Thailand the nanny state? Not compared to...

ghworker2010

The nanny state of the world has to be oz. Classic to read this article...

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nanny-state-rules-making-australia-worlds-dumbest-nation-tyler-brl-20150527-gh9myx

Its another reason why I could never live in Australia. It used to be a good country 20 yrs ago.

I love the relaxed rules of Thailand in general. There are virtually no health and safety laws and life goes on.

Whats your opinion?

cheers

All depends on your perception. Trouble is, perceptions vary.

The noodle cart occupying three quarters of the pavement near the BTS could be considered convenient if you're hungry and don't have time for a restaurant.

If, on the other hand, you're in a desperate hurry to get somewhere using the BTS, it's a major inconvenience if foot traffic slows to a crawl while everyone tries to get around the obstruction caused by the cart, the punters standing around it and the tables and chairs strewn everywhere.

The rules are there to take other people's quality of life into consideration.

We've discussed the dwindling number of expats in Thailand, numbers way down from the peak days of the heady mixture of a weak Bht and strong 'western' economies. (some of us observed the circumstances and predicted the exidus as inevitable).

Well here's another observation:

Of those who have packed up and gone home, and of those who have yet to pack up and go home, all will be grateful that the 'Nanny State' they return to is there to sooth their return - many will have at sometime declared they would never ever go back.

Be grateful you came from a place that gave you opportunities few Thais enjoy, be grateful too that you can return home if you wish.

These two things have given you freedom.

Edited by GuestHouse

The noodle cart occupying three quarters of the pavement near the BTS could be considered convenient if you're hungry and don't have time for a restaurant.

If, on the other hand, you're in a desperate hurry to get somewhere using the BTS, it's a major inconvenience if foot traffic slows to a crawl while everyone tries to get around the obstruction caused by the cart, the punters standing around it and the tables and chairs strewn everywhere.

I will take the noodle cart on the sidewalk anyday. Came from Canada never, ever want to live where policing everything and everyone for anything is the common practice. Here we have freedoms in our daily lives lost a long time ago in Nanny states. Not perfect but not over structured and easy.

I will take the noodle cart on the sidewalk anyday. Came from Canada never, ever want to live where policing everything and everyone for anything is the common practice. Here we have freedoms in our daily lives lost a long time ago in Nanny states. Not perfect but not over structured and easy.

you might but others might not

We've discussed the dwindling number of expats in Thailand, numbers way down from the peak days of the heady mixture of a weak Bht and strong 'western' economies. (some of us observed the circumstances and predicted the exidus as inevitable).

Well here's another observation:

Of those who have packed up and gone home, and of those who have yet to pack up and go home, all will be grateful that the 'Nanny State' they return to is there to sooth their return - many will have at sometime declared they would never ever go back.

Be grateful you came from a place that gave you opportunities few Thais enjoy, be grateful too that you can return home if you wish.

Indeed, GH

When the same whinging ingrates who berate their homelands from their barstools find themselves ill or hurt in accidents and without insurance or other means to pay for care, how sweet is the milk that flows from the bosom of the nanny state then?

How comforting is it to know that when either poor life choices or just good old-fashioned misfortune leave them unable to survive even with Thailand's lower prices, an entire welfare structure back home will be there to wipe the ingrate's soiled backsides and change his nappy?

I, myself, have medical insurance that covers illness and accident and I consider myself very much "covered" here but there's no way in HELL that I'd bitch Great Britain just because, right now, I find Thailand more suited to my needs

You are absolutely right but i am happy Thailand gives us the opportunity to have an alternative. Those who like nanny states stay in them those who like freedoms come here simple. The whole world shouldnot be the same to predictable and boring.

You are absolutely right but i am happy Thailand gives us the opportunity to have an alternative. Those who like nanny states stay in them those who like freedoms come here simple. The whole world shouldnot be the same to predictable and boring.

But of course Thailand is FAR from free ,especially freedom of expression etc it might be freedom in some ways but in others which i think are more important it isnt.

yes, why would they want to stop all the drunks bashing the crap out of everyone when they leave the clubs to go to other clubs at 3 am, hell its just fun isnt it, why stop people drinking on the streets, you p*ss heads must really be desperate to whinge about drinking laws, Australia have early openers, alcohol can be bought all day at pubs/bottle shops and they serve until 3 am, lets see, here they cant open early, they cant sell during the middle of the day and premises close earlier than they do there. If alcohol is the reason you are there it is a pretty p*ss poor one, seems like you drunks are the ones with the problems, most people like the fact that their kids dont have to try to avoid drunks on the streets. I live here because I like Thailand, not so I can get pissed all day every day and make an idiot of myself by falling off a bar stool, maybe you have fallen off one too many times

Edited by seajae

My grandfather went back to visit family in "the old country" in his '60s after 50+ years in the USA.

His remark upon his return to the USA: Quit complaining, pay your taxes.

Amazing that most foreigners here can afford to be here only because of the protections they got working in the nanny states, then badmouth those very protections.

The ultimate in "I'm alright Jack". I don't need those protections any more- I've made my nugget, so screw the guys coming up.

My grandfather went back to visit family in "the old country" in his '60s after 50+ years in the USA.

Amazing that most foreigners here can afford to be here only because of the protections they got working in the nanny states, then badmouth those very protections.

The ultimate in "I'm alright Jack". I don't need those protections any more- I've made my nugget, so screw the guys coming up.

You are right about living here on benefits of nanny state. I myself was single all my life in Canada never had any government assistance with anything well others married or with kids got help with everything from education to houses. I paid more tax because I was single and got nothing in return. No special government backed schemes to help the single male. But taxed to death. Paying single person supplements amounted to paying double. I managed to own 10 house in Canada in my lifetime and not with any assistance from the big boy. The nanny states are great if you are a married person who cannot manage his life or a woman who has no problem having kids out of wedlock, or an immigrant who sees a gravy train when they arrive. But it shackles and punishs those who wish to live the dream of being in a free world, and their pursuit of happiness. Nanny states move the goal post much to often, destroy mens drive to take care of themselves and turn them into charity cases looking to the government to take care of any and all things that arise in their lifes. People no longer take responsibility for their lifes. Canadians used to be known for waiting for the government to take care of them in almost everything.

You are right about living here on benefits of nanny state. I myself was single all my life in Canada never had any government assistance with anything well others married or with kids got help with everything from education to houses. I paid more tax because I was single and got nothing in return. No special government backed schemes to help the single male. But taxed to death. Paying single person supplements amounted to paying double. I managed to own 10 house in Canada in my lifetime and not with any assistance from the big boy. The nanny states are great if you are a married person who cannot manage his life or a woman who has no problem having kids out of wedlock, or an immigrant who sees a gravy train when they arrive. But it shackles and punishs those who wish to live the dream of being in a free world, and their pursuit of happiness. Nanny states move the goal post much to often, destroy mens drive to take care of themselves and turn them into charity cases looking to the government to take care of any and all things that arise in their lifes. People no longer take responsibility for their lifes. Canadians used to be known for waiting for the government to take care of them in almost everything.

Whoa. The link in the OP has some stuff about "Alfresco dining".

I figured it was like California where the "Al Fresco" diners have to put a towel down on their seat before they sat down. But they're only talking about outdoor dining, not nude dining...

No, I never applied for any kind of benefits. Never got a nickel of unemployment or welfare. Never needed food stamps. Never had a hospital pick up my bill because I didn't have insurance.

It's very tempting to believe we "never got anything back" from the government. But I lived in homes where the family never had to fight with the 24 hour karaoke bar that opened up next door. I went to school in safe school buses, not having to drop a nickel in the slot each day. We drove on relatively well built and well patrolled roads. I went to a state university that also received federal funds and the tuition was peanuts. I never had to worry that I'd be electrocuted while playing in the local public swimming pool. My employers paid me on time every time, because they'd get thrown in jail if they didn't. I worked in safe, nanny environments throughout my career. I rarely got sick after eating out in a filthy restaurant. I never had to sell a house at a loss because it fell apart due to shoddy construction. I never had to worry whether I really owned the the house and land I just paid for. I never once got shaken down by the police. (Hassled, yes- but not shaken down) I could go on and on. Without a few of those nanny protections, there's no way I could think about flying to Thailand, much less settling here.

So make no mistake, though I don't recall a dime given to me by the government, I benefited immensely from the nanny state. Not as immensely as poor families with 12 kids. But I have no illusions- it could have been me needing the benefits if I had gotten sick, or injured, or fell in love with someone who needed millions of $$ of health care.

Edited by impulse

"Opportunity that few Thais enjoy?" Thais have the same opportunities where I am from as I do - the same cannot be said for westerners in Thailand. And please don't waste my time with a 'like what' question. The list is long.

"Opportunity that few Thais enjoy?" Thais have the same opportunities where I am from as I do - the same cannot be said for westerners in Thailand. And please don't waste my time with a 'like what' question. The list is long.

Tell us where you are from and we'll see if we believe you.

I was having a beer or two at World Trade Center beer garden a few years ago. I ended up with 2 couples from Europe on holiday.

The guys were working together as garbage collectors. They complained on how stupid the Thai was.

Jeeze, I told them that if the Thai would have had the same opportunity to education as they had they might have been flying the "space shuttle" while they would still collect garbage for a living

I was having a beer or two at World Trade Center beer garden a few years ago. I ended up with 2 couples from Europe on holiday.

The guys were working together as garbage collectors. They complained on how stupid the Thai was.

Jeeze, I told them that if the Thai would have had the same opportunity to education as they had they might have been flying the "space shuttle" while they would still collect garbage for a living

Well to be fair, there's nothing wrong with collecting garbage to earn a living - its called working for a living.

Not so long back I saw a guy I grew up with sweeping the street in the town market place, I knew he'd recently been out of work and I could see he was trying to avoid me seeing him.

I made a point of walking up to him, shaking his hand, and telling him there is dignity in all work - There is no high or low work - work is never something to be ashamed of.

Yes,you're right. But telling me how stupid this Thai people are,cannot do the simpliest thing, well, then I expect more

Proud to be working, most of us work. But never mind how proud you are you cannot be blind to the fact that there are jobs that require more than other. Especially if complaining about others ability

I'm not sure, but given the subject and submitted posts I think you missed my point.

Edited by Aladdin

I won the birth lottery when I was born in the USA. I've had the best life anyone could hope for. I sure wouldn't trade that situation with anyone from a third world country.

I just deleted the rest of what I typed.

When I step off an airplane and back onto US soil I know I am free and privileged. Very privileged.

Cheers

"Thailand gives us the opportunity to have an alternative"

Thailand doesn't give you an alternative,you pay for your own alternative,there is no such thing in Thailand as Government Social help,especially for "Farangs"

The OP touched on over the top occupational health and safety regulations especially in Australia. This is a sore point with most of us from Oz and one of the reasons I moved our business to Thailand.

I'm all in favour of safety in the workplace but in Australia the government organisations enforcing these regulations have been infiltrated by the union movement who now use it to hold employers to ransom.

In Oz I could give my staff all the safety equipment in the world but if they choose to grind a piece of metal without safety glasses on and then get metal in their eye it us my fault because of lack of supervision.

I was on an Australian Standards committee formulating a new standard "electrical safety for temporary power on film locations". The work cover representatives were all ex unionists who were quite open about their agenda and it wasn't safety.

The Nanny state has definitely gone too far in this area and it is just another nail in the coffin of Australian manufacturing.

Well to be fair, there's nothing wrong with collecting garbage to earn a living - its called working for a living.

Not so long back I saw a guy I grew up with sweeping the street in the town market place, I knew he'd recently been out of work and I could see he was trying to avoid me seeing him.

I made a point of walking up to him, shaking his hand, and telling him there is dignity in all work - There is no high or low work - work is never something to be ashamed of.

Absolutely! as my father used to say: all work is honorable!

Absolutely! as my father used to say: all work is honorable!

All work is honorable. But unfortunately, not all jobs pay the bills.

How do you think people in a wheelchair feel?

Yes Australia is a 'nanny' state especially with regard to the "Elf & Safety" rules. I just couldn't see the point of every morning before work having a so called safety awareness meeting and having to state (usually made up) what safety measure you had taken the day before, and then you had to all sing a silly little song about being 'safe' True,I was reminded of this when I saw my daughter at her primary school reciting Prayuth's 12 principles and the anthem.

Yes there are regulations for just about everything in Oz (nay for EVERYTHING), nevertheless look at the advantages of living there compared to Thailand. Wonderful free health system, terrific educational facilities, a reasonably generous welfare system for the underpriviliged, safe and efficient transport systems, the list goes on and on.

Why do I choose to live in Thailand, mainly because my family is here, I llike the Thai people with a few exceptions, and it is MUCH cheaper to live here than it is in Oz which now has one of the highest cost of living in the World.

I don't much like living under a Junta but it doesn't affect me much, or hasn't so far, and I can't vote anyway. As for the present Aussie government, don't get me started!