Koh Larn ferry operators under spotlight for overcharging

Rimmer

Koh Larn ferry operators under spotlight for overcharging

n21overpric1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Koh Larn ferry operators are being criticized for allegedly overcharging passengers and violating fare rules for children.

After a string of complaints about overcharging by boat operations at Bali Hai pier, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh called a meeting to address the issue. But only 12 boat operators showed up.

He said a city inspector, on April 13, found evidence that those complaining were justified after he was charged 100 baht for a 30-baht ticket to the island.

Furthermore, the deputy mayor said, ferry boats are charging children under 1.2 meters tall full-fare, instead of a reduced rate as required.

Boats from Bali Hai ply routes to two piers on Koh Larn: Na Baan and Had Tawaen Beach, seven and four times a day, respectively. Return trips are offered nine and five times each. The regulated fare is 30 baht, with small children getting a lower rate and kids taking the ferry to attend school on the mainland free.

The few boat operators who attended opposed offering reduced fares for children under 1.2 meters tall, saying their boats held only 120 people and if they didn’t charge kids a full fare, they’d simply up the price for all passengers.

Ronakit insisted the boat operators follow the law.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/koh-larn-ferry-operators-under-spotlight-for-overcharging-47474#sthash.n7uRM2LK.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-05-29 footer_n.gif

And what happened after the meeting???

Presume no change... and no change from a 100B note...

Should end these meetings, no warnings, go in and prosecute those law breakers.

My assumption is that if they are overcharging they will be fiddling their books too, so lets see the revenue department turn them over. Tax evasion, Money laundering, Racketeering, you name it, throw the book at them.

have used the koh larn ferry many times used to be 20 baht , went up to 30 baht a couple of years ago but i have never been charged 100 baht .

now the speed boat guys .... they do know how to charge .

I have been to Koh Larn and back several times in the last two months and a very pleasant place it is too. My friend and I were charged 30 baht each every time except once when I got no change from 100 baht. On that occasion many people were boarding the boat and we took our seats and thought no more about it. A few minutes later a lad approached us and apologised and gave me the correct change. Yes, strange things do happen....sometimes!

Well investigation? Is that needed? Don't they actually KNOW that? I have taken that ferry, and you could not put any small dog on that ferry any more! Packed with Russians, could not move an inch, not to talk on the small boats they put us on, to reach the chosen beach.

In fact all traveling with Thai company, has been like this. I never forget the ride to for the Koh Pan Ngang for the full moon party. My God, it was no surprise to hear a few days later, one boat sank. If you do excursions with a Thai Company, all boats will be packed. For Phi Phi took a Frenchman, on Samui an English company and that was a relief. Not filling their boat up, go at other time as the Thai groups, a very difference experience!

My assumption is that if they are overcharging they will be fiddling their books too, so lets see the revenue department turn them over. Tax evasion, Money laundering, Racketeering, you name it, throw the book at them.

on that meeting, boat owners received a warning,

if they would be catched again with incorrect pricing,

they would get a fine, not higher than 10 boat tickets for children under 1,2 met !!

ha ha ha ha !!

3rd world country !!

what and whom to prosecute ?

what are that owners from Satahip !

a) there are now law

B) you cant prosecute such influental figures !!

He said a city inspector, on April 13, found evidence that those complaining were justified after he was charged 100 baht for a 30-baht ticket to the island.

Not so bad , I pay 200 bath at the Hua Hin waterfall for the last 5 years . For a 20 bath ticket .

Maybe now you know how it feels .

You will never clean it up , the mess you all in .

Very good advertising , one day it will ketch up with you all corapt no goods .

The word gets around .

The price for all for the cattle class ferries is 30 baht. going every hour. pay at the boat. always busy. boat goes on time every time.

Other various tour boats go to different beaches and are not so much cattle class.

I never have a problem, arrive parking is difficult , then walk right down the jetty, the boat will be marked and say 30 baht---or ask for the 30 baht ferry---easy.

If you go on the pier and start mouthing how much is it to the island you will get touts smothering you with different prices. DO as I said earlier---no problem.

It used to be you paid once at Bali Hai Pier, ... and came back free, ..... now it is 30 baht each way, ...seems a reasonable fare though, considering the distance ... but so many Thais like to overcharge and short change tourists! No surprise it is happening on the Koh Larn Ferry too.

I'll bet there is always a lot more than 120 people on board too!!

So i hate to think how much they charge a farang

So someone got greedy. That doesn't paint a picture of everyone, does it? In the last 3 years, I have been there many times. Always been 30 baht, which I consider a bargain anywhere. I hate being taken advantage of, but I have never seen anyone complain that they had a problem of the 50 times I have watched the boats load. The only thing I can refer to is that there was a boat that was pretty much just for Russians, and it charged 150 baht. Sorry, I had no problem with that. It was Russians overcharging Russians. They had to pass all of the Thai boats, which have huge signs saying 30 baht, to get to the Russian boat. The 30 baht on the Thai boats was written in English also.

30 baht :)

I find this story about 100 baht rather strange.

I use these ferries regularly and never been asked for more than 30 baht ??

Never see anyone paying 100 baht ??

give yourself an uppercut and a dose of reality, that wont happen

maybe if they charged more they could afford to spend a little on maintaining the boats, guess thats expecting too much

Considering they have either 9 or 16 journeys at 3,600 a go that puts them on a least 40k a day, so 1.2 Mil a month...surely that's enough to maintain the vessel...no need to be overcharging.

maybe if they charged more they could afford to spend a little on maintaining the boats, guess thats expecting too much

If they were allowed to charge more it would just be an incentive to cram even more people on the overcrowded loaded boats.facepalm.gif

Wake up dopey, only farangs ride these tubs, and the bloody ice cream vendors whose prices are on. Par with the tub operators. Welcome to the biggest brothel in the world..

So sorryprostitution is illegal .

i cannot remember whether we were overcharged on our last trip to ko larn it was about eight years ago

and my thai wife and many others were more concerned with the boats overcrowding and the way it was

struggling in the higher than normal waves, you sometimes cannot move on these boats for passengers

packed on them,

how is the 100 baht the big issue? and the last capsizing lead to multiple deaths and it was reported the

boat concerned was not designed or licensed to carry passenger's and had had the top deck added after

it was built for extra revenue through extra fares. as usual no follow up on the people who caused the

tragedy and I mean the owners who gave the orders for the top heavy deck to be added not the captain

and the first mate who were charged.

Suggestion:

send the inspectors down to the pier & have them give the boat a full sea-worthiness inspection to keep it's operating licence, I'm sure it would fail !!