What % of your portfolio is invested in Thailand?

I am classed as non-resident for tax purposes by the Inland revenue.

I guess that is on UK income tax only. HMRC will go after your assets in Thailand for UK Inheritance Tax (and challenge any claims to non-dom status).

because the minions of Her Majesty keep exact records of all assets non-resident U.K. citizens hold abroad coffee1.gif

I guess that is on UK income tax only. HMRC will go after your assets in Thailand for UK Inheritance Tax (and challenge any claims to non-dom status).

because the minions of Her Majesty keep exact records of all assets non-resident U.K. citizens hold abroad coffee1.gif

Because they can follow the money if you sent it out of the UK - they will look to find out for what (property, equity, fags and booze). Bit naive for you Ma'am...

Because they can follow the money if you sent it out of the UK - they will look to find out for what (property, equity, fags and booze). Bit naive for you Ma'am...

naïveté² has clouded your slave thinking my daughter tongue.png HMRC can only follow the first leg, e.g. a transfer from U.K. to Singapore or Hong Kong. and then it's over and out with following, assuming the dough was (for whatever purposes) moved again.

that also applies for 2018 when Singapore banks might comply with OECD regulations and disclose to HMRC assets held by U.K. citizens in the year 2017 (not before).

this lesson is free of charge. a simple "thank you kind Sir!" will suffice laugh.png

Thank you kind sir, note made to move my cash out of Singapore before end of 2016 [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

to another jurisdiction where the same will most probably happen? huh.png

Thank you kind sir, note made to move my cash out of Singapore before end of 2016 [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

to another jurisdiction where the same will most probably happen? huh.png

Nah, stuff it under the mattress [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

No tax is due according to the Inland Revenue on my dividends in Thailand as I am non resident for tax purposes. Secondly I make sure that the total of my assets does not exceed the allowance given before inheritance tax would be paid. I have no property in my name, all in my Wife and children's names. All monies in excess of the Inheritance tax threshold are in Thai SET equities in my wife and children's names.

British Ex-pats friends of mine only have trouble if they keep property in the UK or try to remit money to a UK bank account in their name.

Who, on earth and in their right mind would invest anything in Thailand in these troubled times? Would anyone investing in Thailand today be rewarded, or at least offered, very large returns to offset the massive risk involved?

Take time to consider the multifaceted mess that is today's Thailand. 0% local investment seems very attractive to me at the moment, and that would be my recommendation.

I invest 100% in Thai Stocks and have done for 20 years. I am a pensioner and I invested B6,000,000 in the Thai Stock Market in 2009 and have made B31,000,000 with my initial investment in the last 5 years. I invest in high dividend stocks with a 20% or more upside on valuation. BTS paid 7% in dividends in the past year and guarantees to pay 8% in 2015 to 2016. Other good stocks are Advance (AIS), TrueIF, and Intuch also paying 7-8% Dividend with 20% potential upside.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

As your graph shows, it's going nowhere for the past 2 years! The good days seem to be a thing of the past.

Who, on earth and in their right mind would invest anything in Thailand in these troubled times? Would anyone investing in Thailand today be rewarded, or at least offered, very large returns to offset the massive risk involved?

Take time to consider the multifaceted mess that is today's Thailand. 0% local investment seems very attractive to me at the moment, and that would be my recommendation.

ok, fair enough. So where do you invest? What is your recommendation for the Op?

If I were a pensioner living in Thailand, I'd allocate 40% of my portfolio to high dividend SET stocks, the other 40% to blue chip US stocks. The other 20% I'd keep in the bank in USD.

This way I'd offset currency and country risk to a certain extent, if a global financial crisis takes places like the one in 2008 I'd use some of the money in the bank to buy on the dips. People are exaggerating the amount of risk in Thailand, the SET has performed very well in the last 15 years. Mind you two coup d'etats took place in this time period. Whoever trusted and invested in Thailand came out as a winner.

Ford, GM, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Western Digital among many others. Bill you live in another country?

Actively managing an investment is always a good idea, and I have gotten out of the stock market and into cash and then back in the USA several times. Right now, looking at the situation and upcoming years in Thailand, it certainly does not look attractive. Military controlled states don't have a good track record of stellar economic performance.

Actively managing an investment is always a good idea, and I have gotten out of the stock market and into cash and then back in the USA several times. Right now, looking at the situation and upcoming years in Thailand, it certainly does not look attractive. Military controlled states don't have a good track record of stellar economic performance.

Like Singapore? The People's Action Party has won every election since self-government in 1959. Singapore is classified as a flawed democracy in the Economist Intelligence Unit's Democracy Index. Or China?

Edited by lostoday