World famous Indian sitar player to perform in Bangkok

goatfarmer

One of the top sitarists in the world, Purbayan Chatterjee, will perform in Pattaya and Bangkok in June.

He will be supported by vocalist, Joyeta Choudhury and tabla player, Rupak Bhattacharjee

1. Pure classical: at Eelswamp, Pattaya, Saturday 27th June.

This will be a program of classical ragas, both solo sitar and vocals and duet. Call 038 069 681 for more information.

2. Classical Fusion at The Sukosol Bangkok, Phayatai, Monday, June 29th.

Chatterjee is a master of Classical-jazz-rock-fusion. He has performed with jazz luminary, Chick Corea as well as fusion banjo player, Bella Fleck, in Belgium with saxophonist, Manuel Hermia and in South Africa with jazz guitarist, Kunle Ayo.

Chatterjee's recent fusion recordings include a CD with award winning Belgian fusion group, Slang. The recording was described in London Jazz News as, "a hugely enjoyable album....I can highly recommend for its fine fusion of rock, jazz and Indian music".

This concert will be a mix of light classics and fusion music.

Tickets are available through all Thai Ticket Major outlets. See the poster for details.

post-15930-0-20129800-1432702058_thumb.j

Edited by goatfarmer

The sitar is one of the most complex instruments to master, and tablas are not far behind. When I used to live in London I went to several concerts. Sadly, I missed one of the last concerts of Ravi Shankar. ..

I even bought a used sitar and a set of tablas. Didn't go very far hahaha.

Will definitely try to go there.

Thanks for the info!

Love this kind of music, its beautifully transcendental and is where psychedelic music came from. Even the Beatles experimented plenty with tablas and sitars... Put it this way, it beats any Issan music out there, way more creative and heartfelt than any crap they churn out here.

The JIMMY HENDRIX of India??? Wow!! Count me in too! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

If he's going to set fire to his sitar at the end count me in

Edited by mca

• 3 weeks later...

Interview with Chatterjee published yesterday in Z news:

“I don’t want to unlearn anything completely and let go off my roots. You have to sort of split your personality, which means that you are one person when you’re going on a classical stage and another when you’re playing fusion, crossover music with a band,” he explains.

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/music/life-is-music-know-what-sitar-virtuoso-purbayan-chatterjee-has-to-say-about-music_1612656.html

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to his live performances on YouTube the whole week. Really missing good music here in Thailand. There's nothing quite like classical Indian music when it comes to complexity and harmony. Organ music maybe...