Flights to the UK

superal

A family member is flying from the UK to Thailand today 29/05/2015 . She is flying non stop with Eva Air at a total cost of £450 return . Booked her flight within 10

days of departure . The mystery to me is if I tried to book that flight departing from Thailand to the UK it would not be close to her price , more like £650 up . Has

anyone any idea why it is so much more expensive flying out from Thailand

Demand. More demand from the UK to here and not the reverse. So prices are higher if originating from here. Methinks....55555

I understand your logic Craig but i have done the flight, Thai / UK many times and the plane is nearly always full . The last time was December 2014 when because

I was not certain about my return time from the UK I was going to book a one way trip at £450 with BA . However I reviewed my itinerary in the UK and booked the

return at £650 which saved money overall . Eva Air were far more expensive as were Thai Airways .

Thanks for your reply

Demand. More demand from the UK to here and not the reverse. So prices are higher if originating from here.

Tickets are (mostly) two-way, so demand shouldn't come into it as far as I can see. Especially at this time of year when flights are rarely full in either direction.

I put it down to a lot more competition for sales in the UK compared to here, so more profit for vendors here and possibly some extra tax on tickets originating here.

That said, if you buy online via a foreign comparison website the difference in cost between tickets originating in Europe and similar tickets originating here can be much less.

We went through this on here a few years ago with flights to/from North America. They have the same issues. Cheaper if purchased there than here. Some of the comments were more demand there and more competition. But it is frustrating. Especially now as I'm originating from here! It is definitely more expensive. I think it might also have something to do with the time of year?

I just did a test with Norwegian Air, BKK to ARN. The low fare calendar shows much cheaper fares from here to there than the reverse in the same month. But as a round trip, the fares are almost the same if you pick the cheaper dates.

• 2 weeks later...

It's especially unusual when you consider the amount of government tax that's charged on long haul flights out of the UK.

On a return trip to/from the UK you will always pay this on one leg for the UK departure. It makes no difference where you start the trip from.