Is it legal to make bonfires in thailand ?

popje

I would not rely on advice from a bunch of grumpy, old, sarcastic, and critical expats who have no real knowledge of Thai law for advice.

Why not stop by the local police station and ask them, or call the police in the area you want to have your bonfire?

Maybe there is a permit you can get to cover your butt?

Maybe it will cost a couple of hundred baht to get it?

Seriously, I would not ask the TV ( Thai Viscous ) gang for advice about Thai laws!

They can tell you how they think the laws should be, or how the laws are "where they come from",, but probably no accurate information on what the laws are in Thailand.

Good luck!

Like I said in one of my post, the reason I didn't ask a cop/local yet is because I am not in thailand yet! I was just wondering and thought you guys would know, I will make sure I ask when I get there. I just thought there would be some specific laws in thailand about bonfires like in my country, seems like there is no specific laws about that, I guess I'll find out for sure when I get there.

Edited by popje

No, it's a phenomena where carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels and wood get trapped in the earth's atmosphere which acts like a blanket, and causes the planet to heat up.

It's blamed for things like melting glaciers and ice caps, extreme weather, rising sea levels, population displacement, crop failure, famines, etc.

I've enjoyed a bonfire or two in my lifetime as well, but nowadays I would question how viable a form of recreation it is from an ecological standpoint.

I was being sarcastic..

Decomposing wood and organic matter release the same amount of Co2 into the atmosphere as the same material will release when it is burned.

Burning just releases it faster.

Science rules..

OP:

I was aware that you were being sarcastic. I was also aware that you seem to be oblivious that bon fires are not without an environmental cost. By the way, I hope you make arrangements to clean up the mess left after you've enjoyed yourself. I'm no politically correct hyper vigilant environmentalist, but seriously, OP, you can't find a more environmentally friendly way to enjoy your visit to Thailand than lighting a bon fire? What are you a pyromaniac or something?

Williumii:

I guess, according to you, then the annual burning up North is A-OK? Burning just releases it faster. Just a small minor detail. And by the way, Bill Nye the Science Guy, if what you say is true, why, pray tell, do you think the Alps glaciers and the Artic ice cap are melting? Or are you another global warming denialist who ignores the overwhelming consensus of scientists that the burning of fossil fuels is causing global warming? I'm listening to news reports as we speak that the temperature in India hit 47 Celsius! I would say climate change is one of the biggest threats to the livability of Thailand. It's the younger and future generations who are going to pay the heaviest price for ignoring this threat, not your favorite straw men, the "grumpy, sarcastic, old men of TVF."

Edited by Gecko123

OP:

You ever hear of global warming?

No, never, is it some kind of high temperature weather than could affect my bonfires ? Like make them dangerous or something ?

No, it's a phenomena where carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels and wood get trapped in the earth's atmosphere which acts like a blanket, and causes the planet to heat up.

It's blamed for things like melting glaciers and ice caps, extreme weather, rising sea levels, population displacement, crop failure, famines, etc.

I've enjoyed a bonfire or two in my lifetime as well, but nowadays I would question how viable a form of recreation it is from an ecological standpoint.

I was being sarcastic..

Decomposing wood and organic matter release the same amount of Co2 into the atmosphere as the same material will release when it is burned.

Science rules..

...and we get more concentrated toxins in just that one burning season, whereas decomposing vegetation would give us some fresher air to breathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea as to legal or not, but in rural Thailand I would say its "a way of life", happens everyday at dusk in almost every village I have seen.

What's legal.

1. Helmets on motor cycle.

2. Only 2 on a motorcycle.

3. No riding sidesaddle.

4. Abiding by all road rules.

5. Not going down street the wrong way.

I could go on & on & on. Who gives a shit ?

Bonfires...... who cares ???????

Every morning as well as every evening in my village.

A Thai "must do"

Cheers..... Mal.

My teelak says tee ban dai ka, tee beach mai loo ah...

To answer properly, I don't believe if she knew whether it was permitted or not anyway.

I have rarely seen fires on accessible beaches, especially not on densely populated ones even at those times of year, only fires I've seen in the open are related to Agricultural activities

I was being sarcastic..

Science rules..

OP:

I was aware that you were being sarcastic. I was also aware that you seem to be oblivious that bon fires are not without an environmental cost. By the way, I hope you make arrangements to clean up the mess left after you've enjoyed yourself. I'm no politically correct hyper vigilant environmentalist, but seriously, OP, you can't find a more environmentally friendly way to enjoy your visit to Thailand than lighting a bon fire? What are you a pyromaniac or something?

Williumii:

I guess, according to you, then the annual burning up North is A-OK? Burning just releases it faster. Just a small minor detail. And by the way, Bill Nye the Science Guy, if what you say is true, why, pray tell, do you think the Alps glaciers and the Artic ice cap are melting? Or are you another global warming denialist who ignores the overwhelming consensus of scientists that the burning of fossil fuels is causing global warming? I'm listening to news reports as we speak that the temperature in India hit 47 Celsius! I would say climate change is one of the biggest threats to the livability of Thailand. It's the younger and future generations who are going to pay the heaviest price for ignoring this threat, not your favorite straw men, the "grumpy, sarcastic, old men of TVF."

I might not be environmental friendly but I am not an <deleted>, I always clean up behind me and make sure it looks like no one been there, like that no one is pissed, no one have to clean up after me and people won't mind me going back.