Cameron: Tough times for EU ahead of UK membership vote

Lite Beer

Cameron: Tough times for EU ahead of UK membership vote

RIGA, Latvia (AP) — British Prime Minister David Cameron set off Friday on a whirlwind campaign to change the way the European Union is run, warning of a rough road ahead to achieve the reform needed to keep his country from leaving.

Ever the halfhearted EU member, Britain now wants to cut back the political powers the EU has over member states on sensitive issues like welfare and immigration.

Cameron has pledged to hold a national vote before the end of 2017 on whether Britain should leave the EU. If there is no reform, he has indicated there could be a Brexit, the term for a potential British exit.

"I've always said that if I don't get what I think I need, I rule nothing out," Cameron said Friday.

But no other nation is actively seeking such profound change, and many maintain that a united voice and common policies are the way ahead.

"I am not going to say I was met with a wall of love when I arrived," Cameron said.

In his first meeting with EU counterparts since his election victory earlier, Cameron said his reform drive will certainly stir up emotions.

"One day you are going to hear this is possible. Then you are going to hear that it's completely impossible. You hear the Germans say 'no' and the French say 'yes,' and the Italians say. You're going to hear loads of stuff," he said.

He has already had several bilateral meetings at the EU-Eastern Partnership summit and will visit French President Francois Hollande Thursday and German Chancellor Angela Merkel next Friday.

The issue is one of the most important facing his government in the next five years and will likely start to increasingly affect the workings of the EU.

Some EU leaders have acknowledged they share some of his concerns, but have insisted that allowing people to travel freely across the EU's 28 nations remains a cornerstone of their policies, whatever the British objections.

"Freedom of movement is the core value of the European Union," Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said.

Cameron said the issue was not so much people coming to Britain as them getting access to the welfare system too easily, and that Europe must be able to address it.

Hollande said it is up to Britain to do the heavy lifting if it wants to push through change.

"We ask for nothing. Europe is not concerned by a vote," the French president said.

Britain's industry and services sector stands to lose billions in trade if the country leaves the EU. Europe would also lose if Britain departs, leaving the continent with much less diplomatic and military clout.

"In the end, it is in everybody's interest" to avoid a breakup, Cameron said. "Britain benefits from being in a reformed EU. But I think a reformed European Union will benefit from having Britain in it."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-23

"Freedom of movement is the core value of the European Union," Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said.

And I always thought that was the free movement of goods and services, i.e. Common Market.

The promise of consulting the nation on EU membership was an election ploy and a sop to anti-EU Tories. Now back in office with a workable majority, and stuck with the referendum he doesn't really want, Cameron will pull out all the propaganda stops to ensure he gets a "No" vote to pulling out, irrespective of whether or not he gets any "concessions":

If I'm wrong I'll eat Paddy Ashdown's chocolate hat.

Anyone who thinks Uk would be better off outside the EU either needs their head looking at or is under 23 years old

I agree - but that doesn't mean the UK, or any other member country should submit to more, central control by EU mandarins, some of whom clearly follow their own countries agenda.

The EU was envisaged as a common market. Some countries want to change that to a federal Europe, with central control. Mainly the countries whose economies are down the pan, who want to sponge off others, and who are in need of huge development so see more opportunity for earning money overseas.

I voted to join the common market, not to be ruled by a faceless EU. I'm sure many people in the more developed countries within the EU feel the same. They are paying for other less developed countries, some of whom, like Greece, have been happy to take with no thought of ever giving.

Britain, like Germany, is a very large contributor. And both want more say in how things are run. Merkel knows full well that many Germans have similar concerns to Britain.

EU is soon gonna be finished as 2 burmese scapegoats as its been a mess of corruption and incomeptence from the beginning - should never had let countries like Portugal and Greece join but anyway good riddens ...

Anyone who thinks Uk would be better off outside the EU either needs their head looking at or is under 23 years old

Really?

We would be better off outside the EU. We do not need the EU to trade with the world. The EU stops the UK from making it's own trade deals! They need us more than we need them. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about!

Lord Bamford does, and he is head of one of Britain's largest exporters, probably exporting a lot to the EU. This has thrown a big spanner in the works for the pro-EU peoplefacepalm.gif !

Also, think about this, Germany exports 84 billion Euros worth of stuff to the UK every year (an 11 billion surplus just from cars). Britain exports almost exactly half that amount to Germany. Is Germany going to spit the dummy with this arrangement (which, strangely, the UK pays about 11 billion quid a year to maintain!)?

You are so,so wrong,anyone who can think for themselves will vote to get out of this burocratic jungle.

However after saying that, I except that the government propaganda machine will go into overdrive to conn the electorate that it's a good club to belong in. Exactly the way the electorate was conned many year ago into voting for an organization that was Supposed to be a trading group. It's more than possible that the under 23 yr group will be duped by the political elite and those businessmen who do gain from our membership.

I think the financial figures speak for themselves.

post-211553-0-87549200-1432368692_thumb.

http://www.thisismon...-does-back.html

Of course, the 24 leeching Countries of the EU will be desperate for the UK to stay in.

Edited by JockPieandBeans

Agreed - but I still don't understand why the option is being presented as in/out.

Everybody wants free trade and a common market. Nobody wants the UK to go-it-alone in the world.

But nobody I know wants the EU making laws we don't want and untold billions being spent maintaining all the flotsam that goes with it - particularly the massive corruption and unelected representatives on outrageous expenses.

Politicians want European unity because without it, they have less power on the world stage.

At the end of the day, the EU will not let the UK leave because the Domino effect will destroy it. I have a feeling we will be presented with Hobson's choice at the referendum when really the people want something in the middle.

Lord Bamford...

But then maybe his family business may well fair somewhat better out of the EU, but then most businesses and British industries would not...

attachicon.gifhttp://www.thisismon...-does-back.html

Of course, the 24 leeching Countries of the EU will be desperate for the UK to stay in.

"I think the financial figures speak for themselves." yes if you were blinkers.

​What you can not see are the benefits of British Companies access to European Market.

what a load of crap , we will still trade with the EU , this is just left wing rubbish , we do not need the EU , the EU needs us

"I think the financial figures speak for themselves." yes if you were blinkers.

​What you can not see are the benefits of British Companies access to European Market.

I do not subscribe to the theory of benefits for British Companies. If you have goods that people wish to buy trade will continue. Whether in or out of the EU.

Furthermore, why should UK taxpayers pay for the privilege of contributing Billions of pounds annually to allow British Companies to trade. I will also further throw in. How many of those Companies are actually British and not Foreign owned ?

As you failed to comment, I assume that you find it acceptable that 24 members of the EU are leechers feeding off the other 4 ?

Well I'm a long way over 23 and I've had my head examined.

Before going on I do not necessarily wish to leave the EU, there are advantages in remaining members however there are also disadvantages.

I will give you one of the best reasons for getting tough with some other members. Calais is our border with France. Calais has thousands of illegal refugees and migrants trying to enter the UK.

Dealing with the refugees first. If they are genuine refugees then they should be dealt with in the first country of entry and certainly not encouraged by another member state to enter the UK. The UK would normally help SOME of these families.

Non EU migrants (or illegal immigrants) should be returned by the EU from whence they came. The cost of this should be borne by ALL member states.

Migrants coming from the EU should be vetted and be provided with ID cards that have to be carried at all times. I also believe that everyone in the UK should have ID cards, no cards no control. They do not have to be expensive and could be linked to photo ID held in the passport office. Charge £20 per 10 years.

Migrant ID cards could have work, living, NHS and benefit status colour coded on their cards.

Aussie Rules on entry criminal record showing 1 year jail time, no entry. Break law in UK go home.

EU Human rights law changed. At present the UK are having to support terrorists and criminals because they may be punished severely in their own country, shame, but not our problem.

THE EU COULD CAUSE PROBLEM'S FOR UK BUSINESS ?????????????????

The UK is a huge market for the other EU states.

Yes, they could impose tariffs but they will not. There are several countries that are outside the EU but have working trade agreements, Norway and Switzerland to name a couple.

I believe it is right to renegotiate the freedom of movement and certainly to limit the benefits available to same. If the rules do not work they have to be modified.

Before finishing I will give you a prime example why change is important.

Migrant comes to UK, finds a house to rent and pays first month, then stops paying. After 6 months landlord finally evicts Migrant who then goes to local council and says I'm homeless. He and his family HAVE to be helped and they jump the waiting list of UK citizens. Not right not fair and needs to be stopped.

Britain is again the last line of defence against Germany. Twice in the past century they squashed the German dreams of domination of Europe. I'm sure they can do it again.

yeah right! I often wonder why anti-Eu are so obsessed with being dominated by Germany - usually an opinion that is the reserve of the clinically insane? Have they never considered that the only way UK can be equal with Germany "dominate"if you like Europe is to be part of it....do they not realise what would happen if we weren't part of the club? Do they really think that the only alternative for the UK is to run away back to the 1950s? UK's economy will be bigger than Germany's within the next decade....so why do they think it will be dominated by Germany????

Yet we make a profit eery year in trade and all other aspects of the economy - your view is so simplistic it would shame a 12 year old.

people need to remember what UK was like BEFORE the EU......like the current Thai admin they appear to think the past was a better place - it would be great if they could be sent back just for a couple of months and then brought back to reality.....

Cameron is of course hugely pro EU.....and is going to be in a VERY tricky situation before any referendum as he will either be campaigning against members of his own party of just trying to whip them into line.....

PS - I'd love to see how they unravel the various treaties back to the treaty of Rome!

what a load of crap , we will still trade with the EU , this is just left wing rubbish , we do not need the EU , the EU needs us

Famous last words!

Famous last words!

I get that you are Pro EU.

If you are going to post 5 consecutive posts of diatribe, it might be an idea to have some independent sources to back up your diatribe. Otherwise, it is nothing more than your diatribe.

Famous last words!

If you are going to post 5 consecutive posts of diatribe, it might be an idea to have some independent sources to back up your diatribe. Otherwise, it is nothing more than your diatribe.

In my experience people who ask for sources do so to hide the fact they don't actually have an argument of their own.

Famous last words!

In my experience people who ask for sources do so to hide the fact they don't actually have an argument of their own.

I think the Billions of reasons annually, highlighted in post 11, backed up by source confirms my argument.

I also highlighted that 24 of the 28 Countries in the EU are leechers, which one of the leechers are you from ?

Famous last words!

I think the Billions of reasons annually, highlighted in post 11, backed up by source confirms my argument.

I also highlighted that 24 of the 28 Countries in the EU are leechers, which one of the leechers are you from ?

I have to say that drawing a conclusion from a single set of unreferenced figures just doesn't hack it as an argument against EU membership........if you join an organisation you pay and reap the benefits - it's simple accounting.

Uk economy has benefitted immensely from EU membership -

Edited by cumgranosalum

I have to say that drawing a conclusion from a single set of unreferenced figures just doesn't hack it as an argument against EU membership........if you join an organisation you pay and reap the benefits - it's simple accounting.

Uk economy has benefitted immensely from EU membership -

Then simply back up your assertions. And provide a link that refutes mine.

If you cannot do that. It is time to give it a rest.

Agreed - but I still don't understand why the option is being presented as in/out.

Everybody wants free trade and a common market. Nobody wants the UK to go-it-alone in the world.

But nobody I know wants the EU making laws we don't want and untold billions being spent maintaining all the flotsam that goes with it - particularly the massive corruption and unelected representatives on outrageous expenses.

Politicians want European unity because without it, they have less power on the world stage.

At the end of the day, the EU will not let the UK leave because the Domino effect will destroy it. I have a feeling we will be presented with Hobson's choice at the referendum when really the people want something in the middle.

Nobody wants the UK to go-it-alone in the world.

Who is nobody?

The UK would be better off out of the EU. We can trade with them but don't want their laws and BS which actually holds the UK back from progress. Imagine if we had the Euro currency instead of the Great British Pound. We would be in a worse situation than we are in.

Why surrender soveriegnty to the EU, we turned our backs on the commonwealth countries to join the EU, Why The UK could have created it's own larger (than the EU) trading block with these countries and we would have been better placed to take advantage of Emerging markets.

If countries like Iceland on it's own can negotiate trade deals with China why can't the UK? WHy would the EU stop countries from being able to make their own trade deals?

What Germany couldn't do with the War it is doing diplomatically. Does the UK want to be part of what is in effect a German Third Riech?

If/When we actually join the Euro currency, you will see the biggest devaluation of the GBP in the History of the country. After all if we stay in we will have to adopt the Euro sooner or later.

Hands up for those tha want to get 36-37 Euros to the Baht compared to 52 Baht to the Gbp at current exchange rates?

Edited by ggold

Nobody wants the UK to go-it-alone in the world.

Who is nobody?

The UK would be better off out of the EU. We can trade with them but don't want their laws and BS which actually holds the UK back from progress. Imagine if we had the Euro currency instead of the Great British Pound. We would be in a worse situation than we are in.

Why surrender soveriegnty to the EU, we turned our backs on the commonwealth countries to join the EU, Why The UK could have created it's own larger (than the EU) trading block with these countries and we would have been better placed to take advantage of Emerging markets.

If countries like Iceland on it's own can negotiate trade deals with China why can't the UK? WHy would the EU stop countries from being able to make their own trade deals?

What Germany couldn't do with the War it is doing diplomatically. Does the UK want to be part of what is in effect a German Third Riech?

If/When we actually join the Euro currency, you will see the biggest devaluation of the GBP in the History of the country. After all if we stay in we will have to adopt the Euro sooner or later.

Hands up for those tha want to get 36-37 Euros to the Baht compared to 52 Baht to the Gbp at current exchange rates?

...and that in a nutshell is why UK needs the EU.