An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials?

webfact

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

I'm sure they will...and just stop issuing residence certificates.

Then what do you do?

Like they did the last 3 times.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the thai way of tea money, it speeds up the process makes life much easier. It's win-win for both ends. You might see it as corruption, but I see it as something which makes life easier. In europe you have to go through the bureaucracy hell and there is no way to speed up the process no matter what you're willing to pay.

In my 8 years here,... to my surprise, I can't recall ever paying any "extras" for anything. Not even a driver's licence (which anyone with half a brain can get legally)

The only time I've been subjected to extra "fees" in this neck of the woods is at Laos and Cambodia immigration at the land borders.

So how does this new law affect the average expat?

Every foreigner in CM that wants to buy a vehicle, get a driving license, get a yellow book, ect.,

Has to buy a free certificate of residency from CM immigration for 500bht.

Every expat except those with work permit or already in posession of yellow house book.

An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials...

Wow, this would be paradise for the rich and good looking, unmarried expat who prefers the young Thai wannabe high society shopping Barbies, since all Thai officials will not be able to "seponseeer" their Mia Nois anymore... cheesy.gif

Edited by MockingJay

If I had a son and wife who did this they would have to find a new dad...

But luckily in my life nobody does this because I have enough authority...

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

I'd like to see that…but sorry all I can see is 'Smoke & Mirrors'…words are worth nothing…it is deeds that count, and this country cannot spell never mind deliver, integrity, service and trust. Waste of breath…'Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the shit is still the same…

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

It is also the reason why there are so many bad drivers on the roads of thailand

So to stop something they know is going on, and is called unofficial, they have to create a new law?

Amazing Thailand.

Contrast this action with what Thaksin said about tea money being an accepted way...way back when he was PM.

How can corruption not be a widespread cancer with such a PM?

I would love to see a link to an article which shows that Thaksin ever said that.You have any?

What I know is that Thaksin was as corrupt as could be, but he was very busy to weed out the corruption in the ministeries.

he was just busy to direct the money to him !!

not to rubb out the corruption;

Mainly sounds good.

I don't like the bit about perpetual repeated 7 days notices. That just gives an official time to frustrate the applicant indefinitely and then negotiate an out-of-office settlement.

The Act would be improved with explicit and serious consequences for non-compliance of the Act.

It must also send a copy of the explanation to an administrative oversight committee.

​Which means it couldn't go on indefinitely without due cause...

As an amendment to the new law I wish they would also make the office concerned print and publicly show the full cost of each service provided.. which will exclude tea moneys !!

If not on display how will "Joe public" know if they're being ripped off or not ??

What about setting up a website for reporting 'unofficial fees'?

The trick of course is someone wanting to do anything with this information. BUT, if this site was accessible by everyone and location, individuals and situation was reported it could be self-policing.

In Chiang Mai, I and other people I know could give names and details of 'unofficial fees' charged to get your Tabian Baan (house book).

Mainly sounds good.

I don't like the bit about perpetual repeated 7 days notices. That just gives an official time to frustrate the applicant indefinitely and then negotiate an out-of-office settlement.

The Act would be improved with explicit and serious consequences for non-compliance of the Act.

It must also send a copy of the explanation to an administrative oversight committee.

​Which means it couldn't go on indefinitely without due cause...

As an amendment to the new law I wish they would also make the office concerned print and publicly show the full cost of each service provided.. which will exclude tea moneys !!

If not on display how will "Joe public" know if they're being ripped off or not ??

I have to say the Thais I am aquainted with are well aware of fees they have to pay and then the extras to get things speeded up even granted at all.

Unfortunately so many accept as just a way of life and in their own way allow these things to continue.

I am aware that my wife's boss has bought a new BMW and a Mercedes in the past 12 months. He has also purchased a large house, not his family home, in a moo bahn very close in to Chiang Mai. He boasts of the purchases to his staff who are supposed to be impressed. Senior government officials must be very well paid. Unfortunately there is no trickle down effect into this family's budget. His largesse extends to shouting them a meal every now and then at a cheap moo gatar.

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

Bloody Hell Tywais, 500 baht for that is not to bad, are you that poor.

It's not a question of being rich or being poor, it's a question of paying the right price. And 500 Baths for a residence certificate (if you ever had one in your hands) is quite expensive (equivalent to about 2 days working salary for many thai workers).

Moreover, since normally this residence certificate is supposedly FREE OF CHARGE, the immigration officers have unilaterally decided, since few days - in the place I live - NOT to issue them anymore. That's the perverse side of the story.

They stopped this practice quite some time ago here in Pattaya. I failed one part of my scooter driving test. I was on a rented scooter, the helmet didn't fit, and I was first one off. Fell off the elevated plank about 1/2 meter before the end. Wifey tried to offer a bribe for a pass. No way. Luckily, he gave in admitting it was just a small mistake and seeing how well I did with the rest of the test, let me pass. But NO tea money was allowed. Fine with me.

So your wife is part of the problem!!....................coffee1.gif
I never see it as a problem, normally, tea money is usually a fraction of a fine, and saves paperwork...and goes to a needy cause. If you want things moving at government offices, its the only way. If you don't want the easy way, then don't pay...easy.

It's not a question of being rich or being poor, it's a question of paying the right price. And 500 Baths for a residence certificate (if you ever had one in your hands) is quite expensive (equivalent to about 2 days working salary for many thai workers).

Moreover, since normally this residence certificate is supposedly FREE OF CHARGE, the immigration officers have unilaterally decided, since few days - in the place I live - NOT to issue them anymore. That's the perverse side of the story.

If this is correct, the complainers have got a result...

You will now have to pay 2,400 baht (inc 100 baht for EMS) for a residence certificate from the British Embassy in Bangkok (Chiang Mai Consulate no longer issue them) if you can do it by post.

If not, you will have to travel to Bangkok, pay your 2,300 Baht at the British Embassy, stay over one nigh, collect the following day and travel back to Chiang Mai.

Great result...

If this is correct, the complainers have got a result...

You will now have to pay 2,400 baht (inc 100 baht for EMS) for a residence certificate from the British Embassy in Bangkok (Chiang Mai Consulate no longer issue them) if you can do it by post.

If not, you will have to travel to Bangkok, pay your 2,300 Baht at the British Embassy, stay over one nigh, collect the following day and travel back to Chiang Mai.

Great result...

Great mentality, Compliments for your support to corruption. You're really helping the government who's trying to stop such practices... Very clever !

And talk for yourself because NOT all embassies are releasing residence certificates to their nationals. And I don't know why embassies should do the work of the authority that delivers residence visas.... Very clever again.

That is one of the big problems, Thai's just stand back and let it happen saying as your wife did " it is the Thai way " why don't they stand up for their rights

They have stopped doing Residency Certificates in Korat....probably because they were made to stop charging 500bht (or a farang told them he doesn't HAVE to pay 500bht). So they thought 'no tea money, no certificate'....why rock the boat? It's not exactly a fortune is it? Now its buggered up everyone.

They have stopped doing Residency Certificates in Korat....probably because they were made to stop charging 500bht (or a farang told them he doesn't HAVE to pay 500bht). So they thought 'no tea money, no certificate'....why rock the boat? It's not exactly a fortune is it? Now its buggered up everyone.

Have you considered going one step up the ladder and complaining? That is what happened on Samui, and they are now issued free, or were last time I got one.

Correct...