Some Very Interesting/good News!

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share some VERY interesting news regarding the topic of money requirements for those wishing to extend a Non-Immigrant "O" visa based on marriage to a Thai national. My wife and I just returned from the Immigration Department on Soi Suan Plu this afternoon after applying for an extension on my "O" visa. With regards to the 200,000 or 400,000 Baht requirements for this coming July....the deal is this: ALL people applying for the extension, regardless of how long you've been here, MUST have 400,000 or more in their joint accounts which they share with their spouses. There is NO grandfather clause which lets us long timers get away with only 200,000. This came straight from the immigration officer who is in the process of extending my visa. Sorry to dampen anyone's spirits, but this is what we were told flat out.

There is, however, a positive side to this news...the international money transfers that everyone has always moaned and groaned about over the years DO NOT have to amount to 400,000 or more...this amount must just BE in the bank account at the time you apply for the extension. However, in order to make the whole picture look better, the officer advised us to simply do a few (2-3 maybe) small transfers here and there throughout the year...small amounts like 10,000 Baht here, 15,000 there, etc. This will smooth things over a bit so people won't really question where you got your money from during the year. Transferring in 10 or 20,000 Baht here and there is loads easier/cheaper 400,000!

I hope this information is of good use to any fellow falangs out there. Take care and chok dee!!

With regards to the 200,000 or 400,000 Baht requirements for this coming July....the deal is this: ALL people applying for the extension, regardless of how long you've been here, MUST have 400,000 or more in their joint accounts which they share with their spouses.

thaiboxer, glad you were granted your first one year extension.

there is no requirement i am aware of that YOUR thai bank account be a joint account with your spouse. i don't have my wife's name on my bank account.

There is NO grandfather clause which lets us long timers get away with only 200,000. This came straight from the immigration officer who is in the process of extending my visa. Sorry to dampen anyone's spirits, but this is what we were told flat out.
each case is reviewed individually, don't be suprised as some will be grandfathered after july and others are not. the fact that your officer required 400k in a thai bank for you but for others 200k just a few days ago is an indication just how flexible/unpredictable things are.
There is, however, a positive side to this news...the international money transfers that everyone has always moaned and groaned about over the years DO NOT have to amount to 400,000 or more...this amount must just BE in the bank account at the time you apply for the extension.

this does not suprise me as every extension i have had, the letter from the bank has NEVER mentioned the funds came from abroad . BKK doesn't seem to care, but other offices sometimes do.

When I went for my 1 year marriage visa I was told that the next time I intend to extend my visa to 'top-up the amount to 400k OR bring a embassy certified proof of income over 40k/month'.

So I guess it all depends on where you go and who you talk to.

PS. I stay in Chiang Mai

When I went for my 1 year marriage visa I was told that the next time I intend to extend my visa to 'top-up the amount to 400k OR bring a embassy certified proof of income over 40k/month'.

So I guess it all depends on where you go and who you talk to.

PS. I stay in Chiang Mai

The rules still are that there are no rules. T i T :o

Hi Folks,

It seems that the officers at Soi Suan Plu are back at it with their old tricks...letting some slip by easily on the renewal issue while others are given the hassles so typical when dealing with many Gov people.

Huski, thanks for the info on your experiences...you've had much better luck than many other falangs when it comes to visa extensions. One poster (I believe he was from Chiang Mai or somewhere up there) reported that the Gov folks actually came and inspected the house he and his spouse live in to check for proof of their relationship...that seems a bit overboard. Others are only required to bring in a couple pics to satisfy the officers at Immigration. As Dr. PP says...the rule is that there are no rules:). Trying to do things by the book so often is WORSE than trying to find a needle in a haystack!! Take care everyone! :o

Whiplash,

I'm sorry to here that.I think thats totally an invasion of privacy.Did this happen immediately after applying for your extension?And what did they ask your neighbours?

Thanks!

very rare, but they are asking the neighbors if the applicant is married and really living together.

Partially relevant......I once knew a woman who came to Australia tolive with her Aussie boyfriend. She was from Chile. They became engaged and applied for a visa for her.....the immigration officials gave them ######. Visited their apartment many times, asked things like "what colour is your fiance's toothbrush?" and so on. they looked in the cupboards and drawers and even looked for dirty clothes to be washed.......nothing went unchecked. Big Brother or what ??

So it seems it does not matter where you are, the powers that be are out to check you out.

In view of the fact that there are "no rules" (the Doc is correct) it is worthwhile going in to your local office and asking what they want in order for you to have a visa. I have had 5 one year extensions on the grounds of being married to a Thai and each has gone smoothly though slightly differently. I went in recently to ask what the state of play was this year and got the following list: Marriage cert, passport, bank book with 200,000, certificate from the bank certifying the balance in the bankbook, 2 phots, my wifes ID, tabien ban, and a certificate from a neighbour to state that we are living together as man & wife -together with a copy of the witness's ID card and tabien ban. Seems staraight forward this time round.

Whiplash,

I'm sorry to here that.I think thats totally an invasion of privacy.Did this happen immediately after applying for your extension?And what did they ask your neighbours?

It took a couple of weeks after my application before they came, and a couple more weeks before it was approved..

They wanted a wedding picture too..

They even took a photocopy of my Thai neighbours id-card.. :/

When my charming Immigration officer asked me last week to provide some photos from my condo, I invited her for dinner to take a look for herself. She (unfortunally) declined, telling me that officers in Bangkok don't will visit visa- applicants at their homes.

It seems that the "grandfather law" next year will open the door for many discussions. Some officers will ask for Baht 400,000 rather than Baht 200,000 in a bank account. People insisting on the grandfather clause should hire a (good) Thai lawyer. Despite negative comments about thai Lawyers, some of them are really good in the field and have also the necessary connections.

WC

When I came into the country last November, it was on a 3 month single entry Non-O visa with a big stamp "no extension permitted" at the top. In Feb, when it expired, I went with my husband (Thai) to immigration in Chiang Mai to apply for an extension. We showed our marriage certificate and his business license. That was it. They gave me a month and told me to come back next month. In March I didn't even go. I just gave my passport to my husband and he went for me. They gave me an extension til NOvember and told him they'd give me 3 more months then.

This seems much easier than the stories you guys write about. Is it all going to come to an end for me the next time I apply for an extension, once the new rules have kicked in? It seems to me the immigration officers decide on the spot whether they like you or not, and that determines how easy a time you have getting an extension.

I went with my husband (Thai) to immigration in Chiang Mai to apply for an extension.  We showed our marriage certificate and his business license. That was it. They gave me a month and told me to come back next month. In March I didn't even go. I just gave my passport to my husband and he went for me. They gave me an extension til NOvember and told him they'd give me 3 more months then.

you received a one year extension which it is normal for it to expire one year from your date of entry with your visa. your thai husband and his business license was enough to show support for you.

This seems much easier than the stories you guys write about.
most posts you see are of a farang man married to a thai woman, and is why immigration wants to see some funds in a thai bank for support.
Is it all going to come to an end for me the next time I apply for an extension, once the new rules have kicked in?

i think you will receive another one year extension in november, not 3 months. try and work towards thai citizenship as i believe you have a right to. the process and success, i would be interested in hearing about.

It seems to me the immigration officers decide on the spot whether they like you or not, and that determines how easy a time you have getting an extension.

each case is reviewed individualy, and your clothes and attitude have more influence than many applicants realize.

each case is reviewed individualy, and your clothes and attitude have more influence than many applicants realize.

Amen to that, I can't believe some farangs show up for a visa extension in a sarong and singha tanktop. Seems they make those guys wait for hours for showing up like that.

One poster (I believe he was from Chiang Mai or somewhere up there) reported that the Gov folks actually came and inspected the house he and his spouse live in to check for proof of their relationship...that seems a bit overboard. Others are only required to bring in a couple pics to satisfy the officers at Immigration.

My friend went to BKK immigraton office for apply for 1 year ekstension on his non o visa single entry. They was asking a lot of private things, how they meet, where,when, about his wifes family etc. They was qustions in seperate room.

Well they was satisfied because they have the same story, but that was not enough. They was told that immigration will send the paper to local policestation and they will visit them in their house before he can have his ekstension.

After a couple of week the police came to their house, ask a lot about their relationsship and want to se the bedroom and if their have any picture from parties or family. (Privacy like a jail). But that was not enough, he had to find someone who can come to the policestation and signed and confirmed that they was married and stay together. Family member not works, they prefer people from government.

My friend bring a teacher and police ask him so much so the theacher feel guilty in a crime. Later he was toald thet the police was asked the neighbour too.

When he came back to immigration he was told that this is the new rules for marriage visa eksension and after july he need 400k in the bank or paper from the bank that show 400k was transfer to his account together with paper from his

embassey that confirm he have a pension more 400k pr year.

Well, sounds like these immigration officers have far too much time on their hands. I have been getting extensions for 12 years and have never encountered anything like this. But then, I am friendly with all the local immigration officials, they know me and my husband well, and would probably not bother to come over here on a boat just to check we are still living together. Seems like a ridiculous amount of overkill for a visa.

Yeah, here in ChiangMai they came to visit me and my wife at home, and to talk to neighbours..  :/

Same in Chonburi!!

Sad to hear that there will not be any grandfathering!

I gave up on all this crap 3 years ago after I was refused an extension because I did not have the money in the bank. I did have exchange records from the bank showing I bring in money at the retirement level (800,000) per annum,(much higher that the married level!!) but apparently that did not count!! I earn my money and it does not come in large chunks just to suit their rules.

It appears they cannot even read their own rules which say Income or Money in the bank to value of (200,000).

Mind you, the fact that they are now telling people what will be needed, is a step in the right direction. In the past you had to guess or know what questions to ask. This site is also a great source of information.

I have been quite happily using the One Year multi-entry visa, as my work as a computer consulant takes me in and out quite frequently. If the dates do not work out I can always take a drive to Cambodia for a change of scenery for a few days.

Mind you I have had trouble at times getting the multi-entry visa's. The answer to that, is write to Maj Gen Hemerat at Immigration Suan Plu and complain that the embassy is not following the Immigration Dept rules. I even got a very reluctant apology out of the Thai Consulate in Sydney.

I was thinking of applying for an extension again, but if they will no grandfather the rules, why bother. My present arrangement works just fine.

Does anyone know why every year they require copies of the same documents you provided them with originally, ie marriage certificate, copy of passport information etc.? I can understand an updated bank statement but the rest is just a waste of paper and time.

I also think it is a shame that rules cannot be made that are standard for everyone. One person has no problem and another with essentially the same status, is given the 3rd degree (visit to home, requesting a neighbor you might not know that well to vouch for you and provide a copy of their ID). Now I read that contrary to an earlier post that supposedly confirmed a grandfathering of 200,000 baht for those married to a Thai who have been here a while is not true - at least not for everyone.

I for one, think a person's legal status in a country is too important to make the rules as you go. Why there is not a fair and equal standard for all according to their status in country, is beyond me. It would seem to be a lot easier to implement than the current situation but alas, the LOS is not perfect and this is one of the areas in which it fails and needs repair. Unfortunately, most of the repairs become more problems than the problems they were supposed to fix.

C'est la vie.