Re-entering at Ranong with Non B visa but no work permit

For most of the 20 years I lived here I had a work permit. A couple of years ago I went back to the US for a while. No more work permit needed or wanted.

I'm back in Thailand spending time with my kid and doing some research for a product I'm launching in the States. I came in last December with a one-year multiple entry visa I got in New York. My US passport was renewed last year and hardly has any stamps in it.

I stamped out at Ranong a couple of months ago and when I went to stamp back in, immigration asked me why I didn't have a work permit. I explained I wasn't working. He grumbled but let me through.

I'm not quite ready to return to the States, and now it's time to stamp out again and re-enter. My non B stamp is still good until December, but I am a little nervous.

Has anyone heard any stories of someone in my situation being denied re-entry for lack of a work permit?

At Ranong normally the problem is leaving the country since there is no where you can go if they deny you entry. There were reports last year of people that were not allowed to leave with a multiple entry non-b and no work permit.

I would try the crossing again. If they let you leave they will let you back in the country.

Perhaps try the Andaman club crossing. Reports are that they can be a bit more friendly there.

Right, and that would be me in my current situation.

I think I just got an overly zealous officer down at the river. Next time I plan to go by way of the Andaman Club.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Eggmeng

Lately also at Andaman Club they asked for the WP and checked it, me and some friends experienced the same. Talking about the last 4 to 5 months.

No idea what happens if you don't have a WP but a Non B multiple entry.

I have a multi Non-B visa without Work Permit - did not have any problem last time when I went out and in again at Ranong despite reports that I might. No-one asked anything. Generally, a multiple Non-B visa issued from USA or UK will show that you are in Thailand for genuine business purposes representing an overseas company and that does not require a work permit. If they ask again, I suggest you just tell them that you are a visiting businessman and don't need a work permit. Of course, there's no guarantee they will listen or apply the normal immigration rules

Edited by doublephil

Lately also at Andaman Club they asked for the WP and checked it, me and some friends experienced the same. Talking about the last 4 to 5 months.

No idea what happens if you don't have a WP but a Non B multiple entry.

In my experience, it used to be that you had to get a non B outside of Thailand with paperwork from your perspective employer

before entering the country, and then your employer would get you the work permit.

Don't you need the non B before you can get a work permit anymore?

I don't know where you live, but if you want to be 100% sure not to be hassled, you need to fly in. I am in your exact situation and I was tempted to go to Ranong, but I heard people who got denied, I didn't want to take any chance. I flew out to KL from Phuket twice, first time I spent 2 night in KL, second time only 1. No question asked at immigration. I booked the flight in advance, so in the end the difference in cost was minimal.

Good luck!

I think I just got an overly zealous officer down at the river. Next time I plan to go by way of the Andaman Club.

Thanks guys.

There's a few too many zealots these days. I have only encountered one really nice IO. Unfortunately it was when I was leaving not entering. Maybe that's why he was so happy : /

Thanks guys.

There's a few too many zealots these days. I have only encountered one really nice IO. Unfortunately it was when I was leaving not entering. Maybe that's why he was so happy : /

I have found the female customs officers to be quite aggressive now when entering on my own , so i try get the male officers. Arrival at the end of the week they usually a bit more easy going , albeit swampy and DM only.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Ranong, with another 90 day stamp.

I have a good (and legitimate) business reason to be here, but I was both lectured and warned by immigration at the Andaman Club, who told me they were bending the law and would not do so again.

I don't think I would recommend trying this to anyone who doesn't have considerable powers of persuasion (and charm), and I won't be trying it again with the expectation of being let back in with more than a 30 day tourist stamp.

Thanks guys.

Club Andaman always more friendly and helpful.

Eggmeng, Did you have to show 20, 000 baht ?

No, I offered to show them some documents that legitimize my business reasons for being in Thailand so long, and they didn't even want to see that.

My reason is specific to my business which is the manufacturing and export of Thai food products. But I think I was given the stamp mainly because I was speaking politely, deferentially and in Thai.