpose was to get rid of some of the bottom feeders. I know a few and I'm sure you guys know a few that would NOT be missed by anyone.

Tampering with the 3 million baht investment visa is really stupid. These guys are certainly NOT bottom feeders. Going a little further, I think 65,000 baht per month income for a retirement visa is also WAY out of line. I know guys who get Social Security of between 40,000 and 50,000 per month. They can't get a retirement visa but their income is many time that of the average Thai.

I am not affected because I am fortunate that my monthly income is considerably above the 65,000 baht requirement. It also is stupid that they have decided that two can live cheaper than one. If you don't have the minimum monthly income and are single, you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. If you are married to a Thai that drops to 400,000.

For years the government has allowed crooked lawyers to set up bogus companies for farangs to own land. Now they have decided that this is NOT legal? Lawyers are permitted to draw up contracts that say anything you want the contract to say. Those contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. WHY??? I personally have no problems and I have a legal Thai wife but it's an ill wind that is blowing.

hi Gary

agree with you but for myself i use the same deposit saving account with minimum 800000 baht

since 3 years ! now i have interest on this 5.75% but the immigration never ask me how much i use

every years !

conclusion you are free to use your money with no minimum on a normal account and just keep

800000 bath on saving account for many years !!!

i have my one year visa in 5 minuts and no question !!

why so many people have problem ????

As I understand it, it's not after the 3rd month it's after the 3rd VOA; so if you stay for only a day at a time, you will have to wait for 90 days for your next voa....this kind of puts the mockers on Bkk/Pattaya/thailand being the touring hub for S.E.Asia, doesn't it?

It looks to me after reading this thread that most of us will be ok as long as we sort out our visas properly.

The only time I have had to do the dreaded visa run was when traveling back n forth from the uk and some times stoping longer than 30 days.

My only concern is what is going to happen to all the casual labor that go to the boarder by the coach load , all the Philipeno and cambodian's. Keeping these people out will surely affect the Thai economy? Who will clean the hiso Thai condos now? :o

My only concern is what is going to happen to all the casual labor that go to the boarder by the coach load , all the Philipeno and cambodian's. Keeping these people out will surely affect the Thai economy? Who will clean the hiso Thai condos now? :D

I wouldn't lump the Philipinos in with the Cambodians as "casual laborers" - maybe the Burmese and Laos.

Most Philipinos probably own their own business or are English teachers. :o

It looks to me after reading this thread that most of us will be ok as long as we sort out our visas properly.

The only time I have had to do the dreaded visa run was when traveling back n forth from the uk and some times stoping longer than 30 days.

My only concern is what is going to happen to all the casual labor that go to the boarder by the coach load , all the Philipeno and cambodian's. Keeping these people out will surely affect the Thai economy? Who will clean the hiso Thai condos now? :o

Contractors will pay tea money at the border for the boyz to look the other way.

TiST (This is Still Thailand).

I seem to be in the minority here. I do rely on the 30 day visas (did 9 border runs in a row last time).

I work overseas in places like Afghanistan. Sometimes there are long periods between contracts (like this last stint). No embassy in Afghanistan, so I just fly to Thailand and get the 30 day stamp.

Couldn't see any point in flying all the way back to Canada, just to apply for a visa and fly back, especially as I didn't know how long it would be before I went back to work (not to mention the cost of flights, hotels and other expenses while waiting for a visa to be processed).

The monthly runs were inconvenient, but it was that or go somewhere else to spend my money. Not all 30 day runners are cheap charlies, or working illegally in the kingdom.

Too young for a retirement visa, no business set up in LOS, not ready to get married yet. There were a few of us in that situation (5 from the company I work for alone).

Now that we are going back to work, it won't be a major concern for me in the near future. When the job ends though, it could be a problem.

I think this situation is going to hurt the local Thais more than anyone. Those visa-run companies are going to take a hit. One company I used to go with averages well over 6 runners per day, sometimes as many as 18. They are probably netting well over 200,000 baht a month after expenses (fuel, food, wages and visas at the border).

This isn't really a new thing though, now that I think about it. I seem to recall that many visa-run companies switched from Poi Pet to Ban Lam, partly because the Thai Immigration officers were starting to hassle repeat runners. I heard that back last December during my first run.

Guess I'm just going to have to find some kind soul that is willing to marry me I guess. Hmmmm, what are my chances in a place like Pattaya ? :o

Get a tourist visa, but to be honest I think this won't amount to much in the end. I have a feeling smth will be sorted out or revised - costing continuous border runners dosh instead of exit visas after 90days. So I'd assume there will be a big increase in revenues from back to back tourist visas from Oct 1 onward.

Guess I'm just going to have to find some kind soul that is willing to marry me I guess. Hmmmm, what are my chances in a place like Pattaya ?

I'm sure a few candidates can be found from FLB or Polos!! :o

Edited by britmaveric

Get a tourist visa, but to be honest I think this won't amount to much in the end. I have a feeling smth will be sorted out or revised - costing continuous border runners dosh instead of exit visas after 90days. So I'd assume there will be a big increase in revenues from back to back tourist visas from Oct 1 onward.

If they were smart, they (Immigration) would just charge people 1-2,000 baht to get a new 30 day stamp at the local immigration office. Then they (Immigration) would be bringing in the big bucks, instead of the visa-run companies and the Cambodian Immigration police.

Much more convenient to make a quick dash to the soi 5 office, pay a thousand (or so) baht and get a stamp, instead of wasting a day on a border run.

Guess I'm just going to have to find some kind soul that is willing to marry me I guess. Hmmmm, what are my chances in a place like Pattaya ?

I'm sure a few candidates can be found from FLB or Polos!! :o

Really ? Even if it's just a marriage of convenience and no love (of the emotional kind) involved ? :D

I may have to check that out when I get back ! :D

Edited by Kerryd