2 dead in Pattaya Highway crash

webfact

2 dead in Pattaya Highway crash

highway-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Two factory workers from Rayong Province were killed as their bike was struck by an 18-wheel truck on the dangerous Highway 331 in the Huay Yai area late on Monday Night.

Police and medics rushed to the scene of the crash and found the bike driver; Khun Jumlern aged 53 and his passenger, also thought to be aged in his fifties, lying dead on the road.

The truck driver, Khun Natachai aged 28 remained at the scene and told Police that he was returning from a trip to Bowin District in Chonburi where he delivered a consignment of fish. He claimed the bike came across his path and he was unable to brake in-time and could not avoid a head-on collision with the bike.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/197648/2-dead-in-pattaya-highway-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-05-27

There is no such thing as a dangerous highway, we drive according to the conditions. There is only the dangerous driver. Stop blaming, or insinuating roads, weather and such like. We all know what the problem is - Thai driving.

I would think by definition a dangerous highway is one that statically has many accidents for whatever reason. 80% of statistics are pulled directly out of an anus... What's wrong with saying "many" or another term that doesn't imply someone standing in the dangerous road interviewing and testing drivers at night.

There is no such thing as a dangerous highway, we drive according to the conditions. There is only the dangerous driver. Stop blaming, or insinuating roads, weather and such like. We all know what the problem is - Thai driving.

I cannot comment on this incident, but IMHO, Thai roads must be to blame on some occasions where motorbikes are concerned.

Of the 60 or so Thai fatalities on motorbikes every day, it would be very interesting to know how many of these were due or partly

due to roads with ridges, potholes, gravel etc.

I would also point out that so many motorcyclists ride too fast not taking road conditions into account.

I cannot comment on this incident, but IMHO, Thai roads must be to blame on some occasions where motorbikes are concerned.

Of the 60 or so Thai fatalities on motorbikes every day, it would be very interesting to know how many of these were due or partly

due to roads with ridges, potholes, gravel etc.

I would also point out that so many motorcyclists ride too fast not taking road conditions into account.

So it isnt really the road, as bad as its condition may be, it is the Valentino Rossi's that use it. (My apology to Valentino I know he is a very safe motor bike rider)

...could be the coveted Tai practice of "counterflow."

This is polite euphemism for "wrong way traffic."

Let's posit that a truck is southbound on 331 heading towards U-Tapao. A motorbike is doing a "counterflow"

manuver, heading north in the bicycle, samlor, pedestrian lane. The "g-a-p---generally accepted practice" is that the counterflow traffic has working head and tail lamps and an operational BLINKER. They go slow. The blinker alerts oncoming

traffic that it is indeed IN THE LANE.

Yes, all counterflow is dangerous, but we see it practiced daily everywhere in muang Tai--especially is if it a large divided highway. The truck driver could be overtaken by all the

speedsters impatient behind his lorry. To accommodate the passing vehicles, the lorry driver drops a wheel into this spare lane. Counterflow space gets used up. The motorcyclists most likely had no headlamp and no blinker.

All supposition.

The shocking deal about Thailand in general? It is physically impossible for two or more vehicles to occupy the

same space at the same time. But they keep trying!

Condolences to the families of the deceased.....