Engine Rust In New Fortuner?!

nikster

I am checking my engine every day now - making sure no mouse inside.

When I looked at it this morning I saw that there was something there that looked like... gasp! rust!

Wet conditions last month but this car is 1 month old, I am sure there is not supposed to be rust there. it's on the left side of the engine, looks like a part that's screwed/bolted onto the engine, but I have no idea what it's for.

Look at the pix!!

Can somebody tell me 1) what this part is for 2) why it might be rusting and 3) if this is normal?

I didn't do any extreme things with the car, neither off-roading nor did it come anywhere near the ocean, I live in the mountains north of Chiang Mai and that's where the car has been. The rest of the engine looks very new - as it should...

I would go to the dealership right away instead of posting here, but it's a 3 hour drive.

Overview left side of the engine looking in from the front - it's in the highlighted area:

post-20814-1158039209_thumb.jpg

Detail towards the font:

post-20814-1158039231_thumb.jpg

Detail towards the rear:

post-20814-1158039259_thumb.jpg

Hi Nikster.

It is no big deal as it is your exhaust manifold and it is made of cast iron, not unusual for them to rust if they get a little wet, it is just surface rust and won't harm anything. I have had an exhaust manifold on an old ford look like that for 20 + years with no harm. Normally your car will get hot again with use and 'burn off' a little of the rust. If it bothers you maybe u can spray a little wd40 on it but beware that this makes a not so pleasent smell as it burns off.

Dean

Hi Nikster.

It is no big deal as it is your exhaust manifold and it is made of cast iron, not unusual for them to rust if they get a little wet, it is just surface rust and won't harm anything. I have had an exhaust manifold on an old ford look like that for 20 + years with no harm. Normally your car will get hot again with use and 'burn off' a little of the rust. If it bothers you maybe u can spray a little wd40 on it but beware that this makes a not so pleasent smell as it burns off.

Dean

Thanks for the explanation, feeling a lot better now :o

Of course if it does bother you, you could always get a custom stainless steel manifold made up instead :D

Now ya talkin' :D :D :D

Hey guys, thanks for the good advice, saved me from most likely losing face in front of the Toyota mechanics :D

would have been a good fun though you shouting off your head to some toyota personnel or smashing your windscreen in front of media and cops and demand a refund of your money. :D:D:o:D:D