US search flights get nod

Lite Beer

ROHINGYA
US search flights get nod
SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE
THE NATION May 30, 2015 1:00 am

30261287-01_big.JPG?1432938538421

BANGKOK: -- Myanmar rebukes UN agency, says it is not the sole source of boat people

THAILAND has granted permission to the United States to fly its planes over Thai territorial waters to search and rescue boat people in the Indian Ocean, Foreign Minister Tanasak Patimapragorn said yesterday.

"This morning, the US aircraft flew together with our Air Force for the mission," Tanasak said.

"At the request of Washington, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan granted permission and I have already conveyed the message to the US charge d'affaires, W Patrick Murphy," he said.

The US welcomed the decision. Murphy told reporters that initially Thailand had allowed the US to continue the operation until June 11.

"We are now flying from Malaysia; further options [using bases in Thailand] were being discussed with Thai authority," he said. "The operation is maritime surveillance, not for search and rescue purposes. The US offered governments in the region the operation to inspect the situation of irregular migrants in the Andaman Sea," he added.

Since early this week, the US Navy has been conducting daily maritime surveillance flights out of Subang, Malaysia, to locate boats carrying migrants.

Tanasak declined to answer clearly whether the government would allow the US to use military facilities in U-tapao or Phuket for the mission as earlier requested.

"They can use any base. If it is necessary to use Thai territory for the base, the request can be considered," he said.

The operation was a part of a regional effort to save boat people from Bangladesh and Myanmar, which has become a crisis after the unearthing of graves in Thailand and Malaysia recently.

Last week, Tanasak joined a ministerial meeting in Kuala Lumpur with his Malaysian and Indonesian counterparts who announced a rescue operation for some 7,000 migrants still at sea. The two countries will shelter the boat people for one year.

Thailand, however, did not decide to take them in, but instead set up the "Operation Centre for Patrol and Humanitarian Assistance to Irregular Migrants" and off-shore "floating platforms" to help them before sending them on to Malaysia or Indonesia, Tanasak said. At a special meeting of senior officials on irregular migrants in the Indian Ocean in Bangkok yesterday, Tanasak said that countries should not be blaming each other, but instead should come together to share this burden.

At the meeting, the Myanmar delegation rebuked the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) for pointing out that the country was the cause of the migrant outflows to Southeast Asia.

"My dear delegation from UNHCR, on the root cause of migration, you cannot single out my country. I said earlier, some issue is falling on domestic jurisdiction and the influx of migration. Myanmar is not the only country," said the Myanmar Foreign Ministry's special representative, Htin Lynn, to the meeting. "Understanding the root cause of the problem is important, otherwise you cannot solve the problem".

Though the meeting was a closed-door one, journalists were allowed to listen to some parts of it yesterday. Also present at the meeting was UNHCR's director of International Protection Volker Turk.

Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mohamad Shahidul Haque said his government would take full responsibility for the repatriation of Bangladeshi migrants, who were victims of human trafficking. Bangladesh has stepped up measures and cooperation with Myanmar to strictly control their border to cope with the trafficking, he said.

Meanwhile, Malaysia's Foreign Ministry Deputy Secretary-General Ibrahim bin Abdullah called for the international community to share the burden that his country, Indonesia and Thailand have taken. Malaysia, as the current chair of Asean, proposed to convene a ministerial meeting on transnational crimes to tackle the problem.

Malaysia will also explore the possibility of holding a leader summit of concerned countries - Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia and Thailand - on irregular migrants, people smuggling and human trafficking, he said.

US Assistant Secretary of State Anne Richard said the US will contribute $3 million (Bt101 million) to the emergency appeal by the International Organisation for Migrant (IOM) to assist the boat people. The IOM filed an appeal for $26 million on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Australia has said it will contribute 11 million Australian dollars (Bt283 million) towards humanitarian assistance for vulnerable people in Bangladesh and Myanmar.

Thai Foreign Ministry's permanent secretary Norachit Sinhaseni, who chaired yesterday's meeting, said a number of recommendations were made for immediate response to protect migrants stranded at sea, including finding ways to prevent and address the root cause of the problem.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/US-search-flights-get-nod-30261287.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-30

"Tanasak declined to answer clearly whether the government would allow the US to use military facilities in U-tapao or Phuket for the mission as earlier requested."

Once again the Americans are willing to utilize their enormous resources in a humanitarian operation on Thailand's doorstep and the Thai response is.

1. Well, let us think about this.

2. We are mulling the idea.

3. It is under serious consideration.

4. There's a possibility we will accede to your request. But what's in it for us?

5. We are in charge and you do what we say.

Meanwhile many lives are being lost by the victims of this sad state of affairs.

Edited by ratcatcher

"Tanasak declined to answer clearly whether the government would allow the US to use military facilities in U-tapao or Phuket for the mission as earlier requested."

Once again the Americans are willing to utilize their enormous resources in a humanitarian operation on Thailand's doorstep and the Thai response is.

1. Well, let us think about this.

2. We are mulling the idea.

3. It is under serious consideration.

4. There's a possibility we will accede to your request. But what's in it for us?

5. We are in charge and you do what we say.

Meanwhile many lives are being lost by the victims of this sad state of affairs.

If flights are allowed how long before TAT claims the crews etc as tourist arrivals and that the Americans are flocking to LOS ?

Now it would be getting the nod have anything to do with Thailand getting in bed with China and the US send ships into the South China sea? Oh just a note Nice looking US missile cruiser in Subic Bay now heard there might go fishing around some newly discovered island.

Now it would be getting the nod have anything to do with Thailand getting in bed with China and the US send ships into the South China sea? Oh just a note Nice looking US missile cruiser in Subic Bay now heard there might go fishing around some newly discovered island.

A whole new use of the word "trolling".

Where are the America haters now?

Maybe the question should be why is the US so interested in this?

When all this talk about humanitarian acts of goodness and they can't even take care of their own country,

that should send up a red flag.

The US has an agenda, they always do. They wanted to "study" the weather and then the chemtrails appeared in the skies.

Why the US is so interested in the Rohingha, that should be the real question, they don't give a crap about anybody other than own

profitable interests. This is not America bashing, it's fact and it saddens me that I have to post this about my own country.

The U.S. is always an easy target to bash, until someone needs something. Time for another world war to make everyone love the U.S.

Just remind everyone that Bangkok was once an important port for Chinese traders. Meaning China has just about the same historical claim to Bangkok as they have for the Spratly's and Paracel's.

Edited by impulse

When all this talk about humanitarian acts of goodness and they can't even take care of their own country,

The US has an agenda, they always do. They wanted to "study" the weather and then the chemtrails appeared in the skies.

Why the US is so interested in the Rohingha, that should be the real question, they don't give a crap about anybody other than own

profitable interests. This is not America bashing, it's fact and it saddens me that I have to post this about my own country.

Please tell me you have given up your American citizenship and become a Thai national. Otherwise go back to America and change its politics.

The U.S. is always an easy target to bash, until someone needs something. Time for another world war to make everyone love the U.S.

Just remind everyone that Bangkok was once an important port for Chinese traders. Meaning China has just about the same historical claim to Bangkok as they have for the Spratly's and Paracel's.

No oil under Bangkok though. China just needs Thailand to not get involved in the upcoming spats in the S China Sea.

You might consider that the US usually responds when civilians are in jeopardy. They are already (finally} flying in Thailand Airspace. The request to use Thailand bases is so their aircraft can be on station quicker which translates to more search time.

I am amased that Thailand is so slow in responding especially as so many have said it is a close ally. To me it appears that Malaysia is a much better and responsible ally.

Many foreigners living in LOS are disappointed in the policies of their native lands. However, you remember the 2004 tsunami that devastated Aceh and affected millions in the Indian Ocean area? Well, guess who were the first to arrive with helicopters and medical aid?

The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans?

No, just them damned busy body Yankees. What was in it for them? Helping desperate people, that's what Americans and Canadians do along with other countries of the same standard.. So, perhaps you would be good enough to try and explain what you see as Uncle Sam's agenda.

Of course the good Chinese don't have an agenda. They just do it, if it's to their advantage, of course.post-9891-0-80075700-1432965959_thumb.pn

No oil under Bangkok though. China just needs Thailand to not get involved in the upcoming spats in the S China Sea.

Lots of rice (and other food), though. Could come in handier than oil if they continue destroying millions of acres of their own productive land every year through pollution and desertification.

Many foreigners living in LOS are disappointed in the policies of their native lands. However, you remember the 2004 tsunami that devastated Aceh and affected millions in the Indian Ocean area? Well, guess who were the first to arrive with helicopters and medical aid?

The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans?

I was living in China when the tsunami happened. It was amusing to tune into Chinese TV and see a card table on a beach with 3 Chinese doctors sitting behind it, ready to take blood pressures. If you've ever seen a doctor at a Chinese health fair, you know exactly what I'm describing

In the background, there was a US aircraft carrier on the water (I think a helo carrier, but it's been a long time), and quite a few American helicopters bopping around up and down the beach.

They kept flashing back and forth between the carrier, the helicopters and the 3 doctors with their card table. I asked the GF what it was about, and she told me they were showcasing the massive Chinese humanitarian effort after the tsunami. When I told her all the craft in the background were American, she didn't believe me. That's not what they were claiming on CCTV. Even when it came to CCTV9 English news, they were still showing American craft and insinuating they were Chinese.

Now, I salute the 3 Chinese doctors. I do. But if I ever need a proper rescue, give me the US Marines any day of the week.

Edited by impulse

Like to know where you get your "Facts" . Just because we are to beleive your from USA doesn't make you and expert on facts about the US just your maybe biased opinions. Whenever there has been natural disasters around the world such as the earthquakes in Haiti and elsewhere, Asian Tsunami,famine ect the US Government and even US Volunteer Groups are some of the first support to assist. The US is certainly not perfect especially with current President but when it comes to giving a helping hand it is quick to do so.

certainly took thier time to grant permission, when there were hundreds of innocent lives in danger.

Where are there hundreds of innocent lives in danger?

Or are you referring to the illegal immigrants who paid to be transported to a place where they are not wanted? Who now plead for help when their plans go awry?

Spare me...please.

certainly took thier time to grant permission, when there were hundreds of innocent lives in danger.

Or are you referring to the illegal immigrants who paid to be transported to a place where they are not wanted? Who now plead for help when their plans go awry?

Spare me...please.

Yeah. Screw those 6 year old kids who conspired with their parents to go on an illegal trip that turned out to be not quite as promised.

POTUS wants to be seen as helping Muslims. Rohingha are Muslims.

Spare me...please.

I wish to remind you that most immigrants paid to be transported to a place they were not wanted. Do you think that western Europe wanted the refugees after WWII, or after the Prague spring? Did West Germans want an influx of the East Germans and their primitive ways? How about the aboriginals around the world when white Europeans started showing up? How about Asians on the west coast of North America or Irish in parts of North America? How about the Cuban and Haitian boat people? Remember the Vietnamese boat people? With the exception of the USA, Canada and Australia the whole world turned their back on them.

The Bangladesh and Myanmar governments are complicit in these smuggling activities. According to the allegations, some in Thailand's military and local governments were active participants too. The point is that the migrants are aided and abetted by some rather well positioned people who are profiting from the activity.

Please tell me you have given up your American citizenship and become a Thai national. Otherwise go back to America and change its politics.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with American politics as much as it has to do with the military industrial complex.

How does one change that and what is wrong with exercising one's first amendment rights?

Where does this "agree with everything the US does" or go back and fix it. What if you don't live within the borders, the very porous

borders of course, you can't speak out as an American anymore? What is wrong with you?