Actions against Thaksin show junta firmly in control

Lite Beer

You're correct Khunken, I don't say what's needed to bring Thailand into the democratic fold, it's not my place to make these suggestions, so I sit on the fence, IF I had a vote, I wouldn't vote for the PTP.

I don't have a vote, just opinions, and opinions are like r-souls, we all have them.

I have already given some... incase you missed it, here it is again... Keep the Military away from Politics, they are there to serve the people, not the other way around.

Having had a Military background pretty much all my life, unless you're in a Spec Ops unit, there's no such thing as a democracy, it's an autocracy, not up for negotaion, you do what you're told end of.

The Junta are NOT the ideal people to preach democracy or anything about it, when they do NOT ALLOW their orders to be questioned, it's their way or the High way... hardly democratic.

What we all tend to forget, is that everything that's going on was brough on by Thais themselves, no western influences caused this situation that's been around since the 1930's, so Thais themselves will have to sort it all out.

I dislike the Junta as much as I dislike the PTP and the UDD, they are just as bad as each other, but one team owns the ball, and when they don't like it, they call the game off and go home in a huff... that has to stop, the Army should NEVER be so powerful, it's not healthy, it breeds its own problems.

Well if you can and do criticise all and sundry, there's nothing to stop you making suggestions for the betterment of this country.

It might surprise you that I don't like military governments either and agree that they are certainly not democratic. But when a system is broken (more like never fully in place) it is better to try and fix it rather than let it continue festering, I think that the military is the only body left here with the clout that can attempt a fix. They do not, despite some rhetoric, claim to be democratic but are trying to put in place some sort of rules that they hope will bring about a future leadership that is not self-serving and above the law.

I do admit to having a very sceptical view of democracy but that's another topic for another thread.

Given the dire state of the RTP and Thaksin & his puppet's (unfortunately) successful attempt to make them one-sided to add to their corruption it is only the military that can balance that out, which they have done.

So the lesser of two evils is the reason that I support the coup and all legal means to prevent yet more of Thaksin's attempts to continue interfering in Thailand despite all his previous lies about non-politicking.

Been meaning to stay away from politicial boards, but the Thaksin threads got my attention. A very good post, along with a few others on this thread.

Agree that they are the better of all evils and are not proposing to be or are a long term solution to the country's woes.

What amuses me is that many shout down the Army and a year ago when the Army stepped in were also calling for democracy to look after itself and play out its hand. But that scenario completely overlooked that democracy no longer existed in Thailand, so how was it supposed to right itself by democratic process. Certainly a government at the beck and call of a people's court convicted criminal with a large outstanding charge sheet, a government with a criminal minister having the DSI the AG and the police at their beck and call to carry their one sided bidding, a government with a UDD and Red vigilante thugs carrying out bombings and murders with impunity, and threatening the one democratic process and their families out of their paymasters reach - the courts, is not a functioning democratic process. There was nothing democratic left to right the democratic process.

The army are not and are not proposing to be a long term solution. Thankfully they were the one group left in Thailand who had the clout to stop the Shinawtra's in their tracks. This time around as opposed to the previous disastrous coups they are going down the right track of dealing with the wider and longer term issues apart from the scumbag Thaksin.

As for Thaksin a single poster further back has got it right. Thai's will happy let fugitive politicians have their freedom in exile away from Thailand as per the case of many past corrupt politicians. The expectation is that they get on with their lives and keep their mouths shut. Thaksin's problem is he can't keep his mouth shut. Well done Khun Prayuth for sticking it to him.

Edited by Roadman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current regime inherited a very failed situation, things were clearly breaking down under the democratic model, there was a lot of factional killing, and normal working people lived in fear of what would happen tomorrow. I applaud the current regime for restoring stability and peace. I also am encouraged by their first steps on tackling corruption and trying to get the nation back on track, after decades of carnage. Much of the corruption and chaos was being orchestrated by Thaksin, and so it is only right that he is one of many targets in the clean-up drive.

I do not envy their task one bit, the problems they faced when they took power were both acute and immense. I think they've done a lot of good things, especially on restoring stability and peace in normal working people's lives.

The failed situation as you describe it appears to have been engineered by a rather bitter group who had been plotting to overthrow the democratically elected government of Thailand ever since Yingluck was elected PM. I appreciate that there are many who will disagree. However, the aforementioned comment is my understanding of the prevailing opinion of the countries who had condemned the suspension of democracy in Thailand. Now that the Nation has quoted Thaksin's comment, this perception is finally out in the open. It is the view that colours outside opinions.

How has the current administration restored stability and peace? Are you aware that there is an uptick in violence in the south? Are you aware that many parts of the northeast are still subject to draconian freedom of movement restrictions such as curfews? Would you like to be restricted to your home after 9 pm? My friend's village is subject to such a rule. Remember the big explosions on koh Samui and all the allegations made and how we were promised big names would be named quickly? What happened? What first steps on tackling corruption? NOTHING has really been done. The easiest mess to have cleaned up would have been Phuket and the diabolical jetskis. NOTHING has been done. In fact it can be argued that the situation is worse than before. All those promises of a clean up of the taxi/tuk tuk mafia, and an end to forest and beach encroachment, and still NOTHING.

You talk of decades of corruption. In what era? The short period of Thaksin's time in office saw the most robust economic growth in the past 25 years. It was accompanied by the largest gains in foreign investment, and improvement in social benefit indices. You blame Thaksin for all of Thailand's corruption. Well, considering that the most corrupt region in Thailand is the Surat Thani-Phuket- Nahkon Si Thammarat region, which is also the most anti Thaksin region, and also known as Suthep's playground, who do you think is responsible for corruption in that region then? What's your position on the new multi billion baht palm oil fund intended to support palm oil extraction factories? If you are against corruption and in favour of transparency, how can you support the "fund".

When you refer to "normal "working people, do you even know any? I mean really know them? As most of the population is outside of Bangkok and is found in places like the deep south and Issan, where the instability and fears are unchanged, your generalization is off the mark. People in Pattani still live in fear of being blown up, and people in Ubon still live in fear of being detained without charge or access to legal counsel or a fair trial.

stop spreading fear and hatred through lies. Thailand is fairly peaceful. Let's keep it that way.

Which part of his post contains a lie? Remember Suthep was the one holding Bangkok hostage. The south is no different today than is has been for the last 20 years. I guess reading a specific multi point insightful post about recent history here is spreading fear and hatred to you.

Arrest them for what H90?

I don't recall any Prime Minister in any other country in the world being arrested for being "complete shit at their job" do you?

The people, as in the Thai elctorate had the chance to vote them out, the PDRC stopped that depsite the claims of Anti Shins being a majority.. you can fool some of the people some of the time, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Seriously, you think that those participating in graft to such extremes decide to keep their ill gotten gains within their own accounts do you? Those that did are bit players, those who are out to make billions have multiple offshore accounts known only to them, so that their assets cannot be frozen.

I've yet to see any "major" arrests or the location of the money from the rice scam being found, if you cannot find that, what makes you think you can find hidden assets mate? Yingluck is on trial fro negligence, where are all those High profile names, that so many people said that the rice scam graft would tumble like a house of cards... looks like they were wrong, as no canaries seem to have been singing have they?

Seriously, if Yingluck wanted to flee, she could, as could anyone with money, small airstrip, small aircraft, in and out without anyone noticing, how do you think smugging works?

Sometimes doing shit low key and low profile is the way, and not the big fanfare, jesus, again, if Yingluck wanted to flee, all she would need to do is don a burhka, have a fake UAE passport, easily provided by her brother, and she could waltz right through Swampy without anyone paying any attention, how many Muslim women wearing burkhas do you ever see being asked to reveal their face? Then sit there on a plane bored out her tits for 6.5 hours, and as soon as she touched down in Dubai, throw the burkha off, and there isn't a single thing Thailand could do about it, other than whinge.

If Yingluck really wanted to leave, she has the funds to be able to make it happen, everyone can be bought for a price wink.png

She doesn't want to leave. I've said before, she has worked out that medium to long term the prospects for a martyred ex leader, newly released when PT sweeps back into power, are worth a not very onerous spell in jail, or house arrest or whatever.

Interesting to know whey as of late, there's a lot of noises about Thaksin this and that,

his passports issues together with his sister issues trusted to the headlines..

there must be some kind of unrest going on and the PM is trying looking to flex muscles

here for all to see, otherwise, it all could be kept quiet and all dealing with Thaksin could

have been done quietly, we we're witnessing otherwise here... why?

Do you think it would be a good idea to make deals with a criminal instead of hunting him down?

Of course the Junta is in control, for every person in Thailand and that includes Expats, all at the point of a gun , now who is going to argue with that, Prayut - O knows that , but does Prayut - O - cha know or understand that according to his promise, Thailand is back to normal Elections by 2016 ( I doubt it) however regardless all these attacks on the Shinawatra clan could be counter productive in the long term, put it this way, going by the norm, The PTP (or its cousin) will win the next election , the people will see to that , so if I had any dealings with the Junta I'd be watching my back, remember this is Thailand, where the motor bike pillion passenger some times isn't only there for the ride. coffee1.gif

who is at the point of a gun? I am not, for sure.

And I prefer by far the control of this general over the country over the control by sophisticated (and not sophisticated) corruption

Thaksin should be hunted down and eliminated or returned to Thailand for jail time. The PM could engage the services of a bounty hunter to do the job. whistling.gif

General Prayut is good friends with North Korea and they have a lot of experience with executions. Maybe there's a purpose for his paternity with North Korea.

General Prayut is good friends with North Korea ...

references please

It may suggest the junta is nervous and insecure and that's dangerous.

Coming out and showing the world who is in control is NOT a sign of being nervous and insecure.

Strange thinking some posters have here on TV.

Feeling like you have to come out and show the world who is in control is the sign of weakness. Doing it shows how you feel.

When one is self confident he doesn't need to prove it.

This is politics. They do not need to show how they feel but they need to show what is fact.

It is not about feeling to be in control but to show who is in control, not for emotional reasons but for political reasons.

It's also important that the world sees a return to democracy Nicky and the country back to the people.

I'll ignore your comments about not being here long and don't understand, as I think the people who have been here longer have had their heads buried in the sand for so long, that can't see what others see, and that there's a much bigger game being played out within the country, and the stake couldn't higher.

Don't for one minute think that because you've been here for so long that you can simply dismiss what's going on behind the scenes, TV keeps it pretty tight, in that some things are taboo, but lets just say us "Noobs" have a mind that's more opened than say someone who has seen this merry go round continue, with coup after coup, and always "but this one is different" .. no it isn't, and neither will the next one be any different.

If you think for one minute that's me siding with the PTP and Thaksin, you're mistaken, it's a common belief amongst "old sweats" , that if you're not with us, you're against us.. Thailand doesn't need Thaksin, and it doesn't need coup after coup after coup becuase the Military don't like how things are run!!

First FH I normally view your posts as fair although often wrong, IMO of course.

The above doesn't fall into the 'fair' category. You pretend to sit on the fence over Thaksin & Prayuth but don't say, apart from the 'democracy' mantra, who or what is needed to bring Thailand up to some sort of democratic scratch. You should know that elections do not equate to democracy and when it takes street protests to reign in a government who think they are above the law, that is a failure of the local form of democracy.

As for your puerile comments about those expats who have been here for a lot longer than you, the ones who have their head buried in the sand are the geriatrics who trot out complete nonsense about how brilliant Thaksin was and even defend his self-serving crimes by distorted 'logic'.

Maybe this coup won't be 'different' and maybe it will - wait until it's finished before pontificating is good advice - but it is and was needed to stop out of control violence by Thaksin-supported militias (who seemed to have the CAPO & police support too). So far they have had mixed success in dealing with many problems, all of which are long-standing & I agree with some of the 'fixes' and not others.

but it is and was needed to stop out of control violence by Thaksin-supported militias (who seemed to have the CAPO & police support too).

agree 100%

The current regime inherited a very failed situation, things were clearly breaking down under the democratic model, there was a lot of factional killing, and normal working people lived in fear of what would happen tomorrow. I applaud the current regime for restoring stability and peace. I also am encouraged by their first steps on tackling corruption and trying to get the nation back on track, after decades of carnage. Much of the corruption and chaos was being orchestrated by Thaksin, and so it is only right that he is one of many targets in the clean-up drive.

I do not envy their task one bit, the problems they faced when they took power were both acute and immense. I think they've done a lot of good things, especially on restoring stability and peace in normal working people's lives.

Things were breaking down under the democratic model, eh? They were breaking down because the Army would not allow the police to do their job.

The breakdown of government was orchestrated to allow a military takeover. Stability at the barrel of a gun is not stable. The majority of the country is seething, biding their time for an opportunity to challenge the current dictator.

Things were breaking down under the democratic model, eh? They were breaking down because the Army would not allow the police to do their job.

The breakdown of government was orchestrated to allow a military takeover. Stability at the barrel of a gun is not stable. The majority of the country is seething, biding their time for an opportunity to challenge the current dictator.

Yes, I would define democratic breakdown under the types of things we were seeing. People unable to vote because voting sites were under attack, voters and voting-staff were getting attacked, threats and intimidation and bribes were being used to change natural voting patterns. People were dying in political factionalism, including bystanders who were too young to even know what politics means.

These things are not called "democracy" they are called "tribal warfare." Democracy is about words, not weapons. It is about debate towards consensus nexus-points, and freedom to choose the party you want to vote for, based on their viewpoints and integrity in the debating process. It is not about violence in any form, including the threat of violence against people who don't vote a particular way.

All the Junta's actions against Thaksin just show how afraid they are of him and his family, and they are only able to do this because Thailand is currently under a dictator who does not allow dissent on pain of punishment. The situation will be different if democracy ever returns to Thailand, and they the Junta will be brought to book for their misdeeds, which the current leader is trying to head off by writing in to the new constitution that he can not be held responsible for his actions whilst being a dictator

stop spreading fear and hatred through lies. Thailand is fairly peaceful. Let's keep it that way.

On the contrary. it is you who is propagation a lie. Is it not true that:

1. There has been a recent increase in violence in the south? (Even if you insist there has not been an increase, the fact that there are ongoing bombings and killings demonstrates that it is not peaceful). In the past few days alone, there have been multiple shootings in Yala and an IED in Saba Yoi.

2. Outside of the southern insurgency, the national homicide rate remains high. (If the insurgency deaths were included it would push the homicide rate even higher.) Don't peaceful countries have lower homicide rates?

3. Road related injuries and fatalities. There hasn't been any improvement in these numbers has there? In a civil society, people drive more prudently and with respect for others.

Thailand is fairly peaceful in many of the farang enclaves (with the exception of Phuket). It is also fairly peaceful in some of the ethnically homogeneous regions. However, the situation is not very good in the national hotspots. I carved out Phuket. Do you know why? It is because the local authorities have refused for the past two years to release the numbers of foreigners killed or injured in Phuket. My understanding is that the position was adopted as the numbers kept increasing. My take away is that one can argue that the situation is improving if one plays with the data or withholds key information.

To top it all off, Thailand sits on the edge of a humanitarian crisis with the Rohingya, faces international sanctions over its fishing industry, has yet to deal with its airline sector which is in crisis mode, and has a sputtering economy. Oh yes, Thailand is in a great place. Yes, it is good that the violent thugs of the Suthep brigade are back in their corrupt rehions of Surat Thani-Phuket-Nakhkon Si Thammarat, and the saboteurs of democracy are back in their "special" occupations, such that their violence has ended, but that doesn't change anything else.

Tell you what. I will climb aboard the military bandwagon the day it finally takes on the small group of families who control Phuket. Let them remove the jetskis from Patong Bay and I will sing the regime's praises. Let the military arrest and charge any one of the multiple people who have encroached on national parkland with their construction and I will march in the parade. Shut down just one of the bogus real estate operators and I will do a cartwheel of delight. Put an end to the immigration shakedowns at HKT, and the forced "fees" paid to the police and I will become a believer. Arrest just one of the master land owners of Bangla Road for complicity in the operation of a firetrap nightclub with inadequate fire exits, and life/safety equipment. If your beloved general does anything to stop corruption, ANYTHING, I will be the first to offer thanks and praise and my appreciation. I'll even go and give him a big wai at a public venue.

"I do not stop any one from liking or loving anyone. But anyone cannot criticise the way I have come into power as I will hit back,'' Prayut warned."

Says it all.

Some years ago oligarchs in my motherland got idea that if they own big money they can own all country as well. President was not agree with it. But they didn't care very much about his opinion... Name of president is Putin. Names of oligarchs are Berezovsky, Gusinsky and Khodorkovsky. They all were billionaires. If somebody still remember their names? .

The paranoia of the junta is deafening.......TS and his family are really starting to cop a bit from the general and will need to be quite careful in the near future.

I'm just waiting for the dopey son, Oak, to open up in FB......

The final irony would be that when there are elections held one of the Shinawatra clan who has not been in politics, runs for office and wins.

"I do not stop any one from liking or loving anyone. But anyone cannot criticise the way I have come into power as I will hit back,'' Prayut warned."

Says it all.

You can call a spade a spade, but don't you dare use the "D-word" or I will hit back!

The paranoia of the junta is deafening.......TS and his family are really starting to cop a bit from the general and will need to be quite careful in the near future.

The final irony would be that when there are elections held one of the Shinawatra clan who has not been in politics, runs for office and wins.

and that, unfortunatly, i wouldnt rule out,, lets hope, with the likely hood of one family member in exile and another either in jail or exile, politics wouldnt. be that attractive a career path.

1. There has been a recent increase in violence in the south? (Even if you insist there has not been an increase, the fact that there are ongoing bombings and killings demonstrates that it is not peaceful). In the past few days alone, there have been multiple shootings in Yala and an IED in Saba Yoi.

2. Outside of the southern insurgency, the national homicide rate remains high. (If the insurgency deaths were included it would push the homicide rate even higher.) Don't peaceful countries have lower homicide rates?

3. Road related injuries and fatalities. There hasn't been any improvement in these numbers has there? In a civil society, people drive more prudently and with respect for others.

Thailand is fairly peaceful in many of the farang enclaves (with the exception of Phuket). It is also fairly peaceful in some of the ethnically homogeneous regions. However, the situation is not very good in the national hotspots. I carved out Phuket. Do you know why? It is because the local authorities have refused for the past two years to release the numbers of foreigners killed or injured in Phuket. My understanding is that the position was adopted as the numbers kept increasing. My take away is that one can argue that the situation is improving if one plays with the data or withholds key information.

To top it all off, Thailand sits on the edge of a humanitarian crisis with the Rohingya, faces international sanctions over its fishing industry, has yet to deal with its airline sector which is in crisis mode, and has a sputtering economy. Oh yes, Thailand is in a great place. Yes, it is good that the violent thugs of the Suthep brigade are back in their corrupt rehions of Surat Thani-Phuket-Nakhkon Si Thammarat, and the saboteurs of democracy are back in their "special" occupations, such that their violence has ended, but that doesn't change anything else.

Tell you what. I will climb aboard the military bandwagon the day it finally takes on the small group of families who control Phuket. Let them remove the jetskis from Patong Bay and I will sing the regime's praises. Let the military arrest and charge any one of the multiple people who have encroached on national parkland with their construction and I will march in the parade. Shut down just one of the bogus real estate operators and I will do a cartwheel of delight. Put an end to the immigration shakedowns at HKT, and the forced "fees" paid to the police and I will become a believer. Arrest just one of the master land owners of Bangla Road for complicity in the operation of a firetrap nightclub with inadequate fire exits, and life/safety equipment. If your beloved general does anything to stop corruption, ANYTHING, I will be the first to offer thanks and praise and my appreciation. I'll even go and give him a big wai at a public venue.

The south, truth less lives lost in the last year, no more dead bodies piled in army vehicles, Thaksin once stated to the south--if you do not vote for us you will receive no government help---or similar words.

Refugee problem has been around for years, more publicity now.

Phuket---Suthep thugs---Immigration----real estate cheats were encouraged by the last corrupt rabble---Inroads into National parks problems are happening--did you mention anything about RED thugs ???

You had better go and give the P.M. hugs -re-corruption They started at the top end---Yingluck--PTP---Thaksins passport----slung out vast numbers of top admin staff in all regions for abuse of power and corruption---top police replaced in so many regions----

I am sorry you have not even bothered to look into real improvements, suppose it has to do with your agenda again--propaganda.

Things may not yet be hunky dory but this PM has done far more than Yingluck in it's 1 year, than she did in her 3. most people are not comfortable with military rule, but the truth is elected or not this is better than of late.

In your bleeding dreams, another newbie on the bandwagon to promote the Shin clans last bit of a hold. Who do you think that magic Shin member will be ??

Yinglucks son ?? he may get a sympathy vote.

In your bleeding dreams, another newbie on the bandwagon to promote the Shin clans last bit of a hold. Who do you think that magic Shin member will be ??

he'd probably get that and a bit more, enuf to win ? unfortunatiy i'de have to say yes .Perhaps the courts when they find her guilty could find a way to ban the whole family from holding public office? seems a pretty pragmatic solution.

The failed situation as you describe it appears to have been engineered by a rather bitter group who had been plotting to overthrow the democratically elected government of Thailand ever since Yingluck was elected PM. I appreciate that there are many who will disagree. However, the aforementioned comment is my understanding of the prevailing opinion of the countries who had condemned the suspension of democracy in Thailand. Now that the Nation has quoted Thaksin's comment, this perception is finally out in the open. It is the view that colours outside opinions.

How has the current administration restored stability and peace? Are you aware that there is an uptick in violence in the south? Are you aware that many parts of the northeast are still subject to draconian freedom of movement restrictions such as curfews? Would you like to be restricted to your home after 9 pm? My friend's village is subject to such a rule. Remember the big explosions on koh Samui and all the allegations made and how we were promised big names would be named quickly? What happened? What first steps on tackling corruption? NOTHING has really been done. The easiest mess to have cleaned up would have been Phuket and the diabolical jetskis. NOTHING has been done. In fact it can be argued that the situation is worse than before. All those promises of a clean up of the taxi/tuk tuk mafia, and an end to forest and beach encroachment, and still NOTHING.

You talk of decades of corruption. In what era? The short period of Thaksin's time in office saw the most robust economic growth in the past 25 years. It was accompanied by the largest gains in foreign investment, and improvement in social benefit indices. You blame Thaksin for all of Thailand's corruption. Well, considering that the most corrupt region in Thailand is the Surat Thani-Phuket- Nahkon Si Thammarat region, which is also the most anti Thaksin region, and also known as Suthep's playground, who do you think is responsible for corruption in that region then? What's your position on the new multi billion baht palm oil fund intended to support palm oil extraction factories? If you are against corruption and in favour of transparency, how can you support the "fund".

When you refer to "normal "working people, do you even know any? I mean really know them? As most of the population is outside of Bangkok and is found in places like the deep south and Issan, where the instability and fears are unchanged, your generalization is off the mark. People in Pattani still live in fear of being blown up, and people in Ubon still live in fear of being detained without charge or access to legal counsel or a fair trial.

Which part of his post contains a lie? Remember Suthep was the one holding Bangkok hostage. The south is no different today than is has been for the last 20 years. I guess reading a specific multi point insightful post about recent history here is spreading fear and hatred to you.

Which part of your post contains a glaring omission about holding Bangkok hostage? Most of it.

Who was holding Bangkok hostage during the riots of 2010 ending with the burning of Cental World? Could it have been Suthep and the PDRC? Unlikely as Suthep was a deputy PM and the PDRC hadn't been born then. Could it possibly have been the UDD and the Red Shirts. I guess recent history in the last 5 years doesn't work for you. There was certainly a lot of fear and hatred in Bangkok at that time or had you conveniently forgotten that bit.

Prayuth is living on borrowed time.

When the big event happens he will be sorry he opened his big gob so much.

For me, Thaksin with all his "Thai encumbrances" is the man to sort this country out.

He has more ability and flair than the rest of them put together, and that is what they are so scared of.

PS: I just want the best man for the job, red/ yellow/ green purple or whatever..

Convicted criminal fugitives are OK with you are they?

Why doesn't your "best man for the job" return to face his ounishment and the other 15 outstandig charges then?

After all if he is innocent what has he got to fear and if he is guilty then he is obviously NOT the best man for the job.

And that comment unfortunately lets the cat out of the bag and sitting on a big pile of you-know-what as far as the PTP is concerned, which is that its members are not only bought and paid for by Thaksin, but even then cannot be trusted,not one of them, unless they are a relative of the criminal in exile. The last one, Yingluck, (poor thing) not only had to publicly proclaim she was a 'clone' but had her public announcements issued through social media where Thaksin could control the output. So, 'not about Thaksin' but really a fight for democracy? Nobody is buying other than the Western Wannabe strugglers for lifestyle freedom. And so it goes....

bout time.this 'bought and paid for ' nonsense was stopped being used, In one way or the other almost everybody is' bought'. its just degrees of , some more than others.but all bought just the same. using it in a broad poltical arguement is hypercritical and hypocritical.

Edited by rijit

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

he'd probably get that and a bit more, enuf to win ? unfortunatiy i'de have to say yes .Perhaps the courts when they find her guilty could find a way to ban the whole family from holding public office? seems a pretty pragmatic solution.

They now are in a no win situation---the more uncovering of the past events the more aware the Thai public are.

The family Shins deserve to be banned look at their court appearance history. Surely this is a pointer to how they perform, REALITY.

All Thailand wants is not the Shins, nor a military government really--it needs a democratic run government not just a democratic elected one. I would go for hard line Singapore style, and clean--modern--forward thinking nation----who is afraid of military -hard line governments------Corrupt people and the ones that condone them.

You always have so much to say but never provide any links/ evidence.

Why?

Geriatrickid

'people in Ubon still live in fear of being detained without charge or access to legal counsel or a fair trial.'

My extended families in Ubon and their villages have a different thought from you. They feel more freedom now than previously because in the past, you are expected to support The Reds otherwise you are consider an outcast. Now unless you had been doing something wrong, you have more liberty to choose what you support or do.

Compared to this time last year Thailand is considerably more calm.

WHile never 100% peaceful before under any government, the current one is

making progress, more obviously when they keep their mouths shut. PR is not their strongest suit.

The talons of the Shin Clan Political Machine are gradually being removed one by one.

This is a basic need for actual democracy to be returned, Thailand was not democratic before,

not for over 10 years. The will of the people was manipulated by an over arching political machine

much like USA 120 years ago and Europe with it's networks of feudal interconnections and guild systems.

A machine that pre-purchased the local political lords and their small machines BEFORE the election,

horse-trading done before not during the post election deciding on a PM by ministers of Parliament.

One can hardly see having pre-purchased an election majority using personal favors,

direct payments to leaders of postings and control assignments,

and grand payoffs masquerading as socialist perks.

There is nothing democratic about that, it's business.

A majority vote could be delivered for a price, and we saw the effects of the Rice Mafia demanding their

payment from Yingluck, via the 'Rice Pledging Scheme' and the massive nationwide flood that it lead to

immediately after the last election. Save the rice at all costs regardless of the 2 extra typhoons of water

that the dams can't hold. They lost a lot, the money never flowed down stream to the little people who

grew the rice, only the over lords, millers and top men made out, and the little people started rebelling

increasingly. That's what really brought down Yingluck and clan. Suthep and allies saw that happening

and made use of it. But lacking that crack in the Shin machine they couldn't have moved successfully.

Yes the Rhohinga situation is an ongoing tragedy, much as they have been arriving in Italy at present

and the Vietnamese boat people and the Hmung after the Viet Nam war. This is one of the things that

is a HUMAN misanthropy and not strictly a Thailand misanthropy. That there are amoral people profiting

on them, and not seeing them as the 'same level of human beings so subjugatable goes to the 80 year old

nationalism beaten in to the brains of all and every Thai child.

Thais exceptionalism vs all their neighbors something that was accepted as a way to

'build one people from a crossroads hodgepodge of cultures',

but has not long out lived it's usefulness, but is unpatriotic to dial back.

Thai individuals are a product of their natural and artificial location and cultural mores which are slow to change,

and deeply ingrained. The electronic communication age is accelerating that change as more of the young

can understand Thailand and the world around it. But it will still take generations to create real change,

when the old guard does it's best, as they were trained to do, to shut down outside influences

and preserve 'the Thai way'.

But there are many good signs that change is coming, gradually, which is safer for the little people.

And regardless of HOW the THAIS choose to get there, and it certainly is an imperfect route,

change is obvious for any longer term viewer, and our making comparisons to our home cultures,

are of only relatively little validity, because out experience sets as cultures are hardly similar.