Sold for ransom: On the trail of Thailand's human traffickers

Sold for ransom: On the trail of Thailand's human traffickers
By Jonathan Head
South East Asia correspondent

As the trade in human beings becomes more and more profitable, the BBC's Jonathan Head discovers that entire communities in Thailand are helping the traffickers.

Earlier this month, I accompanied a group of Thai volunteers through the steamy mangrove forest of an island on the Andaman coast. They were following up hazy reports of unmarked graves on the island; it was known to have been used by traffickers to hold large groups of migrants while they waited for transport south towards the Malaysian border.

They dug down deep into the waterlogged soil, before the first fragments of bone appeared. Then they pulled at a soggy wet cloth. It was a dress. Inside were the yellowing bones of a woman. Who she was, or how she died, we still do not know. But it is almost certain she was one of the migrants.
She must have endured a gruelling sea journey to reach this desolate spot. Had she lived, the ordeal ahead of her, on her route to a better life in Malaysia, might have been even worse.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-32835811

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-05-22

"None of this would have been possible, though, without official connivance. Just how high the involvement went is still unclear. But it must have been very high.

Towards the end of last year, I was given a briefing by a senior police officer who knows a lot about the human trafficking trade. He told me of at least one huge camp, right on the border with Malaysia, where 1,000 people could be held.

Why did he not shut it down, I asked. He laughed. "You know the border is a military zone", he said. "As a police officer I can do nothing there without military approval."

I think that is what many thought strait off ,how can that happen in a Military controlled area ? . I doubt anything will happen internally , requires the UN to do a full inquiry

Edited by ExPratt

"None of this would have been possible, though, without official connivance. Just how high the involvement went is still unclear. But it must have been very high.

Towards the end of last year, I was given a briefing by a senior police officer who knows a lot about the human trafficking trade. He told me of at least one huge camp, right on the border with Malaysia, where 1,000 people could be held.

Why did he not shut it down, I asked. He laughed. "You know the border is a military zone", he said. "As a police officer I can do nothing there without military approval."

I think that is what many thought strait off ,how can that happen in a Military controlled area ? . I doubt anything will happen internally , requires the UN to do a full inquiry

It might be a military zone, but the frequency of bombings and killings in the South are adequate proof that the region is not controlled by the Thai military.

It might be a military zone, but the frequency of bombings and killings in the South are adequate proof that the region is not controlled by the Thai military.

True , but the attacks are mainly ambushes and bike/car bombs , I don't believe the Separatists have camps with 100s of people in them

Yes, the Yingluck government and their RTP flunkies were involved heavily in trafficking Rohingya. The story below is from Reuters December 1, 2013 (near the end of the Yingluck administration)

Thai immigration officials said he was being deported to Myanmar. In fact, they sold Ismail, 23, and hundreds of other Rohingya Muslims to human traffickers... Ismail was one of five Rohingya who said that Thai immigration officials had sold him outright or aided in their sale to human traffickers. "It seemed so official at first," said Ismail, a wiry farmer with a long narrow face and tight curly hair. "They took our photographs. They took our fingerprints.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-thailand-rohingya-special-report-idUSBRE9B400320131205

What do you bet that all nearly all those bones are from the Yingluck administration's term of office. That government was prepared to overlook any egregious behavior by the RTP to maintain their loyalty. One of the first policemen to be arrested by the new Prayut government was the head of the CIB, Lt. Gen. Pongpat Chayapan. He must have been so blatant/brazen but it does illustrate just how much the Yingluck government was prepared to overlook to keep the police on its side. Yingluck's chief law enforcement officer, Tarit Pengdith's statement, "We have heard about these camps in southern Thailand, but we are not investigating this issue." is particularly damning.

There has been NO evidence of involvement by the military. No previous Thai government has cracked down on human traffickers as much as the Prayut government. These bones wouldn't be being uncovered if the Prayut government was trying to hide something. These are indisputable facts. General Prayut has had so much to deal with in the past year, it is unfair to single out one problem and complain he has not given it the attention it deserves. Now this problem is in the forefront, it is being dealt with swiftly and efficiently with police transfers, including police brass, and many arrests of traffickers and suspected traffickers. One more thing the Prayut has to clean up from previous 'democratic' governments.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Yes, the Yingluck government and their RTP flunkies were involved heavily in trafficking Rohingya. The story below is from Reuters December 1, 2013 (near the end of the Yingluck administration)

Thai immigration officials said he was being deported to Myanmar. In fact, they sold Ismail, 23, and hundreds of other Rohingya Muslims to human traffickers... Ismail was one of five Rohingya who said that Thai immigration officials had sold him outright or aided in their sale to human traffickers. "It seemed so official at first," said Ismail, a wiry farmer with a long narrow face and tight curly hair. "They took our photographs. They took our fingerprints.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-thailand-rohingya-special-report-idUSBRE9B400320131205

What do you bet that all nearly all those bones are from the Yingluck administration's term of office. That government was prepared to overlook any egregious behavior by the RTP to maintain their loyalty. One of the first policemen to be arrested by the new Prayut government was the head of the CIB, Lt. Gen. Pongpat Chayapan. He must have been so blatant/brazen but it does illustrate just how much the Yingluck government was prepared to overlook to keep the police on its side. Yingluck's chief law enforcement officer, Tarit Pengdith's statement, "We have heard about these camps in southern Thailand, but we are not investigating this issue." is particularly damning.

There has been NO evidence of involvement by the military. No previous Thai government has cracked down on human traffickers as much as the Prayut government. These bones wouldn't be being uncovered if the Prayut government was trying to hide something. These are indisputable facts. General Prayut has had so much to deal with in the past year, it is unfair to single out one problem and complain he has not given it the attention it deserves. Now this problem is in the forefront, it is being dealt with swiftly and efficiently with police transfers, including police brass, and many arrests of traffickers and suspected traffickers. One more thing the Prayut has to clean up from previous 'democratic' governments.

On the contrary in an article on the 19th May from the Thai English language paper we cant quote or link to it stated that four receipts were found in one of the main suspects homes transferring funds to an account of a major general. That a major Thai newspaper should make such an allegation in the current climate of military media control is astonishing they must be very certain of military involvement to make that allegation.

We'er not talking Abount Yingluck or Prayuth. The army have been in charge down there for years and what went on could not have went on without their knowing, ". "You know the border is a military zone", he said. "As a police officer I can do nothing there without military approval."

Edited by metisdead

I think it is inappropriate to bring the Yingluck gov't into the discussion. I remember well the boat load being towed out in a video as Abhisit said it didn't happen.

The south of Thailand is probably one of the most carefully watched areas in the country. The gov't involvement obviously runs deep.

The scary part is the complete acceptance by the gov't and by the people in the area of the inhumanity wreaked upon these people for a few baht.

It is a real eye-opener on the moral state of the Thai kingdom.

I think it is inappropriate to bring the Yingluck gov't into the discussion. I remember well the boat load being towed out in a video as Abhisit said it didn't happen.

The south of Thailand is probably one of the most carefully watched areas in the country. The gov't involvement obviously runs deep.

The scary part is the complete acceptance by the gov't and by the people in the area of the inhumanity wreaked upon these people for a few baht.

The Yingluck Government , agreed there must have been people who at the least complicit as to what was happening as there must be in the present Government .But for people to say the Army are innocent or not responsible is a bit one eyed. I believe there has been Marshall law (Army control) 3 of the 4 provinces since 2004. Songkhla is a border province and the border and border area should in an insurgency be monitored quite stringently

Edited by ExPratt

We'er not talking Abount Yingluck or Prayuth. The army have been in charge down there for years and what went on could not have went on without their knowing, ". "You know the border is a military zone", he said. "As a police officer I can do nothing there without military approval."

"As a police officer I can do nothing there without military approval."

And you believe the word of a Thai police officer? What would you expect a policeman to say, "We police are as corrupt as the day is long and we have profited from drug/human traffickers as we are the ones who interact with the locals"? Really, the military conducts military maneuvers and the police are the ones who interact with the citizenry day in and day out. The military sleep in barracks and the police have their own homes and the freedom to engage in their own scams. A common soldier is not allowed to involve in scams but even the lowliest policeman is and he gets his cut. Soldiers don't get a cut; most are draftees. It is obvious you don't understand the demarcation of mafia rights between the military and the police.

I think it is inappropriate to bring the Yingluck gov't into the discussion.

Tell that to Reuters news agency. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-thailand-rohingya-special-report-idUSBRE9B400320131205 Did you even bother to read the article?

The Prayut government has been in power for only a year. Do you think, with all the other things he has been working on: reform the RTP, reclaim encroached national forests, reform the Civil Service, etc., that he has just invented this trafficking in Rohingya. This has been going on since 2012 when the Burma government began the crackdown on Rohingya and their forced eviction. That was during the Yingluck administration and she would never interfere with the RTP and their corruption because she needed to keep them as allies. As far a Abhisit towing boats out to sea, this exodus happened after Abhisit was out of power. If you can't find a link, possiblly you are conflating your 'facts'.

And you believe the word of a Thai police officer? What would you expect a policeman to say, "We police are as corrupt as the day is long and we have profited from drug/human traffickers as we are the ones who interact with the locals"? Really, the military conducts military maneuvers and the police are the ones who interact with the citizenry day in and day out. The military sleep in barracks and the police have their own homes and the freedom to engage in their own scams. A common soldier is not allowed to involve in scams but even the lowliest policeman is and he gets his cut. Soldiers don't get a cut; most are draftees. It is obvious you don't understand the demarcation of mafia rights between the military and the police.

No , but the Army/ Military were in charge of that area FACT , so its nothing to do with what the Police say ,Marshall law in 3 of the provinces since 2004 and an insurgency to fight

...in any situation...sorry to say.......

...us..........against them.........

....and we are greatly outnumbered.......

....and we have a conscience..........

....me .........against around 2 dozen people.....supporting my wife's efforts to 'send me to the cleaners'..........

...after paying for 12 years......my daughters are gone already........

....I guess I am luckier than the poor woman whose remains they came across........

....but not much.......

...in any situation...sorry to say.......

...us..........against them.........

....and we are greatly outnumbered.......

....and we have a conscience..........

....me .........against around 2 dozen people.....supporting my wife's efforts to 'send me to the cleaners'..........

...after paying for 12 years......my daughters are gone already........

....I guess I am luckier than the poor woman whose remains they came across........

....but not much.......

I think maybe you are letting your difficult and unfortunate situation cloud your thoughts.. You are one hell of a lot better off than that poor pile of bones that once was a woman. Hopefully you will begin to realize that soon. Where there is life there is hope.

Thai immigration officials said he was being deported to Myanmar. In fact, they sold Ismail, 23, and hundreds of other Rohingya Muslims to human traffickers... Ismail was one of five Rohingya who said that Thai immigration officials had sold him outright or aided in their sale to human traffickers. "It seemed so official at first," said Ismail, a wiry farmer with a long narrow face and tight curly hair. "They took our photographs. They took our fingerprints. And then once in the boats, about 20 minutes out at sea, we were told we had been sold."... The Rohingya are then transported across southern Thailand and held hostage in a series of camps hidden near the border with Malaysia until relatives pay thousands of dollars to release them... The Thai authorities say the movement of Rohingya through their country doesn't amount to human trafficking. But in interviews for this story, the Thai Royal Police acknowledged, for the first time, a covert policy called "option two" that relies upon established human-smuggling networks to rid Thailand of Rohingya detainees... Presented with the findings of this report, Thailand's second-highest-ranking policeman made some startling admissions. Thai officials might have profited from Rohingya smuggling in the past, said Police Maj-Gen Chatchawal Suksomjit, Deputy Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police. He also confirmed the existence of illegal camps in southern Thailand, which he called "holding bays"... Tarit Pengdith, chief of the Department of Special Investigation, Thailand's equivalent of the U.S. FBI, was also asked about the camps Reuters discovered. "We have heard about these camps in southern Thailand," he said, "but we are not investigating this issue."

No , but the Army/ Military were in charge of that area FACT , so its nothing to do with what the Police say ,Marshall law in 3 of the provinces since 2004 and an insurgency to fight

Actually it is NOT a fact. The ISOC are & have been in control of the southern insurgency for years now. The ISOC is made up of military, police & rangers and it is & has been under government control.

Having said that, it is incomprehensible that the military didn't know what was going on and equally so that no military officers were not involved. Furthermore the navy have been involved in turning refugee boats away on a number of occasions and not always providing provisions or taking care of seriously ill boat people.

No government, Thaksin owned, Abhisit run or Junta run has any sort of a decent record in dealing with the trafficking issue & it still remains a half-hearted effort, purely to try & project an image to the outside world.

Yep the Army had to know This is Thailand no surprise

Let`s face it, they`re probably all knee deep in the brown stuff anyway!

All the sad, old, fat, greedy `poo yais` from the RTP, military, national and local governments have more than lightly been greasing their palms on the backs of persecuted (now seems sometimes raped and tortured whilst in Thailand) asylum seekers.

Yet we are bound to see some arrests, probably from people set up to take the fall then it`ll all be swept under the carpet, forgotten about and then onto the next `we are serious about corruption and cleaning up Thailand` scandal.

And the fat, old `poo yais` will continue to grease their palms and their hair!

Here is an eye-opener for you on the moral state of the British Royal Kingdom.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/may/23/vietnam-children-trafficking-nail-bar-cannabis

I am looking forward to your comments.

Right, and there will be no evidence of involvement by the military so long as the military runs the country. And if there is evidence (check the BP article dated 19 May, "Police link army man to boat people") both the military government and you will deny that the evidence is credible.

Common sense tells us that there could not have been the movement of thousands of illegal refugees across the heavily militarized south, where the military was supposed to be guarding against illegal infiltrators, unless the military was involved or was incompetent to a degree that boggles the mind.

I would like to dispute your "indisputable facts". Police arresting low level drug transporters does not prove that they want to end the drug trade.

The army uncovering some graves after the news is already out, does not prove anything.

When a general states that "no one from the army is involved" it is easy to come to much different conclusions.

A wise leader would have made a much different statement. "I hope no one under my command is involved in human trafficking, but if they are, we will find out and punish them."

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/may/23/vietnam-children-trafficking-nail-bar-cannabis

You need to grow up and recognize Thailand's responsibility for refugees being kidnapped and held for ransom in something akin to a concentration camp by the 100s. and Being Murdered when the relatives cannot pay.

The article you posted as some kind of defense for Thailand mentions 25.000 pounds fee for the Vietnamese so they would be Economic migrants not refugees and Vietnamese gangs , Traffickers in the UK would use Africa and the middle east they would double the journey and "Ship" people from Vietnam. And of course in this part of the world some parents sell there children to survive. Obviously there are willing customers in the UK many of in criminal activities, but I doubt very much members of the Government, Police or Military.are involved or complicit. Thailand being bottom ,tier 3 of the human trafficking classification should give you a clue as how Thailand is viewed by the rest of the world for human trafficking

You should not be getting upset and indignant because people are critical of what has been allowed to go on here you should realize how wrong it is and not try and push the attention elsewhere

Edited by ExPratt

They should have stayed in France, plenty of work there, or Germany, but no, every one wants to come to the UK for its government hand outs of money, lets hope that all changes now.

I really don't have a comment on the situation in Britain. It's off-topic. There is trafficking and illegal immigration in most reasonably well developed country. I doubt that there will be large number of British Civil Servants involved in the trade and I doubt that they will find mass graves of children or new arrivals put in boats and shoved out to sea. I doubt they will be held for ransom until their family can pay for their safe return or released so they can be trafficked to another country.

The situation in Thailand is unique in that there are a lot of officials that have benefited from this trade. I believe upwards of 50 police were re-assigned. Regardless of what is said, the military is the great overseer of Southern Thailand and there isn't much that takes place without their knowledge, and consent.

The current gov't is extracted largely from the military. This problem first came to light during Abhisit's term. It no doubt existed well before that time. The difference is that scale seems to have increased, as did the profits and the number of people involved. As noted in a previous thread, entire communities profited from bringing food, guarding the camps, etc..

The ASEAN policy of non-interference is not always suitable.

Incredible link you gave us rametindallas, chilling, I could hardly believe it could happens with human being, in such scale, in peace time.sad.png

The Thai`s have known and participated in this willingly for many years so get off your anti red stance, Prayut only doing this because of the threat of Sanctions, You present a case, when in previous government`s and military coop`s going back many many years that happened on a regular basis, pathetic, you must be a true believer in Thainess. and i am not a supporter of either colour

No money in it from the Southern insurgency. Is there.