Workpermit and visa renewal for Universities

That time again to renew... and a typical story.. At a certain Workpermit office and Immigration center

First work permit renewal, all the papers signed... "Yet... ever have one of the super efficient clerks who can do everything well, give everyone advice on how to do their jobs, and socialize with anyone who walks by, and yet still maintain his eye on the first page of a 100 page document?"

Next, once this super efficient clerk, has deemed your paper cleared after only 1 hour of looking at about 10 pages that he carefully folds for his superivisor's signature, he is off to locate his supervisor, takes his files all nice and neat, celll phone carefully displaying the cool looking babe photo he has been showing off, he leaves for about 20 minutes..strolls back in.. gives you a look, I am working very hard..

Done...time in 2 hours..

Ready for the immigration people... What a new crew and the office interior has been updated...new computer system and camera? Oh forgot 4 years with the old crew have past.

Well the signs are up.. and a good omen awaits.. a sign clearly stated the this is the PALLOWING information...

All forms are turned in.. computer keys are clicking away.. the officer has his glasses on the lower portion of his nose, very official and government looking..

Next... a discussion in Thai with my liason official from the school and the NEW Chief (Female) of the division... Listening to some of the discussion in Thai..

It appears some information is missing on their file about my passport.. Thus they insist.. I give them my old passport so the can fill in the information they forgot to enter.. Well, then the fun begins... Generally, this certain immigration officer has had issues with "processing fees"... and it seemed another hoop to jump.. But my liason representative is working it. working it, and working it.. You had to seen the Khun Yiing Wannabe supervisor.. the hair is going fine... She still insists I need to bring in the old passport so they processing my yearly visa.. Now it is about face time..

The university liason officer knew everyone well from the last crew, thus..name dropping begins... She begin that the errors was not this current crew but the old crew and we have been comming here for the past ten years.. Of course we want to comply and "PALLOW" all the rules and regulations, but it is not appropriate that we are punished for the last crews errors..

Khun ying wannbe, gives her the governmental look of.. do you know who the heck I am... Then decides, she believes it is indeed the fault of the last crew, but she is only following procedures, but she in her wisdom, can see the logic.. and tell the liason representative, this is what is authorized to perform, visa is renewed for one year and the 90 days residence renewal notice has been processed.

We wai, more smiles. then as we drive off in the car, I confirm what I think was going on, and she states, they had it allclap2.gif wrong...and they knew it was not appropriate to ask for an old passport...

We drive off and file this experience and prepare for next year.. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw, and this time out, the short stick came up..

Question unrelated to your story but related to your thread title ("for Universities"). Did you need to get a teacher's license or waiver? I've read here many times that private schools & unis are supposed to be exempt from the TCT waiver but my school (which is private) had the damndest time fighting for my 3rd TCT waiver this year.

Question unrelated to your story but related to your thread title ("for Universities"). Did you need to get a teacher's license or waiver? I've read here many times that private schools & unis are supposed to be exempt from the TCT waiver but my school (which is private) had the damndest time fighting for my 3rd TCT waiver this year.

The requirements of The Teachers' Council of Thailand do not apply to educational institutions providing higher education.

PART 5

PRACTICE OF LICENSED PROFESSION

Section 43

The Profession of Teachers, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators shall be a licensed Profession under this Act. Other licensed Professions shall be as stipulated in ministerial regulations.

No one shall practice a licensed Profession without a License under this Act,except in any of the following cases:

(1) Those occasionally providing knowledge to learners in any Educational Institution as guest educational lecturers;

(2) Those whose primary Profession does not relate to the teaching and learning process, but has the occasional duty to teach;

(3) Students, trainees or those with a practical training license apprenticing or training under the supervision of Professional Educators, subject to the criteria, procedures and conditions set forth by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board;

(4) Those arbitrarily offering educational courses;

(5) Those teaching in any learning center under the law governing national education or learning establishments arbitrarily operated by nonformal educational agencies, individuals, families, communities, community organizations, local administrative organizations, private organizations, Professional organizations, religious institutions, business establishments, hospitals, medical institutions, charitable shelters and other social institutions;

(6) Public and private instructors, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators at the higher education level;

(7) Education Administrators of a level higher than educational districts;

(8) Other persons as designated by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board.

And I guess "higher" level means post-secondary? My students are age 16-18 so I guess that's equivalent to M4-6. Not post-secondary but this is definitely a private (i.e. not government) school. Waiver required or not?

And I guess "higher" level means post-secondary? My students are age 16-18 so I guess that's equivalent to M4-6. Not post-secondary but this is definitely a private (i.e. not government) school. Waiver required or not?

Higher education means degree level.

Mattayom 4-6 is still 'basic education'. Regardless provided by a government school or private school, the TCT requirement do apply.

I worked for many years at a major Thai government funded uni, what you describe was par for the course year in and year out. Things took a serious turn for the worse when we, like your institution, got new staff to take over securing work permits. They could not work out how to do the process, tried to ignore the problem and us and hoped we'd just go away. The teachers being proactive spared us problems with immigration and we got re-newed, but lost salary as the university claimed we were no longer legal to receive it. Not only that, the decided to blame us and we spent a year being blamed, accused and finally fired for little to no reason. As much as I dislike Thaksin, the coup governments have installed university administrations who are far more incompetent, disinterested and xenophobic. Thailand loses as well, you cannot attract or hang onto good teaching staff with a situation like that, but I think they have registered their stance on that: they aren't interested.

As Aidenai posted It is not about private or government school, but the kind of education provided. There are many private elementary and secondary schools in Thailand and you still need to have a teaching license (waiver).

Basically, if your school falls under the OBEC (office of basic education commission) than you need the teaching license.

The certain university is a semi-automous government university.. and there are only a few about.. essentially, this means the uni has their own hiring practices..and no association with that TCT...

My rant was that new people at the work permit and immigration offices, turn over and thus new policies and proceduresthumbsup.gif seem to pop up.. The liason office at the school is up on the regs and knows her/his stuff cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived