UK Passport for my half thai son

Hi all, Swaadee Kap.

Having read countless old topics dated to years back leaves me in utter confusion on what documents I need to submit and also the procedure etc to make a uk passport for my half thai son whom id like to bring here to London, so am seeking any possible advice from people who have gone through this process within the last year or so.

I am the father (british citizen) and am planning to travel to Thailand in july in order to submit an application for his passport.

I know that applications are submitted at the trendy building on sukhumvit soi13 in Bangkok.

I am not married to his mother but we are in a relationship and don't plan on marrying yet.

I have not registered his birth with the British consulate.

My son was born in 2013.

Now I plan on submitting these documents and if I am missing anything can people please advise on this.

Full colour copies of every page of my british passport
colour copies of the main page of my girlfriends and sons thai passport.
colour copy my girlfriends id card along with translation - is this needed

household book (tabien baan) and a colour copy of the original and a translation - both girlfriend and sons

Colour copy of girlfriends birth certificate and translation

Colour copy of sons thai birth certificate and translation

Colour copy of my Long UK birth certificate.

Filled out payment form with uk card details.

now the questions I have:

1) The counter signatory I plan on using is here in the uk but has not met my son personally but has seen him on Skype numerous times -and is a professional. Would this be ok?

2) Do I need any documents with regards to my British parents to submit alongside this application.

3) Do I need to submit any paperwork with regards to the parental responsibility I have for my son. My girlfriend is fully co-operative with anything I need to do with regards to this and is will to go to her local ampur to get anything done if I need it to be submitted with the app.

4) Do I need to get her to sign the copies of her birth certificate, tabien baan and passport and also do I need to sign my own photocopies?

If everything does go smoothly and I do get my sons passport I plan on travelling back with him alone without his mother as she has our business to take care of, so would I need any sort of document from an ampur stating she gives me permission to bring my son back to the uk without her?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

Edited by Jay2013

I received this reply a few days ago via email from VFS in Bangkok, hope it helps:

Document that require for First Child Passport :

Child Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- 2 photograph, white or light grey background with countersign (size 3.5x4.5 cm)

- Non-British passport (If have) ( copy every page)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

Parents Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- Passport (bio-data page)

- Document showing Thai address

- Marriage Certificate(if have)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

- ID card

All documents have to make colour copy and all document that are not in English please fully translate into English with professional translator.

Normally, we not supposed to answer any applicant enquiry, we can be able to confirm with you only for the basic requirement. if you still need any further help please kindly follow the instruction below

Thank you for your passport enquiry.

Getting help with my passport application?

All details on how to apply for a passport and how long it will take can be found at:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

How do I get further help?

Advice on how to apply for a passport and what supporting documents you need to provide can be found by country at:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

If after reading that advice carefully you have further questions you can contact the Passport Advice Line 0044 300 222 0000 or e-mail to [email protected] rather than your local Embassy or High Commission.

The Passport Advice Line is open the following times:

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)

Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Please note that VFS will not be able to respond to any passport enquiries, please use the website or passport advice line.

If you wish to check the progress of your application and completed this on-line,

please log on to https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/

For general enquiries, or to check progress of a paper application,

please contact our advice line on: + 44 (0) 300 222 0000

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected]

Further to the above, to apply for a child's first British passport and the documents required, see Overseas British passport applications

You will need your long form birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, not the short form one which contains only your details.

This is to show whether you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent. As your child was born outside the UK, they will only be British if you are British otherwise than by descent (see here for a brief explanation of the difference).

If you do not have your long form birth certificate you can order one from the GRO. (That link is for people born in England or Wales. If you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland follow the appropriate link from there.)

you don't need a countersignature for overseas applications.

you don't need copies of house book or Thai passports.

Him travelling on a new passport.

You need his Thai birth certificate.

If he doesn't have your surname, copy of mums ID card with permission, her phone number and her signature.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

also, if you were born after 1st january 1983, you will need your parents' birth certificates as well. about £9 each from GRO or £24 for express service

The list of supporting documents for first time applicants born on or after 2 July 2006 refers to Table E; which says "We may need more information for the following:"

May, not will. The information provided does make it clear that they will ask for additional documents if required.

It goes on:

For First Time Applicants:

If your parents were born on or after 1 January 1983

evidence of your grandparents’ claim to British nationality by providing their birth certificates and, in

the case of grandfathers, the marriage certificate to your grandmother, if the certificates are available. (My emphasis)

This does not apply if your parent’s British nationality is based on registration, naturalisation or their

immigration status

I do not know of anyone who has had to supply these; but, of course, that does not mean no one has.

If the OP was born after 1 January 1983 and these certificates are available, it wont hurt to supply them as it will avoid delay if they decide they need them and have to ask for them.

I've just had a chat with my parents and neither have copies of their birth certs as they were both born abroad.

My mum has her naturalisation certificate but my father doesn't have one because he was British due to his father being British but didn't make a uk style birth cert as his foreign birth cert was enough to make his British passport back then, which he also now doesn't have as it was destroyed in a house fire.

they do have a uk marriage cert however.

would writing a cover letter and explaining this and also attaching copies of their marriage cert, my mums naturalisation cert and photocopies of my fathers British passport suffice as evidence of my parents being British?

im a 29 year old man and have a british passport and for what reason they need my parents documents is beyond me if I already have a British passport myself :S annoying to say the least.

As I said, although it says in the guide that if born after 1 Jan 1983 the applicant's grandparents birth certificate may be required; I have never heard of anyone being asked for them.

In your position I'd submit the application without any of your parent's documents; the worst that'll happen is they will come back and ask for them which will delay the application.

But if you want to write such a letter then it wont hurt.

The reason why they may want to see them is to confirm whether or not you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent; but your birth certificate should tell them that.

As I said, although it says in the guide that if born after 1 Jan 1983 the applicant's grandparents birth certificate may be required; I have never heard of anyone being asked for them.

<snip>

The reason why they may want to see them is to confirm whether or not you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent; but your birth certificate should tell them that.

The only reason they should want them is if they suspect Jay2013 was issued a British citizen's passport in error. His grandparents' birth places have no bearing on whether Jay2013 is British other than by descent.

• Like 1

<snip>

The only reason they should want them is if they suspect Jay2013 was issued a British citizen's passport in error. His grandparents' birth places have no bearing on whether Jay2013 is British other than by descent.

True, Richard; but it is the applicant's grandparents we are talking about; and the applicant is Jay's son.

So it is Jay's parents' certificates which may be required, not his grandparents.

I brought my two sons to England in 2011, they had Thai mother but me as a British father, British passports only required

Yes, as British citizens they only needed a British passports.

Indeed, strictly speaking any application for a UK visa by a British citizen should be refused; see UK Visa for child entitled to UK Citizenship

Register Birth at the British Embassy

This has never been a requirement, Register a birth abroad

You don’t need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland

you can order a consular birth registration certificate

You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

Questions 1,2,3,4, and additional....all NO

What form are you talking about?

It certainly isn't the passport application form.

there going to ask you to send all original documents would be my guess , Trendy took the copies and sent them off then I got a letter asking for My passport my sons passport and all original document

If your son was born in Thailand then he is British by descent , if you were British by Birth (Born in UK yourself) British by descent only passes one Generation

You may be lucky enough to be sent a Domicile form to fill in

I just spent six months squabbling with the tossers because even thou I have Sole custody of my Son they still insisted on my Ex wifes Birth certificate who I have not seen or heard of for 12 years

• Like 1

what a bunch of shit! Complicating matters for no good reason.

my uk style long birth cert states both my parents were not born in the uk.

I called the passport advice line and the person I spoke to didn't have a clue what to tell me in the case of me not being able to provide my parents birth certs.

I guess I will just have to attach a cover letter stating I don't have copies of my rents birth certs but will attach copies of their marriage cert and british passports. Hopefully this will be enough.

there going to ask you to send all original documents would be my guess , Trendy took the copies and sent them off then I got a letter asking for My passport my sons passport and all original document

If your son was born in Thailand then he is British by descent , if you were British by Birth (Born in UK yourself) British by descent only passes one Generation

You may be lucky enough to be sent a Domicile form to fill in

I just spent six months squabbling with the tossers because even thou I have Sole custody of my Son they still insisted on my Ex wifes Birth certificate who I have not seen or heard of for 12 years

I think your situation is slightly different to mines. I have access to all the documents needed from my fiancé.

the only thing I don't have access to is my parents birth certificates which I don't understand why they would want as im providing copies of my british passport already along with my uk birth cert :/

I've just had a chat with my parents and neither have copies of their birth certs as they were both born abroad.

My mum has her naturalisation certificate but my father doesn't have one because he was British due to his father being British but didn't make a uk style birth cert as his foreign birth cert was enough to make his British passport back then, which he also now doesn't have as it was destroyed in a house fire.

would writing a cover letter and explaining this and also attaching copies of their marriage cert, my mums naturalisation cert and photocopies of my fathers British passport suffice as evidence of my parents being British?

im a 29 year old man and have a british passport and for what reason they need my parents documents is beyond me if I already have a British passport myself :S annoying to say the least.

Unfortunately,

You are British by descent, and therefore not entitled to pass on your British nationality.

(unless you can provide evidence you have also lived in the UK for 5 years ...... maybe)

Sounds like your father was British by descent too, so don't know how you became British either.

(Maybe you were born in one of the excluded territories)

Britain doesn't seem to like British born outside the UK.

(my son has the same problem, British with British passport, born in Thailand, so can't pass British nationality on to his children)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Unfortunately,

You are British by descent, and therefore not entitled to pass on your British nationality.

(unless you can provide evidence you have also lived in the UK for 5 years ...... maybe)

Sounds like your father was British by descent too, so don't know how you became British either.

(Maybe you were born in one of the excluded territories)

Are you kidding me? My father was born british as his parents were already british at the time of his birth, he just wasn't born in England but a qualifying territory. Im born and bred in England and your telling me my son is not entitled to a british passport? I find that extremely hard to believe and accept.

just been on the phone to the home office and have been told my son is 100% british by descent as at the time of my birth in 1986 only one of my parents had to be British in order for me to pass on my British nationality by one generation smile.png THANK GOD FOR THAT.

Edited by Jay2013
  • Like 1

just been on the phone to the home office and have been told my son is 100% british by descent as at the time of my birth in 1986 only one of my parents had to be British in order for me to pass on my British nationality by one generation smile.png THANK FOR THAT.

Well done. (you hadn't previously mentioned that you were born in the UK)

Now for the next problem, of your son (born outside the UK) & classed as 'British by descent' not being entitled to pass his British nationality on.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Britain doesn't seem to like British born outside the UK.

(my son has the same problem, British with British passport, born in Thailand, so can't pass British nationality on to his children)

Im however british with british passport, born in the uk, so that gives me the right to pass my nationality to my son by 1 generation. You scared the wits out of me for a second and I just called the home office to confirm his right to be british.

Edited by Jay2013
  • Like 1

just been on the phone to the home office and have been told my son is 100% british by descent as at the time of my birth in 1986 only one of my parents had to be British in order for me to pass on my British nationality by one generation smile.png THANK FOR THAT.

Well done. (you hadn't previously mentioned that you were born in the UK)

Now for the next problem, of your son (born outside the UK) & classed as 'British by descent' not being entitled to pass his British nationality on.

utterly stupid law imo. Il just make sure he knows that his kids have to be born in England and not abroad.

• Like 1

right I've just been on the phone to the overseas passport team and this time had a chat to someone who actually knew what he was on about.

He said all I have to do if I don't have my parents birth certs is attach a covering letter explaining my claims to british nationality at the time of my birth (otherwise then by descent as my father was british at the time of my birth), and provide photocopies of my parents passports and my mums natrualisation cert and this will show the right my son has to be a british national.

right I've just been on the phone to the overseas passport team and this time had a chat to someone who actually knew what he was on about.

He said all I have to do if I don't have my parents birth certs is attach a covering letter explaining my claims to british nationality at the time of my birth (otherwise then by descent as my father was british at the time of my birth), and provide photocopies of my parents passports and my mums natrualisation cert and this will show the right my son has to be a british national.

(7by7 emphasis)

NO; you are not British otherwise than by descent because your father was British at the time of your birth!

You are British otherwise than by descent because your father was British at the time of your birth AND you were born in the UK!

You don't want the passport office to make the same error as MaeJoMTB did and assume that you were born outside the UK (or a qualifying territory) and so are British by descent.

The following is mainly conjecture on my part; I have not researched it properly.

I think, but am by no means certain, that the reason why someone who is British by descent cannot pass their British nationality onto their children unless those children are born in the UK or a qualifying territory or the British parent is serving abroad in HM Forces, Crown service or similar goes way back to the break up of the British Empire.

The British Nationality Act 1948 established the status of Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC). Until the early 1960s there was little difference, if any, in UK law between the rights of CUKCs and other British subjects, all of whom had the right at any time to enter and live in the UK.

When a lot of colonies gained their independence in the 1960s, citizens of that new country had the choice of turning their CUKC status into British citizenship or becoming citizens of the new, independent country.

My guess is that this "British citizenship can only descend one generation' rule was introduced in one of the various nationality acts, probably the 1971 one, to stop the children, grandchildren etc. of those who took British citizenship at that time but had never moved to the UK automatically becoming British.

But, as I said, this is pure conjecture on my part. If anyone knows the actual reason for this rule, I, for one, would be very interested to hear it.

• Like 2

(7by7 emphasis)

NO; you are not British otherwise than by descent because your father was British at the time of your birth!

You are British otherwise than by descent because your father was British at the time of your birth AND you were born in the UK!

Thank you for correcting me and saving me from making a mistake in my cover letter.

• Like 2

what a bunch of shit! Complicating matters for no good reason.

my uk style long birth cert states both my parents were not born in the uk.

I called the passport advice line and the person I spoke to didn't have a clue what to tell me in the case of me not being able to provide my parents birth certs.

I guess I will just have to attach a cover letter stating I don't have copies of my rents birth certs but will attach copies of their marriage cert and british passports. Hopefully this will be enough.

The people you spoke to are customer service , they have no idea or access to you application , nice people but clueless. If you have your British birth cert you would also fill in a section on application, You wont need them if you are British by birth(Born in UK )you should not have a problem with this issue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps

I want to apply for a passport for my son. I am a British National and my wife is Thai. My son was born in Thailand, does he need to apply for a Thai passport first or can I go ahead and apply for the British passport?

I have been on the UK passport site, but it doesn’t make it clear if he needs to obtain the Thai passport before applying for the the British one. Also I am working in Saudi Arabia and my kid is in Thailand.

Anyone guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sam Coyle

Hi Chaps

I want to apply for a passport for my son. I am a British National and my wife is Thai. My son was born in Thailand, does he need to apply for a Thai passport first or can I go ahead and apply for the British passport?

I have been on the UK passport site, but it doesn’t make it clear if he needs to obtain the Thai passport before applying for the the British one. Also I am working in Saudi Arabia and my kid is in Thailand.

Anyone guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sam Coyle

NO, he doesn't need a thai passport in order to apply for a british one.