hemp - legal status

boomerangutang

Hemp is the non-THC relative of pot / ganga / marijuana. As you probably know, it's useful for 1,000 practical things, including; building materials, cosmetics, nutritious oil/food, furniture padding, rope, jeans, etc.

The US has banned it (growing, possessing, vending) since pot/cocaine/opiates were made illegal in the 1930's (they bundled everything except alcohol in the same criminalizing category: illegal).

Since that time, Thailand has followed the US re; drug laws, mainly because the US's DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) is so heavy-handed with insisting every country in the US's influence kow-tow to US drug edicts. So, hemp is currently illegal in Thailand in the same way it's illegal in the US.

DEA spends billions of dollars directly and indirectly (giving humvees and tractors to Thailand, for example) - to ensure its policies are followed.

Dozens of other countries, however, view hemp in a more reasonable way, and allow its cultivation and use for its many useful products: China, Canada, Australia, half of Europe.

Yet, there is a silver lining. The US is coming to its senses re; hemp. It was grown legally in three states last year; Kentucky, Vermont and Colorado. And half the remaining states have legislation pending which will legalize the farming of hemp. The tide is rolling.

I wrote to my Senator from California, Ms Feinstein, and asked her to get active in that regard. She wrote back to say 'no' - using archaic/conservative reasoning which indicated she didn't know much about the issue. Similarly, when Romney was running for prez, he was asked about hemp, and he just grinned and said he didn't know diddly-squat about it. Yet, as flummoxed as top US politicians are about hemp, Thai politicians know even less.

If Thailand's politicians ever take a moment to not focus on money, golf, mia noi, and maintaining political power, they just might do a bit of research on hemp. They just might find out how China (to use just one example) has a robust hemp industry, and that Thai farmers could benefit greatly by being allowed to grow hemp. Hemp would be a better crop than rice for a variety of reasons. Even if hemp was only good for its food and oil (and not the plethora of other uses), it would outshine rice, as hemp is much more nutritious, uses less water, and grows on marginal soil.

Come on Thailand. 'Just say NO' to the heavy-handed DEA with its head in the sand. Do something to help Thai farmers, instead of just lip service or political hand-out money.

From the above OP Post #1: I wrote to my Senator from California, Ms Feinstein, and asked her to get active in that regard. She wrote back to say 'no' - using archaic/conservative reasoning which indicated she didn't know much about the issue.

Oh come now. DiFi has been a US Senator now for 23 years from a state with a near $US 40+ billion per year agricultural economy. How could you expect her and her staff to know as much about the issue as you do?

From the above OP Post #1: I wrote to my Senator from California, Ms Feinstein, and asked her to get active in that regard. She wrote back to say 'no' - using archaic/conservative reasoning which indicated she didn't know much about the issue.

Oh come now. DiFi has been a US Senator now for 23 years from a state with a near $US 40+ billion per year agricultural economy. How could you expect her and her staff to know as much about the issue as you do?

They are too busy growing pot to be bothered with hemp in Kalifornia.

I know how you try to find fault with each of my posts, but I could show you the letter I rec'd from her. It looks like it was written in 1932 - with the same sort of justification for maintaining the ban on hemp as you might expect from an old fogey stuck in archaic ways of thinking - including not knowing hemp is 99% THC-free.

Romney was even more out-of-the-loop. The questioner asked him twice what his ideas were about legalizing the farming of hemp, and each time R responded with a grin "hemp ....what is that?"

California is big enough to support growing various types of crops. Because of the on-going drought there, hemp would be smart, because it's not a water guzzler. Incidentally, each almond harvested in CA took a gallon of water to grow.

But, the OP is primarily about how hemp should be allowed to be farmed in Thailand. Both responses, thus far, only mention peripheral tangent re; California. Address the topic, if you can.

OK -- I think they should plant hemp in the rough of all the golf courses those corrupt politicians play on with their mia nois driving the golf carts.

Is it possible that someday you might make a post or start a topic that does not belittle somebody be it the RTP on their handling of murder investigations or the search for missing airplanes or the use of artificial sweeteners in diet soda or now an experienced US Senator wherein you do not claim to know more about the subject and have a higher moral compass than those who actually have a responsibility for carrying out such measures?

Edited by JLCrab

OK -- I think they should plant hemp in the rough of all the golf courses those corrupt politicians play on with their mia nois driving the golf carts.

Is it possible that someday you might make a post or start a topic that does not belittle somebody be it the RTP on their handling of murder investigations or the search for missing airplanes or the use of artificial sweeteners in diet soda or now an experienced US Senator wherein you do not claim to know more about the subject and have a higher moral compass than those who actually have a responsibility for carrying out such measures?

Hey guys it is really nice to see you are getting to know each other and get along and becoming such close friends. Arn't forums great

California is big enough to support growing various types of crops. Because of the on-going drought there, hemp would be smart, because it's not a water guzzler. Incidentally, each almond harvested in CA took a gallon of water to grow.

But, the OP is primarily about how hemp should be allowed to be farmed in Thailand. Both responses, thus far, only mention peripheral tangent re; California. Address the topic, if you can.

I grew up on a 4,000 acre (10,000 rai) farm and cattle ranch. About 1/2 of it was cropland and about 1/2 grazing. It still belongs to my family.

How much do you really know about farming?

Since 2009 growing industrial Hemp is legal in Thailand. A friend of mine is involved in a royal project up north where they grow hemp.

good to know! Can anyone grow it, or is a permit needed? where to get seed?

I grew up on a 4,000 acre (10,000 rai) farm and cattle ranch. About 1/2 of it was cropland and about 1/2 grazing. It still belongs to my family.

What's this now, a pissing contest?

If you no like my opinions, you don't have to read 'em all. Put me on 'ignore' and you won't get your feathers ruffled so often.

If you no like my opinions, you don't have to read 'em all. Put me on 'ignore' and you won't get your feathers ruffled so often.

They aren't opinions; they are fantasies and I enjoy reading fantasies.

Edited by JLCrab

What's this now, a pissing contest?

No, you opened a thread and appear to have your mind made up about something. I simply think you're mistaken.

Why Legalized Hemp Will Not Be a Miracle Crop

But “thriving” doesn’t mean “huge” — not by a longshot.

Worldwide, only about 200,000 acres of land were devoted to hemp cultivation in 2011, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization, with that number being “flat to decreasing” in recent years in the 30 countries where hemp is cultivated.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/10/legal-industrial-hemp-wont-matter/

BTW I didn't grow up on a farm like the Oregon kid, but my first travels to PRChina in the late 1980's were at the invitation of the Ministry of Agriculture in Beijing.

Edited by JLCrab

Hemp requires a tremendous investment by someone in processing facilities. It isn't enough just to grow it. Without processing there isn't much use for it.

It takes several processes to strip the hemp fibers from the plant, leaving the core which is wood like. The wood makes fine paper and even chipboard. The seeds can be rolled for vegetable oil. The fiber can make rope or great clothing. There are lots of products which can be made from it, but the "factories" to do that are beyond the scope of farmers.

As in so many other crops, if people start growing it and there's money in it, then the neighbors grow it and there's a glut. How many times have we seen that? Introducing hemp growing as The Next Big Deal to Thais would wind up right where rubber has because not long ago it was The Next Big Deal.

At one time rice was The Next Big Deal so there's a worldwide glut of it.

I remember when peppermint was The Next Big Deal in the Pacific Northwest in the US and every farmer wanted to grow it because the climate was great for it and the returns were very good. Of course when too many tried to get in on it the price dropped just like rice and rubber have in Thailand. It's always feast or famine.

I'm tired right now, LOL. Bottom line is that unless someone makes a massive investment in processing plants there is no market for the hemp. If someone makes the investment and the price goes down due to glut... And so it ever is with farming. It's feast or famine and too often it's famine.

What's needed of course is diversity and crop rotation but when farmers rotate out of hemp for a couple of years they damage the investments in processing.

Edited by NeverSure

With all the arguing, bitching and a crash course in US politics, I am failing to see how this topic is still supposed to be about Thailand

What are we supposed to be discussing again?

Hemp as the new miracle crop for Thailand.

Hemp requires a tremendous investment by someone in processing facilities. It isn't enough just to grow it. Without processing there isn't much use for it.

It takes several processes to strip the hemp fibers from the plant, leaving the core which is wood like. The wood makes fine paper and even chipboard. The seeds can be rolled for vegetable oil. The fiber can make rope or great clothing. There are lots of products which can be made from it, but the "factories" to do that are beyond the scope of farmers.

As in so many other crops, if people start growing it and there's money in it, then the neighbors grow it and there's a glut. How many times have we seen that? Introducing hemp growing as The Next Big Deal to Thais would wind up right where rubber has because not long ago it was The Next Big Deal.

At one time rice was The Next Big Deal so there's a worldwide glut of it.

I remember when peppermint was The Next Big Deal in the Pacific Northwest in the US and every farmer wanted to grow it because the climate was great for it and the returns were very good. Of course when too many tried to get in on it the price dropped just like rice and rubber have in Thailand. It's always feast or famine.

I'm tired right now, LOL. Bottom line is that unless someone makes a massive investment in processing plants there is no market for the hemp. If someone makes the investment and the price goes down due to glut... And so it ever is with farming. It's feast or famine and too often it's famine.

What's needed of course is diversity and crop rotation but when farmers rotate out of hemp for a couple of years they damage the investments in processing.

Farmers don't need to individually process hemp. There can be regional processing facilities, where farmers bring their crop. For example, in Mexico there are many farmers who grow sugar cane. They don't each have facilities, but instead you'll see lines of trucks driving to the processing center - and there selling their crop.

Hemp is multiple use. For example: after the seed is taken - which can be used for oil of for a breakfast cereal (already marketed in some regions as 'Hemp Nuts' - high in omega-3). The hurd has value for furniture stuffing (and other things). The spent canes could be used to make rope, or construction panels, or used as fuel - to possibly power a power generator or heating facility. I'm not saying all those uses need to be employed, but rather just giving some examples of how useful the plant is on several levels.

The only person to use the term 'miracle crop' in this thread is JLcrab. All crops have drawbacks. Don't get me started, but I could go on for pages about the drawbacks of pig and steer farms, and I'm not a strict vegetarian. Rice is the favored crop in Thailand, but it too has drawbacks - too many to list here (we could start with: 'starch, nearly devoid of nutrition').

With all the arguing, bitching and a crash course in US politics, I am failing to see how this topic is still supposed to be about Thailand

Have your read the opening post? It's about how Thai farmers should be allowed to grow hemp if they so choose. One poster piped in and mentioned there is already some hemp farming going on in Thailand. If so, that's encouraging news. I've known the queen has been in favor of hemp farming for over ten years, but didn't know whether anything tangible was being done in that regard.

Have your read the opening post? It's about how Thai farmers should be allowed to grow hemp if they so choose. One poster piped in and mentioned there is already some hemp farming going on in Thailand. If so, that's encouraging news. I've known the queen has been in favor of hemp farming for over ten years, but didn't know whether anything tangible was being done in that regard.

I read the opening post -- It is about how Boomer knows more than Senator Dianne Feinstein.

The Kanchong (Thai for hemp) Project was launched in 2000 as a royal initiative

BTW http://www.qsbg.org/NewWeb2554/indexEng_Research_8.asp

BTW2 I also liked the part in the OP's Post #1 that the Thai politicians -- instead of playing golf and screwing their mia nois -- should spend more time researching hemp production like "What are you going to do this weekend Somchai -- play golf or research hemp production?"

Edited by JLCrab

I just did a bit of googling, and came up with some comparisons between rice and hemp. . . .

vitamin A: rice = 0% hemp = 6%

total fatty acids: rice = 1% hemp = 11%

carbs (starch): rice = 15% hemp = 1%

rice has no vitamins; B12 or D. Hemp does.

Re; the essential fatty acids in hemp: "...has Omega-3 Linolenic Acid and Omega-6 Linoleic Acid, as well as the hard-to-get Gamma-Linoleic Acid. While most foods have little if any, Hemp is over 36% Essential Fatty Acids, and in nature's perfect balance of 1-to-3 omega-3:omega-6. It contains 31% complete and highly-digestible protein, 1/3 as edestin protein and 2/3 as albumin protein." source

Thanks JL, that's an interesting article, though it looks as tho it hasn't been updated for 30 months. One would hope they would also look to other countries for appropriate seed stock, tho there is a mention of Vietnam. Would still be interesting to get seed available to farmers. Is that happening yet? It's possible DEA is trying to squelch developments in Thailand. I don't know. They're involved on many levels in their manic 'War on Drugs.'

Today there is a worldwide market for rice. Today there is not a worldwide market for hemp. In order for farmers to grow a crop for which there is no ready market, there would have to be subsidies. Big subsidies.

Maybe along with the DEA it's the Big Oil companies and maybe Georgia Pacific and the pulp producers (You know, the evil Koch Brothers) and maybe Kellogg's doesn't want to have Corn Flakes be rendered as sub-standard, and ...

Double A Paper in Thailand has a family-farm growing scheme where they got the farmers to grow a new crop because they promised to buy everything the farmers could grow that met quality standards:

http://www.doubleapaper.com/index.php/fiber-from-family-farms

http://www.doubleapaper.com/index.php/raising-papertrees

Edited by JLCrab